SaltNoob's RSM 130D Adventure.

SaltNoob

My Turbo is no mas...
I went to my LFS today and was advised to get a dozen hermit crabs to go with the two I already have.
This sounds like a lot for my tank.
No?

SaltNoob

2nd water change in the books.
My adopted critters are looking healthy and happy and now routinely swim freely instead of hiding in the crags.
Maybe this saltiedog life ain't that bad...

Marty.h

I have about 12 hermits in my 6x2x2 the problem is if they run out of food they then pick on each other you will also need a good selection of shells of they will try and rob each other and even evict snails if they take a fancy to there shell !!

I would say 12 is far to many for your tank in my opinion unless you going to feed heavy but you can say goodbye to keeping good water quality.

SaltNoob

I have about 12 hermits in my 6x2x2 the problem is if they run out of food they then pick on each other you will also need a good selection of shells of they will try and rob each other and even evict snails if they take a fancy to there shell !!

I would say 12 is far to many for your tank in my opinion unless you going to feed heavy but you can say goodbye to keeping good water quality.
Sounded fishy to me.
Maybe I need to find a new LFS.
Where can I find shells, Mart?
Can I buy them?
Get from tide pools?

I also wanted some snails.
Recommendations?
Type, size, quantity etc?
Thanks for any and all info/suggestions!

Marty.h

I'm not sure where you are located as I'm in UK we either buy shells from LFS or online if you have them in tide pools where ever you are then I can't see an issue with that just soak them overnight in RO water and make sure there nothing already living in them !!

You only need a couple of snails in there what ever you add it has to eat and if there is nothing for them to eat they will soon die.

SaltNoob

I'm not sure where you are located as I'm in UK we either buy shells from LFS or online if you have them in tide pools where ever you are then I can't see an issue with that just soak them overnight in RO water and make sure there nothing already living in them !!

You only need a couple of snails in there what ever you add it has to eat and if there is nothing for them to eat they will soon die.
So after cleaning and whatnot, I just drop the empty shell into the tank?

Marty.h

Yeah that's all I do with mine I put them behind the rocks they soon find them and you will be looking at the tank one day and think I've not see that hermit and it is because it's changed shell haha

I put some new ones in last weekend and the following day a hermit had moved into one of the new shells.

SaltNoob

Yeah that's all I do with mine I put them behind the rocks they soon find them and you will be looking at the tank one day and think I've not see that hermit and it is because it's changed shell haha

I put some new ones in last weekend and the following day a hermit had moved into one of the new shells.
Do I look for shells slightly bigger? Quite a bit bigger? Huge?

Manimore

Amazing service from Red Sea. I think it increased my temp by1 to 81-83 morning to night instead of 80-82 so I put the old ones back in this morning to prove my theory. If I am right I'll stick to the stock ones for now since I don't run a heater or chiller I keep the house at 75 here in Texas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SaltNoob

Amazing service from Red Sea. I think it increased my temp by1 to 81-83 morning to night instead of 80-82 so I put the old ones back in this morning to prove my theory. If I am right I'll stick to the stock ones for now since I don't run a heater or chiller I keep the house at 75 here in Texas.

Good service indeed. I was wondering what the "upgrade" was about. More flow apparently? Anyways, I'll give'er a whirl.

Any idea about swapping out these T5s and dropping in some LEDs?
WAY TOO HOT!!!
Ease of protect?
LED preference?
Etc...?

Thanks for your time, Manimore.

Manimore

I work from home so I have to keep the house a steady temp. If it was t for that I would go led versus a chiller for sure. People complain about the t5 in our tank. This is my second rsm 130d and I bought it used a month ago. I was told the bulbs were new. Since I knew I would need new ones down the road I ordered one and let me tell you these bulbs must be at least 2 years old the new one is so much brighter and bluer I can't wait for the second to arrive and make it even more blue. For shimmer I point my powerhead at the surface. Not the same as led or mh but enough for me :)

SaltNoob

I work from home so I have to keep the house a steady temp. If it was t for that I would go led versus a chiller for sure. People complain about the t5 in our tank. This is my second rsm 130d and I bought it used a month ago. I was told the bulbs were new. Since I knew I would need new ones down the road I ordered one and let me tell you these bulbs must be at least 2 years old the new one is so much brighter and bluer I can't wait for the second to arrive and make it even more blue. For shimmer I point my powerhead at the surface. Not the same as led or mh but enough for me :)

I love the look of the T5s in this tank, but the heat output is insane. When I adopted this tank I was told the lights were a bit old and that there were two new T5s in the cabinet. I can only imagine how much brighter and hotter the new ones are if the current ones are "a bit old."

Manimore

I my old aquapod I modified the lighting in the hood by separating the two bulb with insulation molding and turned one of the fans to suck in air and the other to blow heat out of the hood. Not sure if someone has done that with a Red Sea max but it may be worth the effort. Also the fan blowing across the surface of the water is a must if your house is between 73-77F it causes more evaporation but then again I always considered that to be a good thing. More fresh water :) I ran a softie reef for three years with one water change per year and it did great until we moved and I broke it down. Not advisable for sure since it will lack trace elements of you put any lps and sps in your tank.

SaltNoob

So I lost my giant Mexican turbo about a week (?) ago. I recently purchased 3 Blackfoot trochus snails. They are each about the size of a nickel.
Question...
Can/should I get more of these for my tank? I was hoping to get another turbo but lfs doesn't have any.
Thoughts?...

SaltNoob

So I just got the upgrade pump for the 130d (thanks again, manimore). And thanks Red Sea for getting that thing out to me in about a week!
The specs put this at 410gph.
Does anyone know the combined gph of the two stock pumps?

Last edited:

Manimore

I looked and could t find any reviews on the switch. I too am curious if the temp increase is just me.