Quarantine

Manimore

so since we can't seem to keep fish alive despite near perfect water parameters we are letting our Red Sea max fallow for up to two month and are setting up a quarantine tank. It's a 14 gallon biocube found on Craigslist. My question is do I just fill it with saltwater and watch for ammonia or nitrate spikes then do large water changes or do I try to cycle? I really don't want to use water from the rsm since I don't want to introduce whatever disease is in there into the quarantine.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6

Manimore

Only new additions that will later go into the rsm. At which point I am pretty sure we will empty the biocube and keep it in storage until we need it again. Hospital or qt at that time.

Coraljunkie

If it's for fish that you have I'd use tank water from your current tank and start treating with seachem paraguard asap along with keeping a very close eye on ammonia and nitrite. If you don't have any fish remaining I'd let the tank cycle while your display goes fallow for at least 10 weeks. After the tank cycles, depending on what fish your gonna buy I would treat them with seachem paraguard for 30 days then put them into the display.

Manimore

I have no fish atm so I will just cycle the biocube. There is some bioballs in the back to hold bacteria. I will look into paraguard. I figure cycle, then introduce 2-3 fish one week apart then watch and Medicate as needed. If no meds required then wait until the rsm had its 10 weeks and transfer one fish per week.

Coraljunkie

I tried the route of watching the fish and looking for signs of sickness and decided not to treat and unfortunately ended up at square one again.

Coraljunkie

I tried the route of watching the fish and looking for signs of sickness and decided not to treat and unfortunately ended up at square one again.

Manimore

So treat with paraguard no matter what kind of preventative? Does it contain copper? Can you give me a quick how to? Cycle, paraguard as on the bottle, fish. How many waterchanges per week and how much each time?

Coraljunkie

Does not contain copper. You dose it once a day I think it's 5ml per 10 gallons but I'd check on the bottle to be safe. As far as water changes go, that'd be up to you. Just make sure you cycle the system before doing anything. It's much easier on you and the fish of you don't have to worry about ammonia levels and nitrite

Manimore

Ok I have a plan then. Tank is running with fresh saltwater. I added ammonia. Wait for 0-0- and a little nitrate then get fish. We are planning pink skunk clown pair, pink spot goby and 4 blue eyed cardinals but the cardinals are a long way off for now. We will start with the clowns.

DaveK

So treat with paraguard no matter what kind of preventative? Does it contain copper? Can you give me a quick how to? Cycle, paraguard as on the bottle, fish. How many waterchanges per week and how much each time?

I'm not a big fan of medications like this. If you check the manufacturer's web site you'll see that they really do not tell you what is in the product.. This is from their website "...ParaGuard™ employs a proprietary, synergistic blend of aldehydes, malachite green, and fish protective polymers that effectively and efficiently eradicates many ectoparasites on fish (e.g. ich, etc.) and external fungal/bacterial/viral lesions (e.g., fin rot)....".

When I see this sort of questionable stuff, I think "snake oil" and that your best avoiding the product entirely. For medications I would consider using, depending upon the disease, see this thread - http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/...cking-the-marine-fish-medicine-cabinet.23117/

As for treating fish on a preventive basis, yes this should be done in at least some cases. Many clows seem to arrive with clownfish disease. Tangs can often be 'ich magnets". Other fish seem to have less problems, so it more a question of how you feel about it.

As for water changes in a quarantine tank, almost any med that actually works will tend to kill of the bacteria base in the tank. You usually need to test for ammonia, and if you get a reading, make a large partial water change. Yep, you'll be running through a lot of water. Don't forget to re-add the med for the amount of water changed.

rostervandross

What is a good structure for a quarantine tank? I have my old 20g cleaned out and ready to make back into a hospital or new fish quarantine tank.

I am thinking:

Bare 20g tank, with perhaps a couple pvc tube pieces for cover

My nice hang on back filter (sponge, ceramic media/live rock pieces, carbon)

What meds to have on hand for treatment/preventative treatment?