Dave's RSM 500

David Shaw

David,
You have done an outstanding job with the tank. Are those large live rocks or smaller ones clumped together?
Also, have you attached the rock together or is free?
Am I to understand unless you put the skimmer on the sump floor it makes too much noise? I have a 400 on the way
and was hoping this model wouldn't have the noise problem with the skimmer.
Great pictures!

Well the rocks are all loose as i like to change things around every so often. They are smaller rocks clumped together to make lots of interesting shapes, caves etc.

I personally have put my skimmer on the sump floor and it is practically silent. My LFS have theirs on the shelf and theirs is silent also. Personally i found i could hear a vibrating sound when it was on the shelf. This is potentially remedied by increasing the water flow to the skimmer so the weight of the water weighs the skimmer down, but i found if i increased the flow to much i got micro bubbles.

I think it is a matter of what works for you and personal preference. At least you can rest assured that you can get the tank running practically silently depending on which option works for you.

Hope this helps.

jeffrey

Well the rocks are all loose as i like to change things around every so often. They are smaller rocks clumped together to make lots of interesting shapes, caves etc.

I personally have put my skimmer on the sump floor and it is practically silent. My LFS have theirs on the shelf and theirs is silent also. Personally i found i could hear a vibrating sound when it was on the shelf. This is potentially remedied by increasing the water flow to the skimmer so the weight of the water weighs the skimmer down, but i found if i increased the flow to much i got micro bubbles.

I think it is a matter of what works for you and personal preference. At least you can rest assured that you can get the tank running practically silently depending on which option works for you.

Hope this helps.

Good to hear about the silent part. Thanks for the info.

jeffrey

Make sure you take pics from delivery to setup !

I will do that Dave. My first passion is photography so there will be a lot of photos.
Twenty two years ago was the last time that I owned a salt water tank. Back then these
kind of sites didn't exist. I hope to learn a lot from everyone here!

Thanks again.

David Shaw

Just dropping in for a quick update.

I have had some spots of coralline building up on the pump nozzle outlet areas so have removed them off for a soak in EzeClean to remove. Will pop them back on in 2 hours.

I also found a square of polystyrene that some fish were packed in to transport from the LFS. Amazingly It is exactly the same size as the skimmer stand. So, i put the polystyrene square onto the sump skimmer shelf, then the skimmer neoprene covered stand on top if it, and then the skimmer.

Bingo, zero vibration and noise. my skimmer is now off the sump floor, sitting on the shelf and with the cabinet doors closed it's running practically silent.

Last edited:

David Shaw

I did think of using white vinegar, but worried it might not be reef tank friendly. Definitely use that next time, once the other cleaning stuff has been used up. Thanks for the tip.

All coralline removed and Tank is looking factory new once more :)

The polystyrene shelf worked a treat, tank is now amazingly quiet, can hardly hear a thing.

modulok

Any estimate on the cost to run the tank yet? I'm figuring it's gonna be between double and triple cost of a RSM 250.

Although lights are many watts, pumps running 24x7 is more costly...let me know if what I have below is correct.

100w main return pump
40w skimmer
3x45w flow pumps

David Shaw

Any estimate on the cost to run the tank yet? I'm figuring it's gonna be between double and triple cost of a RSM 250.

Although lights are many watts, pumps running 24x7 is more costly...let me know if what I have below is correct.

100w main return pump
40w skimmer
3x45w flow pumps

I checked my latest electricity bill dated Feb. This means the tank has been running for two months to the latest bill received and there was no increase from the norm in it at all. Strange but true.

modulok

Possibly more time is spend in front of tank than other activities that use power.

Are the 3 flow pumps all 45w? Oddly enough the stronger flow pump in the RSM250 is 48W (smaller is 23W).

David Shaw

Nope, my behaviour habits haven't changed at all so can't explain in.

I have no idea what the pump wattage is i am afraid, sorry. There are 3 circulation pumps and one return pump. 540 watts of light and a skimmer, no idea what the wattage the skimmer is either.

Built347

Has been struck by the ban stick
I checked my latest electricity bill dated Feb. This means the tank has been running for two months to the latest bill received and there was no increase from the norm in it at all. Strange but true.

That would be nice

= All lies.