cleaner shrimp dead

love my tank

Hi

I have a redseamax 130d; started July 20, 2014; 2 clownfish & 1 cleaner shrimp added Aug 4....added another cleaner shrimp which was bigger Sept 4. Today my original shrimp was dead....everything else OK...could the bigger shrimp have killed it?
thx...

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Is it possible he molted? It is pretty common occurrence & when one 1st see it, it looks just like one died. When they molt they go into hiding until their new shell hardens

here is an example

e5unumum.jpg

Snid

Not likely... And are you certain it is dead and not a molt? If you aren't aware, they will molt and shed their entire exoskeleton, including the antennae. He may be lurking behind a rock. ;)

love my tank

thx!! It did molt once but it was all white....after seeing the picture maybe it was a molt....I will look around the tank after work

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Usually the "Molt" you can see is pretty empty and moves easily with a bit of current. The "real deal" will look more fuzzy after a day or so which is the "meat" decomposing which only means your biological filtration is working correctly. Also if it's the "Real Deal" other tank inhabitants will usually be seen enjoying the new "buffet".

Good luck and it's probably just the molt.

Aearin

I've got a huge blood red shrimp and he's molted twice already in my new tank. Every time it happens I'm like fffffuuuuuu! Then I realise it's just skin

lalla197k

I had that happen just last week to my shrimp cleaner, and I was so sad, but then I found him hiding behind a rock, lol, he even grew a bit.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)