My RSM is cray

jm47

Hello all, I have a RSM 250 that has been running for about 6 months. This is my third reef tank and at this point I feel like I've learned next to nothing... Anyway I wanted to post a thread as I've had an insane day with it. First I noticed some kind of Eucinid worm in my rockwork. I watched it grab a small Cerith snail and pull it into it's lair. Lucky for the snail it was a bit too big and it escaped. The worm grabbed it two or three times. I tried setting a trap with a bit of food on a skewer. I actually was able to feel the worm grab the skewer, it was strong. The other part of my trap was a pair of scissors, I hoped to cut its head off (I've read this is a bad idea after the fact as they can revive themselves from a bit of themselves). Anyway I was not fast enough, I guess the hairs on the worm alert it to danger, they are faster than I am. In the process I destroyed part of my rockwork...the worm won today.

In that same rock I have a gorilla crab...I've managed to stab it in the head once and it's still alive...

After lights out I saw a brittle star I put in about 3 mos ago. It was the first time I've seen it's full body since introducing it. Well about 3 mins into watching it I watched one of my emerald crabs go ham on it. It was serisously like Godzilla vs King Kong for a sec. The crab grabbed one of the starfish's arms and just started chewing the shit out of it. I intervened with some nori and the crab let it go. Seriously it was one of the wildest things i've ever seen, the crab just picked the whole starfish up by the tentacle and started eating it.

Frankly the starfish seemed totally fine after it was let go. I watched it eat a few pellets afterward.

So, the eucinid and the gorilla crab are sharing the the same rock. I do have a few sps corals attached to the rock but I think I'm going to do a freshwater dip to hopefully drive them out. What do you all think? This has been one stressful day!

jm47

and now I can see a snail that I cannot identify, it looks like a cerith with a flanged shell and some some of chiton I think. the chiton looking thing is totally white, actually looks like a mix of a chiton and a limpet. what a hobby eh?

Squatch XXL

I noticed some kind of Eucinid worm in my rockwork
Trap it and remove it entirely, or keep it in a species specific tank. You are correct in worrying about cutting it in half. Everything I read about them is scary. I would go to great lengths to make sure to get it out. Wear gloves, and watch your hands when in the tank. However, If you don't want it someone else might. They are quite interesting....much like Hannibal Lecter is interesting. Try to photograph it.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
If you know which rock the bad guys are in....
I think removing that rock out of your tank into a QT tank would be a good option.
Not having seen a tank picture (a picture would be nice!) another option might be to remove the corals so you can leave them in the tank & take the rock out.
How easy is removal of the rock housing the bad guys? :fishy:
A picture would be awesome if you can post one of them after you get them out of there :D Good Luck!!

Squatch XXL

That is a stressful day!
I cannot say I would be abject to having one of these in a species specific tank....but I would make sure that it was in no way plumbed into my other systems......I thought the mantis shrimps were mean....These worms are only in the ocean because someone left a gate to hell open long enough for one to get through. I am convinced that these critters are certainly high ranked demons.

jm47

Luckily the worm and the crab is in the uppermost rock. I think I'm going to try a freshwater dip to drive them out hopefully. This pic is older and was taken before I glued some coral to it but I think I can relocate the coral without doing too much damage.

My stress level is over 9000 right now with my tank. Last night I watched a Peppermint shrimp going ham on a torch coral, it looked like a little kid ripping thru xmas presents. I banished the shrimp to my sump.

Attachments

• reef.jpg
    reef.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 11