Back in hobby after 25 years.

BryanD

Hello all

So back when the dinosaurs roamed the earth i tried to keep a home made reef tank. Back then i had to build everything by hand and it was trial and error. Lots of trial and even more error.

Flash forward 25 years and 2 weeks ago i bought a 130D and set it up. Few minor issues controlling heat and a plugged skimmer pump air nipple but its all good. Decided to contact Red Sea as one the return pump is flaky and they are shipping me the upgrade kit for free! Amazing service from Red Sea.

In the meantime stocked tank with 20lbs cured live rock ( 3 different kinds) 8lbs dead rock. Will wait a couple weeks and add some clean up crew.

Seem to have some sorta slug thing. My daughter is quite grossed out by it.
View attachment 43854 tank week 3.jpg tank week 3 rock.jpg tank week 3 slug.jpg

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Cheers for starting a tank thread and Congrats on your new RSM 130D - Nice start !

a bit hard to see from that angle, but I believe you have a Stomatella snail hh (hitchhiker) Great member of the cuc (clean up crew) congrats - wish I had more of them :nessie:

BryanD

well there all kinds of HH in the tank. Couple smails ( one shelled one non shelled) some feathers (dime sized) a hairy looking star fish about size of a loonie, and lots of little tiny fish like things (transparent with 3 black spots and eyes)

BryanD

oh... the "non shelled" one... could be a nudibranch ... he most likely, you will want to exile :java:
20150904_182751.jpg 20150904_182523.jpg
got a better look and he does have a shell but above left is another odd looking thing?

Then there's these starfish like thing.. have to do some work on tank tomorrow so may get a better set of photos

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Here a guess on the starfish... if they are little and white - Asterina starfish

the above right is a common bristleworm - good member of the cuc - can get back in the rocks and eat debris where snails can't reach - or the tentacles of a micro brittle star - also good

both pics bit hard to tell... my guess ^ see what others think :clink:

on the above left... ??? a peanut worm maybe ???

spiraling

top right dont look like bristleworms to me. Are those the "starfish things" because they look a bit like the banded legs of my brittle stars, but i don't think mine have the bristles?

BryanD

Seems like cycle is done. Cured rock ftw.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5

Added 2 small red legs, 2 turbos and 4 bumblebees.

Last edited:

BryanD

fish-like things? :ponder2:
Pics please, :biggrin:

Lol thats the rub. I cant see them as they are so small but wife could (my eye aren't good enough anymore)

I think they were pods but i keep checking for some super surprise fish.

I did see a new green thing last night. Will try and get some decent photos up as the hairy algae is almost gone.

Want to buy a few more pounds of cured live rock this week end as i like the "reef wall" build style.

BryanD

So think its looking better.
20150912_160742_zpshrjutxnw.jpg

Added some more snails since one my turbos from LFS was purchased dead .

Have a leather to see if tank is really ready

20150912_160731_zpsuwgdzsxo.jpg

the hermits are doing well

20150911_232032_zpsxr4lgfnc.jpg

Scary looking thing,, comes out like a Kraken and then poofs

20150911_231649_zpsn1lvun02.jpg

One my HH crew
20150911_231601_zpsrm5n3fkd.jpg

BryanD

Salinity is 1.26 everything else is good as i did a w/c 2 days ago but the temp is a pain.

Lights off i drop to 80 overnight and lights on for 5 hours will up it to 84.

ReefApprentice

Those are some nice and useful hitchhikers. Very nice looking purple stripe dottyback. However I can't help but notice the large aiptasia on the right side of the photo in the middle of the rock. However it might be a paly from the quality of it.