Recent content by steved13

1. steved13

Juan's Monster FOWLR- 750Gallon DT - 1,000+ System

Great build Juan!! I'll be stopping by, if only to live out the dream fish room through your thread. Great to hear from you and that all is well at home!
  2. steved13

Low pH - problem identified but help needed

I tried running tubing from outside into the skimmer, it helped very little, about .1 increase. You don't have to open the windows all day, but if you can change the air in the room a couple of times per day that will help greatly. Also, make sure you have plenty of surface turbulence, for gas...
  3. steved13

UV Sterilizer - Suggested Flow Rates

I would flow around 250 - 300 GPh, you'd be turning the tank through the UV well over once per hour and have a high kill rate for the tougher organisms. You'll kill the plankton also, but IMO most of that is only what we add anyway.
  4. steved13

Vortech MP10 Users

I changed mine, throughout the day. I used an Apex and later a Profilux controller, both with the ability to automate the intensity and mode. I would run NTM throughout the photo period and Lagoon during lights out. I would also very the intensity, growing from "dawn" through "midday" and...
  5. steved13

Customer service contact for Tunze?

When I needed it I got the reps number from the place I bought the Tunze, you might start there. From their website TUNZE GmbH High-Tech Aquarium Technology: How To Contact Us Contact us: TUNZE USA LLC 305 Victor St 78753 Austin Telephone: (512)-833-7546 Facsimile: (512)-832-6082...
  6. steved13

High phosphate and low ph

My pleasure...keep us updated
  7. steved13

Dosing

Not as easily but it could be done. I would use a dosing pump, or some sort of drip. I think you'd get better control, and an easier system. One thing I haven't seen mentioned. If you suspect you may need to dose, monitor your parameters more often and see how much they are dropping over...
  8. steved13

Ok, the Red Sea kit gives a meq/l result. here is a great article on pH and solving low pH problems. Much of it has already been talked about here, but this is very well written, and says much more than I ever could. Low pH: Causes and Cures by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
  9. steved13

Yes Alk will definitely impact pH. Your 3.5 is meq/l and not dkh, correct? I assumed it was.
  10. steved13

read all the words Steve! You did say that in your original post, but I forgotit in my reply. The variation could be 7.6 and varying lower. If you haven't yet check the pH of your new water change water. Also, make sure the room the tank is in is well ventilated, open some windows and...
  11. steved13

That's kind of odd, usually there is a variation. You might try a different test kit, just to verify.
  12. steved13

Cycling Help

Yes "just keep waiting"...and testing. You need to establish a bacteria colony to convert waste, from Ammonia to Nitrite and the nitrate. No matter how well cured, it is extremely unlikely the bacteria which convert nitrite to nitrate are present. Therefore until nitrate appears nothing has...
  13. steved13

Pods are good!! We knew that!

Tiny Grazers Play Key Role in Marine Ecosystem Health Apr. 2, 2013 — Tiny sea creatures no bigger than a thumbtack are being credited for playing a key role in helping provide healthy habitats for many kinds of seafood, according to a new study by the Virginia Institute of Marine...
  14. steved13

Pics of my newest additions

Very nice!
  15. steved13

Zoa Question...

They should be able to stretch to get what light they need, as Glenn said they will probably start to migrate onto the rock.