Daniel's tank upgrade to RSM 250

Squatch XXL

I have read over your whole chronicle as a new observer. Thank you for your enthusiasm, and great quality posts. I have "learned" a few things by reading. You confirmed a suspicion of mine involving moving critters from one tank to another REQUIRING the monitoring of doused levels. Sorry that you had to lose some coral, but thank you for your brutal honesty. I always feel a bit of sadness when corals are lost....Most Acro frags are worth more than my entire collection of live stock.

(I wanted to add/offside that this site seems to have some of the most honest posters. Threads that have tank issues identify the issue AND the damage done fairly well. The unfortunate side of the "hobby" is that more is generally learned from mistakes than from triumphs. We all want to have a tank that is "perfect", but honesty helps others in the hobby versus brushing over)

I looked over your photos from the beginning, and LOVED the intensity that the 12g had. I definitely noticed the drabness when you changed over....however you upgraded your lights and it had that "Pop" that makes corals just glow. Kudos, and thanks again for the great information. I will continue to pop in from time to time as a lurker, but what you are doing is great!

(I love chronicles. It is a great way to keep a tank vicariously...They can warn you of future issues)

Danreef

I have read over your whole chronicle as a new observer. Thank you for your enthusiasm, and great quality posts. I have "learned" a few things by reading. You confirmed a suspicion of mine involving moving critters from one tank to another REQUIRING the monitoring of doused levels. Sorry that you had to lose some coral, but thank you for your brutal honesty. I always feel a bit of sadness when corals are lost....Most Acro frags are worth more than my entire collection of live stock.

(I wanted to add/offside that this site seems to have some of the most honest posters. Threads that have tank issues identify the issue AND the damage done fairly well. The unfortunate side of the "hobby" is that more is generally learned from mistakes than from triumphs. We all want to have a tank that is "perfect", but honesty helps others in the hobby versus brushing over)

I looked over your photos from the beginning, and LOVED the intensity that the 12g had. I definitely noticed the drabness when you changed over....however you upgraded your lights and it had that "Pop" that makes corals just glow. Kudos, and thanks again for the great information. I will continue to pop in from time to time as a lurker, but what you are doing is great!

(I love chronicles. It is a great way to keep a tank vicariously...They can warn you of future issues)

Thank you very much for your comments !!!

I have learned and continue learning from my mistakes. The best way to teach someone and our-self, when you have a thread like this one, is to document what is going on. There are many threads like mine on this forum, and all of them are a learning experience.

All the best and keep your fingers crossed that the tank continues its evolution without big issues.

Daniel

Danreef

You can not see this Acro in my FTS and from some reason I keep forgetting about it.

It was a 1" frag 2 years ago. Then grew to a small colony. I had my nutrient issue and was brown and almost dead. Yes, only a small piece , of less than 2", looks alive and totally brown. I was so angry that I almost trash it, but instead I glued in a piece of rock at the back left side of the tank. I glued it there because it was a really bad place for an acro. I was focused on saving the full tank and this guy was really disposable at that time. Low light and low flow, just to let him die slowly.

Well, destiny wanted something different for him.

From a trash piece we have this today.

WELL DONE ACRO !!!!

You can only see 3 branches at the left back, look the purple montipora, exactly where the air tubing is, near the return pump. That one is the guy !!!!

He is growing like an open hand. Like looking for the space and telling the others...." I did it ".

Cheers
Daniel

Danreef

I found this picture from Dec 2013 when he was growing in the 13 G Mr Aqua tank. Then was relocated to the RSM250.

Is the one in the center with 3 small branches.

Here is a picture of that tank from the side where that coral was. You can find it very easy.

Cheers
Daniel

Tokalosh

Hi Dan

I've just had the pleasure of reading your entire thread, and I'm a little lost for words.

You have given me new hope and determination to get my tank back on track again, a job well-done mate. Your tank is stunning and I'm more impressed with your determination in solving what was wrong.

In your honest opinion now that you have been through it all, do you think one could keep SPS only in the RSM250 without the benefits of a refugium?

I do belive that one can reach a point of utmost perfection, but maintaining it at this level for a period of time is so much more of a challenge without a refugium.

Once again, Thanks

Tok

Danreef

Thank you Tok for your comments. I have also read your full thread when I started the tank and followed many of your advices. Amazing tank and journey. I was broken when I read about your crash and impeller issue.

I am traveling now. But I would like to provide a better answer tomorrow when I am back home.

As an example Oxy has an amazing SPS tank and she do not have a fuge.

Let me get back to you tomorrow.

Best !
Daniel

Oxylebius

As Daniel mentioned, I don't have a fuge. Tok, you can check out my thread. I started w/SPS and have maintained SPS for over 4 years now and is still doing well.

BTW Daniel you mentioning traveling reminded me that you are supposed to be traveling my way sometime soon!

Danreef

As Daniel mentioned, I don't have a fuge. Tok, you can check out my thread. I started w/SPS and have maintained SPS for over 4 years now and is still doing well.

BTW Daniel you mentioning traveling reminded me that you are supposed to be traveling my way sometime soon!

I was in Washington last week. I never received an answer to my PM so I didn't bother you. My next travel will be in April. For the next trip I will bombard you with PMs ..... :)

Danreef

Man I am jealous, what kind sand are you using, i see different ones in there?

Thank you !!!!.....you can have the same tank.

I have a mixture of medium grain and crushed coral sand.

If I have to start again a SPS tank I will be using just a fine layer of medium grain sand. Only for visual and for some snails.

Best !
Daniel

Koestby

Wow a truly stellar tank, ive read it before but it still amazes me. I just got some Matrix for my tank, struggling with some no3, due to a high bioload. I used to run a mediarack, but its gone now. Do I need to run the matrix in a bag? Or can I just dump it where the mediarack was before? Im thinking about adding 500 ml at first and the other 500 later.. I`ve converted to Aquaforest productline about a month ago, using the probiotic salt. But yet too see any progress/improvements regarding no3/po4. I try too run my Kh at 7 ish.. Keep it up Dan :)