SaltNoob's RSM 130D Adventure.

BryanD

I looked and could t find any reviews on the switch. I too am curious if the temp increase is just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heat issue seems to be light related.

I found my temp issue was not from the change in return pump from duel to single but from my added in tank circulation pump. Turned it off and temp holds a steady 81.5 from 84.

As an aside i put a small room fan in the corner of my basement as i found the spot i located tank had little airflow. The little room fan made about 1-2 degree change as well and now it holds a steady 80

SaltNoob

So, I'm trying to figure out his to set up the light timer thingamabob and can't find out how. Went through manual and nothing.
Perhaps I'm just a stoner and keep skipping it.
Any help would he appreciated.
Thanks...

Manimore

So the dial has the white pins. You push the pins out for the time period you want the light on. The switch always remains in the on position. You can turn the dial to the current time. Not exact because it's increments of 10 minutes I believe. Once you have it setup just ensure that the switch next to the timer is also on and the switch on the dial is in the middle position. That should do it.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
this pic has helped many...

HoodTimer.jpg

SaltNoob

Hey all!!!
So my foray into the world of salties has been a successful one, IMO.
Things are going well. All parameters are spot on, the fish are happy and my little Xenia (Sally-Mae) is growing at a rapid clip.

However...
I'm starting to see some (more than id like) green algae forming on my rocks and some reddish algae atop my sand.
Perhaps too much light?
Hope all is well with everyone...

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I doubt too much light... (unless more than say... 12 hours a day)

just a guess would be... you need to increase the cuc (snails - one per gallon) don't overfeed (usually the HUGE key) you would need to list what you feed, how much you feed & how often you feed, along with 10-15% weekly wc (list how often you are doing wc & what %) & keeping fresh chemical filtration (if you are running any) list what...

also list how many fish you have & what kinds...

with all the ^ sure some members can help - pics would help too...

the reddish algae is very likely cyano & is usually related to overfeeding

:cheers:

SaltNoob

Howdy, all!
The tank is doing great and My Xenia is turning into a sexy BEAST!

All seems well... except....

I'm having some SERIOUS evaporation going down. A result of the T5s, no doubt.

So...
Hard to convert this over to LEDs?
I've never examined the inner workings of the tank in regards to the "power cord" chamber. Is all this fairly self explanatory/easy?
Thanks in advance to any comments, advice, links etc...

And
MERRY FISHMAS!!!

BryanD

I'm losing about a liter a day with heat on in house.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

SaltNoob

I'm losing about a liter a day with heat on in house.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
Roughly the same here...
Perhaps a move to LEDs is the most appropriate course of action seeing as how 30-40 degree nights call for the heater to be running.

spiraling

I lose that amount and I did switch to LEDs. The house humidity is low and the tank is warmer than the air, which caused evaporation. Do you have an ATO?

SaltNoob

Hey all!
Long time, no post, huh?
Well, my little box of ocean is doing well.
I've been amazed with the "ease" of taking care of a salty.
While more difficult than my freshies, it's definitely NOT the horror story I heard so often regarding salties.
Here's a current pic...

My Xenia is doing well and I've got a Zoa going now also (Not sure what type. I'm assuming it's the "mutt" variety. LoL) He seems happy and is flourishing.

Anyways, question for y'all...

Can I buy a FIXTURE for the Red Sea 55w T5 PC Flourescent bulbs? I'm NOT looking for a replacement for the 130D, but rather a fixture to use the bulbs elsewhere (Planted freshy).

Any info would be greatly appreciated...

FISH ON!!!

Attachments

• 20160218_164515.jpg
    20160218_164515.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15

SaltNoob

So, the tank is doing OK except yesterday a huge amount of reddish brown algae (?) appeared on my walls. Doesnt appear to be diatoms. Should I scrape it off?
Any ideas?

Also...
My skimmer pump is limping and I'm looking for a new one.
Suggestions?

Thanks!

Last edited:

SaltNoob

Hey all!
Here's the rub...
The blue lights on my T5s are nearly nonexistent.
I got new bulbs and when I switch to just the blues at night the are very VERY faint. Almost nonexistent until the eye acclimates.
Is this normal?
I would like something a bit more "moonlighty". Do I need separate lights for that?

Thanks in advance...
The Noob

SaltNoob

I'm really not sure about the lighting in the 130, but the blue LED moonlights in the 250 are faint. As such, some people have added additional blue LED light strips in between or around the T5HO lights. A quick search on this brought up these threads. I'm sure if you do your own search, you can find a few others as well.

Kman's Red Sea 250

LED Strip between T5s

Seed's Reefer 350
Thanks, Oxy.
I installed some blue LEDs I had laying around the garage. Simply tacked them on lightly and ran them around the underneath of the hood.

Worked great.

Thanks again!