Recent content by tektite

1. tektite

loosing colors and cohesion

I'm a her, actually :) It can help, if what the macros need is nutrients like nitrate (through bacteria) or even a little phosphate (often in food). If what the macros are lacking is elements in the water like iron, then no.
  2. tektite

loosing colors and cohesion

I know I answered a few of your questions on another forum, but I don't think you posted your phosphate level there. If its 0, that's a big problem for delicate macroalgae. They at least need some phosphate. Could be your problem here. Adding some iodide and iron could help, but I would also...
  3. tektite

How to properly trim cheato?

Those are the Tigriopus californicus (aka Tigger pods) that I culture, not in tank, just dose them for fish/coral treats occasionally.
  4. tektite

That it is. I put a tiny ball in a 20 gallon sump packed to the brim with hair algae (pod and mysis growing factory :) ), kind of expected it to lose the nutrient battle. The sump was literally an almost solid blob of hair algae. Instead, the chaeto started to grow, and eventually all the...
  5. tektite

Got pods? :D Put it on HD to see the little guys in detail http://youtu.be/XHbSCZObB3M
  6. tektite

Glad the dragon's breath is doing good :) You would probably see a little faster growth as two balls, simply because more of the algae is getting light, especially if they're tumbling.
  7. tektite

I much rather prefer to simply pull a few handfuls off the main blob. Using scissors to cut the chaeto often makes a bunch of little pieces that are annoying and can clog pumps.
  8. tektite

Macro photography (corals and macroalgae)

I need to post some more pics now that I've had the macro lens for awhile, I'm much better at using it :)
  9. tektite

A Picture A Day......

That's awesome Paul :)
  10. tektite

AEFW experiments and study

Day 10, Experiment 1 (Nov 14th) Compartment 1: No change (16 total egg clusters to date), all remaining 5 AEFW present Compartment 2: No change (10 total egg clusters to date), all remaining 6 AEFW present Compartment 3: No change (10 total egg clusters to date), all 10 AEFW present...
  11. tektite

Day 9, Experiment 1 (Nov 13th) Compartment 1: 2 new egg clusters (16 total egg clusters to date), all remaining 5 AEFW present Compartment 2: No change (10 total egg clusters to date), all remaining 6 AEFW present Compartment 3: No change (10 total egg clusters to date), all 10 AEFW...
  12. tektite

Day 8, Experiment 1 (Nov 12th) Compartment 1: No change (14 total egg clusters to date), all remaining 5 AEFW present Compartment 2: 1 new egg cluster (10 total egg clusters to date), all remaining 6 AEFW present Compartment 3: No change (10 total egg clusters to date), all 10 AEFW...
  13. tektite

Day 7, Experiment 1 (Nov 11th) Compartment 1: 2 new egg clusters (14 total to date), all remaining 5 AEFW present Compartment 2: No change (9 total egg clusters to date), all remaining 6 AEFW present Compartment 3: 1 new egg cluster (10 total to date), all 10 AEFW present Compartment 4...
  14. tektite

Day 6, Experiment 1 (Nov 10th) Compartment 1: 3 new egg clusters (2 very small, 12 total to date), all remaining 5 AEFW present Compartment 2: 2 new egg clusters (9 to date), 1 AEFW dead, 6 AEFW present Compartment 3: 3 new egg clusters (9 to date), all 10 AEFW present Compartment 4...
  15. tektite

Day 5, Experiment 1 (Nov 9th) Compartment 1: 2 new egg clusters (9 to date), all remaining 5 AEFW present Compartment 2: 2 new egg clusters (7 to date), all remaining 7 AEFW present Compartment 3: 1 new egg cluster (6 to date), all 10 AEFW present Compartment 4: No change, all 10 AEFW...