Dracko's 55g Reef

Pat24601

I ended up checking around and found someone local who needed some additional snails and we ordered a full cleaner pack for the free shipping then we just split it up and saved us both a lot of money.

I've heard of people doing this. Really good idea. The shipping is a killer.

Dracko

Yes. But we only have one store in Salina, Petco. They do not carry a lot of things that the online version carries, because of the limited market here. Next closest is in Wichita and that is 200 m round trip. We have a few people here who have sw tanks that I know of, I will talk to them, but if not I will donate them to the tank at the hospital. God knows I spend enough time there.:ambivalence: And I would rather have more small snails and a few more hermits than turbo snails. After the tank has progressed some maybe I will change my mind, who knows. It will still be a while though I think. I had added another shrimp to the tank (before being told not to) and the ammonia is coming up. I am glad for this because I did not like it not being monitored through the cycle. Now I will know for sure when things are right.:)

Dracko

Cycle complete!!!!! Still wont have the money to order the CUC until the 3rd, unless I get lucky. But now at least I know I can add it. Filters back on. Will do about 5 hrs of lighting a day.

Ammonia = 0
Nitrate = 0
Nitrite = .5
Ph = 8.0
Salinity = 1.026 (Will bring to 1.024 with water change)
Kh =180

I'm stoked!

Oxylebius

Sometimes the Petcos will special order items for you - the only hook is that you need to be there the day of the shipment to pick it up, so that it doesn't go into their tanks. They may have limitations on some mobile inverts like snails, where they can only order it if a certain number of individuals are ordered, like 10 of some kind of snail or two of some kind of fish. But, this is something you can ask and convince them to order for you.

Dracko

DSC00546_zpsj2trtet9.jpg
DSC00545_zpszd9lbfiq.jpg
DSC00544_zpsioytrvn6.jpg
DSC00542_zps0kep6ptl.jpg
DSC00543_zps4unluxrq.jpg

Cleaned the front glass to get some pix. Already talked to Petco and they do special order, but they want a fortune to do so. I will most likely use them for fish as I will be able to see them and reject if necessary, but I plan on Reefs2go for the CUC. They just have the best deal, and I have heard a lot of good stuff about them.

Dracko

100 strong CUC ordered. Ship date is set for the 2nd, weather permitting.

Ammonia = 0
nitrate = 0
nitrite =0
salinity = 1.24
Ph = 8.5
Kh = 180
temp = 76*

Dracko

The shop light I hung over the tank as temporary lighting fried today. Guess I should have hung it higher. It was never meant for tank use, I bought it for my shop. Anyway I found a LED system on sale. Elive brand. Has both day and night with dimmer. Under $100. Hope this lasts a while.

Dracko

Got the CUC today. Was not pleased. The 2 emerald crabs, 10 xlg cerith snails, 20 of30 nassarius snails and 5 nerite snails all DOA. The packing was terrible. Single bagged with just enough water to cover the critters. All the crabs except the emeralds survived, but the package had gotten here 1 day sooner than expected, making me wonder if any would have survived if it had not. The water in all the bags was filthy and stank. And I was supposed to get a lettuce Nudibranch which was missing. Took pix and sent them to reefs2go and told them how disappointed I was with the shipment. I hope they will make it right, but I know they wont pay to ship them. I had ordered the 100 strong crew, so I still have a good amount of crabs and snails in the tank, but I am not sure if I want to order from them again.

anarchy

Wow that's crazy. I've never really had a problem with them shipping. Only problem I had was a "reef safe" crab eat $100 worth of coral but they gave me a credit for the coral. Hopefully they will be good to you also

ANARCHY

StirCrayzy

I've only ordered from reefcleaners, but I do know they barely have any water in the bags, and specifically state that snails and crabs may appear dead for 24 hrs.
Mine mostly revived and got moving within the first day, then most of the rest woke up the next day.
I assume they must've given some direction that would be similar. Did you just toss them all ?

Dracko

No. I knew that and let them sit and continued acclimating until this morning. A few,5 or 6 of the Nass snails yesterday, but nothing this morning. Also the bottom plate, don't know what it is called, sitting wide open on all of them. When freshwater snails are found like that it means they are dead, at least that has been my experience with them. Most survived so I guess I am OK, and they are cleaning like crazy, I just hate for anything to die I guess. Have not heard any more from R2G, except that they will be issuing a store credit. Hopefully I will find out how much Monday. This was a learning experience for me as I have never ordered live critters before. Next time I will know what to expect.

Dracko

I did get my lighting today. Got it set up and on the tank. Looks great, but I forgot to charge the camera battery. Will post picture later.

StirCrayzy

Also reefcleaners recommends instant transfer as opposed to drip acclimation. This is to prevent the waste ammonia in the shipping water from turning lethal when new higher PH water is introduced. Buying local critters, I always drip for an hour, so that was a big Change of routine for me. I do give em a rinse with tank water before dumping em in though.

Dracko

I had read that somewhere else too. Would love more input from experience on this. What about "shock" to the critters? Is this for fish and corals too?

Last edited: