Recent content by zoolatry

1. zoolatry

46G of Zoolatry

Yes, it's a Nova Extreme T-5 HO fixture with two 10000 K and two 460 nm actinic bulbs in it. I've had great success with it; the anemone's doing just fine. I do try to change the bulbs every six months, though.
  2. zoolatry

46G of Zoolatry

Despite my lack of posting here, my tank nonetheless continues to grow. It's well over a year old now, and I'm pleased with how things are coming along. The Xenia has taken off and is on its way to taking over at this point. As I don't have too many other corals, I'm content to let it...
  3. November 2009

November 2009

4. November 2009

November 2009

5. November 2009

November 2009

6. zoolatry

46G of Zoolatry

Thanks for your comments! It's good to get some feedback about things. And no, I didn't get new lights as in a new fixture, but I did replace the HO bulbs about a month ago.
  7. zoolatry

Power Outages/Battery Backups

One thing that really troubles me is the prospect of a power outage and the effects it could have on my aquarium. I've put buckets of time, energy, and money into it, and I don't want to lose it! Where I live, the summers are moderate but the winters can be relatively fierce and cold. Each...
  8. zoolatry

Tank mates

What sort of lighting fixture do you have? Two fluorescent bulbs probably isn't going to cut it. You'll need something with multiple (at least 4-6+) HO or VHO bulbs, or you could consider metal halide, though it tends to generate a lot of heat. Personally, I use a satellite fixture with 4 HO...
  9. zoolatry

Some Simple Questions

I just wanted to comment on using Windex to clean your tank - maybe I'm just too picky about it, but I don't do it. What if you accidentally do spray some in the tank, and surely some of the mist might enter the water column when you spray it so close to the tank? An alternative that I use...
  10. zoolatry

46G of Zoolatry

Now that school is over for the summer, I'm devoting more time to my aquarium hobby and even poking around here a bit more. Here's my Xenia today, about a month and a half after the last picture: It's doing really well! My other corals are also doing well, as is the anemone, but the...
  11. Xenia 5-26-09

Xenia 5-26-09

12. zoolatry

Ich!!! Again

I've had the ich problem too and tried a lot of things to get rid of it - I agree that the hospital tank seems to be the only really effective solution to get it gone and keep it gone.
  13. zoolatry

A bad day on the reef

I have a 46 gallon tank, too, which I started last year. Based on my experience, I would say that you're simply moving too fast. You really should only be considering adding your clean-up crew at this point and getting it established. Your tank should mature first for at least a few more...
  14. zoolatry

46G of Zoolatry

Well, I've been very busy over the last six months or so with nursing school, but my tank is still going strong: I've had some ups and downs with it, and lost a couple of fish to one problem or another, but I think I've finally got things set up pretty solidly, with healthy fish and corals...
  15. Xenia

Xenia