Question on red sea c 250

racin33

Trying to get a idea on how many of you have a bad your evaporation rate is. For some reason I seem to be adding close to 5 gallons or more a week. I thought with the hood it would slow evaporation down. any advice would be great.

Danreef

With the chiller during summer I had no more than 2 G a week. I took out the surface fans.

Now in winter is 1G/week.

Sorry if this do not help you directly.

Do you have your surface fans 24/7 working ?

I also have a lot of surface movements with the pumps that helps to have more evaporation. But nevertheless those are my evaporation rates.

Daniel

Joeys Tank

Relative humidity in the surrounding room will also have an effect on water evaporation as well as surface agitation. Room temperature plays a small role.

racin33

Danreef yes surface fans run 24/7. I'm running a chiller. I will have to look and see what the humidity is running in the house. Thanks, for the response.

phreeflow

Yikes, any chance that much water evaporating could cause humidity or mold issues? I've always wanted a fish room and several large frag tanks but worry about potential water damage or insurance issues. Any thoughts?

Danreef

Yikes, any chance that much water evaporating could cause humidity or mold issues? I've always wanted a fish room and several large frag tanks but worry about potential water damage or insurance issues. Any thoughts?

Dehumidifiers, Air extractors, windows open......those are some of the strategies the reef keepers, with many tanks in the basements, use here in MA.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Never a problem in our home and have not read any post of members having problems this problem, though in a basement ^ I could see it

My tank is 9 inches from a $3,000 TV :) going on 5 years no problems

09f82d2e.jpg

RedSeaKev

RS Sponsor
Hi Folks, Evaporation by design is increased when running the water cooling fans on the Max 130/D/C 250/C if you run a chiller you can turn the water cooling fans off, this will for sure reduce the Evaporation rates.

Glen, That's a tough choice, watch the TV or your Reef :cry1:

racin33

Thanks guys for the info.I do run the cooling fans 24/7. There is a bit of humidity here in FL.got a chiller need to turn the cooling fans off and see how that goes.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
If you got a chiller, nice addition - you can turn the cooling fans off and will will reduce the evaporation by around 1/2

Adrienne

In the last six days I have gone through 18 litres (about 4 1/2 gallons) of RO water with my ATO. Only the hood fans running and my chiller. I'm thinking it's a shame I couldn't get a bigger container as where I live it's nearly daily 100% humidity from mid Dec - mid late Feb.