emrald crabs

eric faatz

Hi,everybody haven't been here in a couple yrs. busy life style I guess.well the 75gal tank still going strong and doing well.i hope everyone is doing well.I bought some emrald crabs to get rid of some hair alegy.i got 3 not how many I need for a 75gal reef tank but I thought I start out with three and see how it goes.should I get a few more.or wait.

thaks eric

Coraljunkie

I'd wait a few weeks to see to see how they handle it. The thought of an emerald crab in the tank with nothing to eat makes me sleep less

ReefApprentice

I've had a single emerald crab in my 90gallon for 2 years now. I know they'll eat bubble algae likes it's candy but I've never seen them actively eat hair algae. They should do fine assuming when they run out of a food source you give them supplemental feedings of algae "pellets,sheets, ect" and maybe a small piece of krill. The only rogue crab is a starving one.

eric faatz

thank you for the response.went to go do water change today and no sign of the crab's at all do they normally hide a lot?there's a lot of hair algae for them to munch on.I didn't want to clean all of it off the rocks so the wait is on.

ReefApprentice

Theyre good hiders but you can usually spot one if you sit by the tank awhile. Another thing to note about them is they'll shed their shells (carapace) about 1 every 2 months. You can tell its a molt by seeing there's no eyes on it. Enjoy your new additions!

Oxylebius

+1 @ReefApprentice
I'd add that if you see the carapace you will know they are still alive. They are nocturnal for the most part and will be in the shadows during the day.

Manimore

My hitchhiker. I believe he is a black emerald crab. He just molted here is the shell. I only see him at night or his claws coming out of the rocks to scrape algae during the day. If he sees me he is gone back in the rock. I tried to catch him but he didn't go for a silverside so I believe he is here to stay.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    741.7 KB · Views: 7