New Reefer Rant

chanceafrance

I’m just going to dive in with a thousand and one questions. I jumped in with little money and less experience, but everyone’s gotta start somewhere… right? Things are going well so far. Feel free to add your critiques.
<br />
<br />
55gal
Amm 0 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 5
Gravity 1.025
Calcium ~500ppm
Alk ~1000
Temp 76-81 F I’ve heard this is just fine and this a terrible fluctuation. My Aqueon 200w heater doesn’t do any better.
<br />
<br />
Dosing SeaChem phytoplankton (one capful twice a week) to promote the copepod population (no terrible algae problems yet, I don’t turn my skimmer off so maybe nothing is happening?)
<br />
<br />
I filled the tank with Reef Crystals and Minneapolis tap water in late September. No problems with the water or algae blooms so far. I’ve been using Petco seawater at $2 a gallon for weekly 5gal water changes to avoid buildup of tap water impurities. Anyone know anything about Petco tap water? I read it’s from too close to shore in Cali to be very good, but I’m in Minnesota so I’m not sure.<br />
<br />
<br />
I’m running a Seaclone100 protein skimmer, and I understand that it sucks. I already returned the first one within the two month return policy, and will be doing so again in another two months. Hopefully I’ll have the funds to upgrade by then. In addition I have a 150GPH water pump that I aim willy-nilly. I hear off the glass is best, but my pump isn’t that powerful so maybe more of a direct blast?<br />
<br />
<br />
Lights, hear me out. I only have button polyps and colt coral, so it’s not that important right? Anyway, I’m running two 36watt full spectrum T5 flourescents 12 hours a day, and then a blue/white 10 watt LED light during 12 hours at night. The LED is more for mood lighting, is it a problem to have it on at night? I figured any extra light helps since I don’t exactly have a lot. I’m planning on getting real lights, right after I get a better skimmer…<br />
<br />
<br />
Only 10 lbs of liverock so far. I paid $12 a lb for two pretty purple and green rocks from A World of Fish. The nitrogen cycle was a success in spite of my pathetic amount of liverock after about two weeks. <br />
Some hitchhikers I found just recently while cleaning include a red caterpillar looking worm, and some probable feather dusters (or weird snails that look like little hard tubes on the liverock). A patch of dark green (hair?) algae is growing on a small corner, could this become a problem? I have lots of what look like roots running through my liverock. Any idea what they might be? It’s definitely dead now.<br />
I just used rocks outside and some to layer the bottom and make a nice little cave. I keep rearranging things on impulse. Is this okay, or am I risking my animals’ health by constantly moving things around?<br />
<br />
<br />
I added a fire shrimp (from Petco, I suck I know) two weeks in. He’s molted twice now, and he seems to be doing well. I hand feed him flakes, and he’s my favorite. I meant to buy a $10 shrimp and when he rang up at the register he was $37. Needless to say I’m stoked he’s still alive. I didn’t get any snails for my CUC. I just don’t like snails. Should I get snails?<br />
<br />
<br />
A week later came the Banggai pair. I definitely added them too soon I know. A World of Fish had a pair for $100, but my cheap *** got a pair from Petco for $30. They love frozen brine shrimp and baby brine shrimp but won’t touch flakes. I’ve been heavily feeding them, and I have brine shrimp eggs on hand in case I ever see a mouth bulging with babies. Any suggestions to encourage this? <br />
I have an upside down heated two liter with an airstone for the BBS. I tried using light to separate the BBS from the old eggs but have had zero success. I just pour it in slowly and most of the eggs stick to the sides of the 2 liter. It seems to be working. I hope I’m not doing it wrong?<br />
<br />
<br />
Onward with my terrible decisions! Two weeks later (~3 weeks ago) I bought a $15 (colt?) coral frag from Petco, and the guy gave me a button polyp frag for free. I figure I’ll never know if coral will live in my tank until I try. The button polyp has been doing well, although it’s reaching for the light quite a bit? Or is that just how they look?<br />
The colt coral is all over the place. From what I’ve read that’s just kind of what they do sometimes, but also could be because my water quality sucks. It’s slumped over shriveled up with no polyps, and a few hours later 4x bigger and covered in polyps. Not sure what to make of it? I recently aimed the pump at it to avoid a mucus build up, but it doesn’t necessarily like the current. Should I run the pump on and off every half hour, or just during the day, or not aim it so directly at the colt coral? Not sure if having inconsistent currents like on a real reef actually matters or if a constant current does the same? The Banggai’s also seem to enjoy the extra current as compared to without it. I hope dosing the phytoplankton helps both of these corals either directly or in a round-a-bout way.<br />
<br />
<br />
As I read about Banggai babies I came across the longspine urchin. They were $15 at Petco so I once again jumped in and got one about a week after the coral. He’s been cleaning my liverock and glass and is so cool. He bumped a frag but hasn’t knocked any over yet. He’s really small right now, but I think he may need a bigger tank someday if he gets huge? Does anyone know how long that usually takes? I’d like to upgrade eventually anyway. I spot fed him a few algae pellets right when I got him, is this necessary or should there be plenty of coralline for him in general?<br />
<br />
<br />
My last addition was just four days ago. I noticed I had an absurd amount of copepods on my glass and rocks, so I thought my tank would be able to support a dragonet in spite of the warning that you should wait months before adding one. This time I went to my new favorite LFS called Aquatropics. They only sell marine fish and coral and have a beautiful shop. I went in with the intention of buying a green mandarin, but the one in the tank just didn’t look the same as the internet. He was dull and didn’t move or eat at all which from what I’ve read is a huge red flag? Anyway I noticed the ruby red dragonet and decided it was BEAUTIFUL, and it was eating! And better yet they had a pair! So instead of one $30 difficult to care for fish, I walked away with two $40 difficult to care for fish.<br />
I am under the impression that you shouldn’t quarantine dragonets if you can’t feed them properly, so I didn’t. So far one of them is eating quite a lot of the copepods, but the other has mostly just been hiding in one spot. I read this is normal, but I am concerned about the one. They are just under an inch long and so damn cool. The Fire Shrimp actually cleaned the bolder one. Is there anything I should know about these guys? <br />
I figure as long as I see copepods they must be fine. I also feed BBS to the tank as a backup food source (the Banggai’s love the BBS and I know button polyps can eat them too).<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
I’m going to try to wait awhile to add another fish. I know I rushed it a bit, and I‘ll need to set up a quarantine for any newcomers now that I have some $ in fish in there. I’m planning on avoiding Petco for future purchases as well, although my local one has a very dedicated employee.<br />
But when I do get another fish, what should I get? I need a centerpiece, and I want something big. Most people would say tangs need a little more space. I’ve read a flame angel would do just fine, but the guy at Aquatropics said they needed at least 75g? This same sort of fine line seems to be drawn for a whole bunch of fish. So what do you guys think would work well? If my colt coral and button polyps do well I hear they can actually become a problem, so coral nibblers aren’t necessarily out of the question. I was thinking I could get a little saddle puffer at the risk of my fire shrimp, or even a dwarf lionfish at the risk of my red dragonets? Or is a dwarf angel a better bet? Another LFS said a (I assume dwarf) yellow angel they had would do fine?<br />
Other additions could be some pretty rainbow looking wrasse or a hawkfish. Would all filefish take out my shrimp or are any small enough?<br />
<br />
<br />
Any other cool invertebrates that I could look into? I’ll look into coral if I see success in my current frags and upgrade my lights.<br />
<br />
<br />
On a side note, Aquatropics sells Macroalgae. Should I buy some? Or would it just be weird in my main tank since I don’t have a sump?<br />
<br />
<br />
Anyway there’s my rant. Thanks for your input!

DaveK

Welcome to the group.

Ideally, the time to make your first post would have been before you purchased anything, however, whats done is done. Actually you could have done a lot worse. I do have some comments and advice. Some of it may seem a little harsh. I do not intend that, but you have some areas that should be corrected. Don't take this personally. Everyone was new at this once.

"...Dosing SeaChem phytoplankton...", discontinue this for the time being it's doing more harm than good at this point. Don't worry too much about pods until you have the tank well established.

"...I filled the tank with Reef Crystals and Minneapolis tap water...", long term get your own RO/DI unit so you know your water source is good. You just don't know what your getting with water from your LFS. Plus, that gets expensive, and you have to lug it home.

"...I’m running a Seaclone100 protein skimmer..." Speaking from personal experience here, this skimmer is just about the worst I have ever owned. My advice is to replace it with a skimmer that is worthy of your tank, and to smash the SeaClone to bits to avoid inflicting it upon some other unsuspecting hobbyist. Be careful here, there are some good skimmers out there, but there are also a lot of junk ones. Expect to pay for something decent.

"...Only 10 lbs of liverock so far...", this is not nearly enough, You want about 1 to 1 1/2 pounds of live rock per gallon of water. For a 55 gal tank, you need 55 pounds of rock. Live rock is the primary biological filtration in a SW reef system. Don't skimp on it. The being said, you need not go out and buy that expensive LR. You can do fine by getting dry reef rock. It's far less expensive, but you will need to give it time to mature, and in effect become live rock.

"...I didn’t get any snails for my CUC. I just don’t like snails. Should I get snails?...", I'd highly recommend snails as part of the clean up crew. I'd get several of each clean up crew type snail, starting with about 10 - 12. You can always add more later. Small hermit crabs can be a good addition also.

"...A week later came the Banggai pair. ....", They love frozen brine shrimp and baby brine shrimp but won’t touch flakes..." Not a bad choice for fish, but they should be fed a better diet. Brine shrimp is a good food to start a fish feeding, since many will snap it up, but long term it got little nutritional value. Get some of the frozen foods like mysis shrimp, clams, bloodworms and so on. You can also try one of those pellet fish foods. My fish seem to like those better than flakes.

Don't worry about trying to breed the Banggai's or hatching out brine shrimp for now. You'll have plenty to do just getting the tank going. Also with two of them, your not even sure if you have a male and female.

"...I bought a $15 (colt?) coral frag from Petco, and the guy gave me a button polyp frag for free. ..." Good choices for first corals. The colt coral seems to be acting normally. Soft corals tend to do this. It's normal. Look for it to grow. Growth can be rapid. The current should be moderate and not blasting it. Colt corals will also throw a lot of slime. Again that's just what they do. If your going to handle it, get some latex gloves. The slime they have really smells bad and is hard to get off of skin.

"... Anyway I noticed the ruby red dragonet and decided it was BEAUTIFUL, and it was eating! And better yet they had a pair! So instead of one $30 difficult to care for fish, I walked away with two $40 difficult to care for fish. ..." This can be a nice fish, but you don't have a large enough system to support them. You need about 50 gal of water to produce enough pods for a single fish. Sometimes you can get them to take frozen bloodworms or mysis shrimp, but your best course of action would be to return them to your LFS.

For now, don't add anything else. Your pushing things hard as it is. In a few months, once the system is stable, we'll talk about other fish. You are going to have to be careful with your selections. Puffers will eat your shrimp and likely a lot of your CUC. Dwarf lionfish will also eat your other small fish. They can swallow a fish almost as big as they are. Some of the dwarf angles are good. Hawks will eat your shrimp, but otherwise good. You have to be careful with any wrasses. They will wipe out the pod population, which your going to need to feed the dragonets. As you can see, with a reef system, you need to be careful about what you add.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
some great advise ^

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

chanceafrance

Welcome to the group.

Ideally, the time to make your first post would have been before you purchased anything, however, whats done is done. Actually you could have done a lot worse. I do have some comments and advice. Some of it may seem a little harsh. I do not intend that, but you have some areas that should be corrected. Don't take this personally. Everyone was new at this once.

"...Dosing SeaChem phytoplankton...", discontinue this for the time being it's doing more harm than good at this point. Don't worry too much about pods until you have the tank well established.

"...I filled the tank with Reef Crystals and Minneapolis tap water...", long term get your own RO/DI unit so you know your water source is good. You just don't know what your getting with water from your LFS. Plus, that gets expensive, and you have to lug it home.

"...I’m running a Seaclone100 protein skimmer..." Speaking from personal experience here, this skimmer is just about the worst I have ever owned. My advice is to replace it with a skimmer that is worthy of your tank, and to smash the SeaClone to bits to avoid inflicting it upon some other unsuspecting hobbyist. Be careful here, there are some good skimmers out there, but there are also a lot of junk ones. Expect to pay for something decent.

"...Only 10 lbs of liverock so far...", this is not nearly enough, You want about 1 to 1 1/2 pounds of live rock per gallon of water. For a 55 gal tank, you need 55 pounds of rock. Live rock is the primary biological filtration in a SW reef system. Don't skimp on it. The being said, you need not go out and buy that expensive LR. You can do fine by getting dry reef rock. It's far less expensive, but you will need to give it time to mature, and in effect become live rock.

"...I didn’t get any snails for my CUC. I just don’t like snails. Should I get snails?...", I'd highly recommend snails as part of the clean up crew. I'd get several of each clean up crew type snail, starting with about 10 - 12. You can always add more later. Small hermit crabs can be a good addition also.

"...A week later came the Banggai pair. ....", They love frozen brine shrimp and baby brine shrimp but won’t touch flakes..." Not a bad choice for fish, but they should be fed a better diet. Brine shrimp is a good food to start a fish feeding, since many will snap it up, but long term it got little nutritional value. Get some of the frozen foods like mysis shrimp, clams, bloodworms and so on. You can also try one of those pellet fish foods. My fish seem to like those better than flakes.

Don't worry about trying to breed the Banggai's or hatching out brine shrimp for now. You'll have plenty to do just getting the tank going. Also with two of them, your not even sure if you have a male and female.

"...I bought a $15 (colt?) coral frag from Petco, and the guy gave me a button polyp frag for free. ..." Good choices for first corals. The colt coral seems to be acting normally. Soft corals tend to do this. It's normal. Look for it to grow. Growth can be rapid. The current should be moderate and not blasting it. Colt corals will also throw a lot of slime. Again that's just what they do. If your going to handle it, get some latex gloves. The slime they have really smells bad and is hard to get off of skin.

"... Anyway I noticed the ruby red dragonet and decided it was BEAUTIFUL, and it was eating! And better yet they had a pair! So instead of one $30 difficult to care for fish, I walked away with two $40 difficult to care for fish. ..." This can be a nice fish, but you don't have a large enough system to support them. You need about 50 gal of water to produce enough pods for a single fish. Sometimes you can get them to take frozen bloodworms or mysis shrimp, but your best course of action would be to return them to your LFS.

For now, don't add anything else. Your pushing things hard as it is. In a few months, once the system is stable, we'll talk about other fish. You are going to have to be careful with your selections. Puffers will eat your shrimp and likely a lot of your CUC. Dwarf lionfish will also eat your other small fish. They can swallow a fish almost as big as they are. Some of the dwarf angles are good. Hawks will eat your shrimp, but otherwise good. You have to be careful with any wrasses. They will wipe out the pod population, which your going to need to feed the dragonets. As you can see, with a reef system, you need to be careful about what you add.
Thanks for the input. I just bought another 10 lbs of 'dead' liverock, so I'll get there eventually.

I have heard a lot of concern about the red dragonets. The LFS said they were eating frozen food, so I trusted them. They haven't taken to it yet, or maybe they have? It's hard to tell. I'm going to chop up the frozen shrimp as fine as i can to see if that helps.

Can I get a copepod tank going on the side? Or does it need to sumped to my DT in order to get them to thrive?

I still have the reciept for the seaclone, so I plan on upgrading within the month.

Thanks again for your help, I made my gf promise not to let me buy any more fish for the year.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Desmond

Great advise above there.
You could have a look into a stc 1000 unit to keep your temperture more stable. They are cheap unit and great. I would reccomend it for sure. Very reliable also i have had no issues with mine at all.

DaveK

... The LFS said they were eating frozen food, so I trusted them. They haven't taken to it yet, or maybe they have? It's hard to tell. ...

Well, consider this a lesson learned. LFS "lie", or to put it nicer, they usually are clueless when it comes to any sort of advanced aquarium system, and are motivated to make sales.

A couple of food they might take are frozen bloodworms, other frozen worms, and if you can find them, live black worms. Live black worms can only live a few min in SW, so do feed them carefully. The fish might also go for newly hatched live brine shrimp, but you'll need to get some brine shrimp eggs and hatch them in a separate container. Live adult brine shrimp is ok to get the fish feeding, but usually in not a good long term food.

chanceafrance

I have baby brine shrimp i've been hatching and feeding the Banggais, and I think the dragonets are eating them too hopefully. But i'll definitely try the worms. It's just so hard to see what they're even eating!

But thanks and yeah I picked up on that when I tried to talk to them about returning the fish.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Tru2nr

Dave hit the nail on the head, one thing I always do if I'm purchasing a fish from a LFS I make them feed it, or get to know their regular feeding schedule and go there during that time. When the feed it for me I usually ask them to feed it what I am feeding at home if possible or a close substitute. I would say if you cannot sell the dragonets back, maybe Craigslist them or put them up for sale through your local clubs forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the group.

I'm brand new to the hobby too, and I don't have much to add to this thread as of yet. I just wanted to say to DaveK, that this was some of the most patient and helpful advice I've seen yet. I've been reading several forums, Facebook groups, and and anything else I can lay my eyes on, so I say this with some background for judging. Thanks for this!

DaveK

Thank you for your support, @alexkharden. It's worth taking the time to explain to someone what they are doing wrong, and why another method is better. Everyone in this hobby was new once, and even if they don't care to admit it, they also made a lot of beginner mistakes. Over the years, I think I have made almost every possible mistake. Offhand, I think there are only a few people on this forum that are older than me, so I've had a lot of chances to mess up my system.

Last edited: