Recent content by SkyReef

1. SkyReef

What is the QUIETEST External Pump?

Thanks, again, J.P. Great recommendation!
  2. SkyReef

What is the QUIETEST External Pump?

Epilogue: I installed my new Dart 3600, and I love it. When I first turned it on, it was so quiet, I thought that it was not running. But it was. If you get up real close, you can hear a tiny whisper of a fan, which is completely undetectable when standing in front of the tank. That's it. No...
  3. SkyReef

No Tru-Union Ball Valve Before External Pump Inlet

Thanks, Dave. Good points to consider!
  4. SkyReef

Thanks, JPSika. So, even if I got the single-union, without the ball valve, to gain an ability to remove the pump without draining the sump, it will still be positioned sideways. I think I might try just doing it inline, without a sideways mount, to get maximum quietness. I can hear a lot of...
  5. SkyReef

If I use a tru-union ball valve on the return line, just before the inlet of the external pump, I gain an ability to remove the pump without draining the sump. However, in order to fit the tru-union ball valve + pump behind my tank, (i.e., the pump with the added length of the tru-union ball...
  6. SkyReef

Does Teflon Paste Cause Milky Salt Water?

Right. We're all good here.
  7. SkyReef

Not a problem so far because it only occurred when I was doing a leak-test on the aquarium, with no life in the tank to be harmed by anything toxic. Since then, the tank has been thoroughly scrubbed, new water, etc. The tank is crystal clear now.
  8. SkyReef

That might come to pass, but so far, my chiller is chilling just fine.
  9. SkyReef

Apparently, the latest theory on the white stuff in my tank is the coating that is on the flexible PVC (SpaFlex), which apparently creates a white-water havoc for about a week, unless washed in a vinegar bath, first. Hmm...I wonder what the culprit was....
  10. SkyReef

Do I Need to Fuss With Spa Flex?

Thanks, Dave. I did notice a noise reduction in my Iwaki setup, once I switched to partial SpaFlex.
  11. SkyReef

Great, thanks, Sasquatch!
  12. SkyReef

I had to use Spa Flex on the return lines from my external pump, to quiet things down. Previously, my Iwaki 40 MD RT pump caused the hard PVC on the return lines to vibrate and make noise. I ditched the Iwaki and will now replace it with a quieter pump: the Dart 3600. Question: can I go back...
  13. SkyReef

Should I Upsize My Sump's Drain Hole?

Thanks, Frankie, great suggestion! One other thing: the overflow design of both tanks allows for a fairly brisk draining of water, given that it uses the BeanAnimal-2+1 drainline design. So with one line always being a siphon, much more water is evacuated to the sump. With this in mind...
  14. SkyReef

Good points, Dave. Maybe'll Ill have the pump tap into the chiller, as well, to utilize some of that electricity and flow. Thanks.
  15. SkyReef

Thanks, Dave. I'll match it. No, I have only the two small tanks going into my sump. My chiller is fed by a submersible pump. Do you recommend patching in my chiller to make it a third outlet for the Dart? Thanks, JPSika. Correct--I erred in suggesting that a 2" hole would accommodate...