Recent content by subsea

1. S

A discussion on Immunity

For certain the article validates what you say about gut cavity bacteria enhancing fish immune system. Ever since I followed your advice and started going to the HEB live seafood counter for mussels & oysters, my reef tanks have come alive. Of recent, since I have learned some of the...
  2. S

Feeding Mandarin

Uncle, If your pod populations are mature you may already have the food webs necessary to sustain adequate populations.. As a rule, amphipods are herbivores and copepods are detrivores. Your porous rock may well provide enough food for your mandarin. They live in substrate as well.
  3. S

Fantastic Whiteworms

Neat. Why do you say that these worms are more nutritious than pods. I thought that marine algae’s supplied complex omega enzymes to increase nutritional value of pods. I am raising silver mollies that graze on marine algae. I feel that their nutritional value is enhanced by what they eat.
  4. S

Tank turned 49 this year

Paul, You and I are doing a new build at about the same time. Because 90lbs of uncured diver collected rock from the GOM is curing in outside 150G Rubbermade tanks, I need speed my project up so as not to incur winter heating requirements. I agree with you on the sponges and three months ago...
  5. S

Tank turned 49 this year

Paul, Thank you for making my day more rosy. Next week, I am setting up a 120G new build. As I am interested in producing live food with larvae from sand bed detrivores, I planned on using < 2” of CaribSea “Special Reef Grade” aroggonite with a reverse flow undergravel filter. What depth and...
  6. S

Tank turned 49 this year

I have overflowed complete systems due to snails in piping.
  7. S

Tank turned 49 this year

Paul, just being the person that you are helps. It was only after a divorce from a 38 year marriage that I realized, I can’t fix everything. I am not sure I can fix myself anymore, much less someone else. Keep on trucking my brother. You inspire many people. I am in the middle of reading...
  8. S

Tank turned 49 this year

I copied the reverse flow ug filter on some 40G breeder tanks, it worked, but was not set up long enough to prove anything. For long term operation of a sand bed deeper than 1”, reverse flow prevents detritus from sinking deep and clogging sandbed. With certain facultative bacteria, there most...
  9. S

Fish are Smarter than we are

While working on a drilling rig in the days without satellite tv, we would talk after the work day in the galley. Be sure, iron sharpeth iron. In one discussion, I thought I had the Barge Engineer on the ropes when I told him that God had appointed me as steward of the earth and as such I was...
  10. S

Copepods?

As a as a back up food source of live food, including pods, set up largest HOB box that you can get as a refugium. No light necessary. Just throw in rubble and seed with live pods to quick start.
  11. S

Tank turned 49 this year

Paul, What size tank? Details like reverse flow under gravel.
  12. S

That thing about fish changing sex, I recall a specific scenario with Clown Fish. In Clown fish hierarchy most are immature males, then there rises a super male. There is only one female in the tribe. When she dies, the “super male” morphs into a female.
  13. S

Paul, you are unique. I laugh too much when I read your stuff. After getting into your thoughts, it reminds me of how I sometimes thought after an LSD trip. Remember, I was raised in the sixties.
  14. S

A discussion on Immunity

Paul, I seem to remember a post you made about the symptoms for MS going away when your wife was pregnant. I found that very interesting that symptoms would go away during pregnancy, yet return after baby is born. I think that is in the realm of “Intelligent Design”.
  15. S

Fighting ich with kick-ich / garlic & vitamin c

Even after doing this for 45 yrs, I still have fun. However, the intricacies of how nature works all its details fascinates me. Nothing happens in a vacume. A reef tank is an eco system that is holistic in nature. Different components of the biological filtration system are interconnected...