Oxy's RSM250

DaveR11

Hi Sue,

Your tank is looking great. I love the green and pink chalice. What is the pale green knobbly coral to the left and below your Duncan please? I've always liked your blenny. I wonder how one would get on with my shrimp goby? Would it make Mr Grumpy even grumpier....?

Dave

Oxylebius

Hi Dave -- The green knobby coral is a Montipora palawanensis - the slowest growing coral I have!

For what its worth...when I got it from another reefer I was told that he had obtained his frag from a reefer in his club who had obtained his frag from Steve Tyree. More info here.

This coral is the brightest neon in my tank. Amazingly bright. And it fluoresces under my moonlights (the neon green is incredible). My pictures don't really capture the neon color well.

Take this pic for instance - it has given the coral a blueish hue when compared to the gsp next to it. But, in real life the neon green of the pala is similar to the neon of the gsp.

DaveR11

Hi Dave -- The green knobby coral is a Montipora palawanensis - the slowest growing coral I have!

For what its worth...when I got it from another reefer I was told that he had obtained his frag from a reefer in his club who had obtained his frag from Steve Tyree. More info here.

This coral is the brightest neon in my tank. Amazingly bright. And it fluoresces under my moonlights (the neon green is incredible). My pictures don't really capture the neon color well.

Take this pic for instance - it has given the coral a blueish hue when compared to the gsp next to it. But, in real life the neon green of the pala is similar to the neon of the gsp.

Thanks Sue. It does look very striking even if the colours don't some across properly in the photos. I've never seen anything like it in an LFS here but I did find this on one of the mail order coral suppliers here in the UK. Looks similar so maybe they have mis-identified it.... What do you think? Their picture doesn't so it justice if it is the same species as yours.....

https://reefworks.co.uk/shop/montipora-danae/

Oxylebius

Montipora is one of the largest genera of corals with vastly divergent groups that encompass almost every type of coral growth. What you may find is that sometimes corals are identified incorrectly. And sometimes an identification can only be made by microscope analysis of the skeleton. It is possible for corals to be incorrectly titled. And sometimes photos are used to misrepresent a coral.

That pic doesn't look like a danae, here is what danae's look like: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2008/2/aafeature2

The palawanenses may be hard to find depending what country you live in. It is threatened in the wild and is uncommon in the trade in some countries. The way I got it was a frag from a fellow reefer. The danae is more common. Here is more on the palawanenses. And here.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
The problem is that it is hard to find and determine what acros are deepwater and thus like lower light levels. Any suggestions? Adding some yellow and pale blue would be a welcome contrast to my tank, as much of the color is reds, pinks, and oranges , with a few greens and purples in the mix. A rainbow of color would be AWESOME! :D
A lot of the smooth skin acro's you will find will do alright in lower lights :) A. lokani would be an excellent choice, especially given the yellow/greens they come in! A. granulosa is another cool one! Just keep an eye out for the smooth skins and they should be good for that spot!

The chalice's are amazing too :D

Oxylebius

Ah, thanks @Pat24601 . I just edited the post above to add a second video.

Yes, I still plan on getting rid of that one coral that is growing everywhere and killing off my other corals. You have to look closely for that encrusting coral that is killing other corals by growing over them, like this poor little acro I got at MACNA. It is now bleaching from the bottom up b/c that other coral is growing up and on it.

And in each of the circled locations below are where you can see this coral growing over and killing other coral. I have to find a way to stop it or my whole tank will be covered in this drab light blue/grey montipora digitata.

The circles from left to right explained: 1) grey digi taking over and killing off a green digi, 2) the grey digi taking over a orange digi, 3) Right top circle, the grey digi is now along the interior bottom of the monti cap, 4) right bottom circle is hard to see but the grey digi is killing off a sunset monti.

Last edited:

Oxylebius

Quick update on tank happenings over the last two weeks...

I haven't pulled any rocks out yet to kill off the encrusting coral. I did begin to scrap off the encrusting monti away from some acros. So, a little death in the tank, but it didn't spike an ammonia reading at all. Others are having the same problem that I am, you can read more about it here: Removing Sps

Last weekend I did do some trimming back of corals. Now the gorgonian has room to sway in the surge of the wave maker. And the tips of corals that were touching other corals and thus died and were growing some algae, those tips got pruned back. I also pruned corals that (in another week or so) would be touching other corals.

It is time for some bulb replacement, so maybe tomorrow I will dig into that a bit. I also have an acan cluster that my clowns keep burying in sand, so I need to figure out a new location for it.

Some of the corals weren't looking too hot a day ago, so I poked around and found that the Ca 1g jug was empty. I'm not sure how long it had been empty for, but long enough that the tubing on the dosing pump was completely dry. :duh: I mixed up another gallon and over three hours poured 100mls of Ca into the tank and set the rest on the dosing pump. The pump dosed another 50mls from 1-3am. The next next morning all the corals looked back to normal. Truthfully, I hadn't tested Ca and Alk in a couple of months, as I had gotten the tank fairly stable dosing 50 mls each daily w/a 20% water change every 3rd week.

With the recall on Hanna Alk reagent, I am unable to test it and determine how off the Ca is to the Alk. Ca and Alk are linked and if I add too much Ca I can drive down Alk (causing precipitates). So, considering I added one 3x higher than the other, I have to be careful b/c I can really throw off the balance. With these chemicals it is not a matter of adding one to get its level up.

I think I will do another water change tomorrow to be on the safe side of getting the parameters back in order. All the corals look fine, no pouting or showing distress issues, so I'm not too worried right now. The dosing pumps are dosing equivalent amounts of 50mls daily. Hopefully by early next week I will have new Alk reagent and can do some testing and see where I need to make some changes.

Last edited:

Oxylebius

@melvis Thanks. The next time I create a time series like that I think I will place a black box around each pic to make it easier to see, as the pics kinda blend into one another.

Okay, I have to admit that I am a little worried about the Ca and Alk levels, only b/c I don't know where they are. And I'm not going to dose anything beyond the 50mls of each per day on the dosing pumps... So, I'm just trying not to think about it at this point... the water change tomorrow will ease my worries a little... I won't be home today, otherwise I'd be all over the water change today.

Oxylebius

Awesome! The big question .... What are you going to do with them?
@StirCrayzy
Well, later in the evening the clowns were making a ruckus, so I went over to see what was going on and the hermit crab was chowing down on the eggs and the clowns were going berserk nipping at its shell and hitting it with their tail, etc. I took the long pinchers that I have and grabbed the hermit and placed it on the other side of the tank and then feed it a large piece of krill.

This morning all the eggs were gone. The circle of life I suppose. Perhaps both the hermit and cleaner shrimp went after the eggs in the night (or some other predator). But, when I got home from work this evening I went to check on the clowns and there is a new batch of eggs there, though a smaller clutch number this time. Crazy clowns are getting busy!

Congratulations, that's so cool.
@NickF
Thanks! It is absolutely cool!

Congrats Sue ! Will you try to raise them?
@nanoreefing4fun
Not yet. I will do more reading up on what it entails. Maybe I will attempt to raise one of the later clutch's. Do you know that my two clowns are from the same clutch? They are siblings, captive bred themselves. Yes, inbreeding is occurring in my tank.

DaveR11

@StirCrayzy
Well, later in the evening the clowns were making a ruckus, so I went over to see what was going on and the hermit crab was chowing down on the eggs and the clowns were going berserk nipping at its shell and hitting it with their tail, etc. I took the long pinchers that I have and grabbed the hermit and placed it on the other side of the tank and then feed it a large piece of krill.

This morning all the eggs were gone. The circle of life I suppose. Perhaps both the hermit and cleaner shrimp went after the eggs in the night (or some other predator). But, when I got home from work this evening I went to check on the clowns and there is a new batch of eggs there, though a smaller clutch number this time. Crazy clowns are getting busy!

@NickF
Thanks! It is absolutely cool!

@nanoreefing4fun
Not yet. I will do more reading up on what it entails. Maybe I will attempt to raise one of the later clutch's. Do you know that my two clowns are from the same clutch? They are siblings, captive bred themselves. Yes, inbreeding is occurring in my tank.

Wow Sue the clown fish breeding, then predation and violence and incest - sounds like an episode of Game of Thrones in your 250!