Recent content by Paul B

1. Paul B

Tank turned 49 this year

This morning I collected and changed 40 gallons of water. I had to filter it because it was choppy and it rained hard last night about 2" so it was full of chopped up seaweed, bikini tops, truck tires and sand.
  2. Paul B

Tank turned 49 this year

Almost. Actually one of my fireclowns is 32 and his mate is just a couple of years older so soon they will have their 40th anniversary. :)
  3. Paul B

Tank turned 49 this year

So now I am re married as we renewed our vows in Bermuda. We are married 50 years. My wife found this church from New York and called the priest to see if the guy could perform the ceremony. We took a cab there and the church was all locked up but thats another story. A woman called and...
  4. Paul B

Collecting Amphipods in the Long Island Sound

The Long Island Sound was formed by a glacier and the rocks it left are covering the beaches and the bottom of the Sound. No clean, sandy beaches here. Our ocean beaches are all pristine sand and very boring. https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/hh270/urchsearch/Big_rock.JPG][/URL]...
  5. Paul B

Collecting Amphipods in the Long Island Sound

You can't see it well in the video but after I lift a rock, I just rub my hand over the bottom of the rock, and the amphipods stick to my hand. When I want a lot more amphipods, I bring a larger bucket and swirl the rocks in the bucket. That way I get them all. These things make great...
  6. Paul B

Tank turned 49 this year

I took another amphipod hunting video early this morning just because the last video I took doesn't work for some reason. When I get time I will see if this one works. I won't be able to get down there for a month or so now as I have other things I need to do least of which is get a new...
  7. Paul B

Tank turned 49 this year

I added so many amphipods in the last few days that I think I may have overdone it a little. I collected and added thousands of the little buggers. I have been very busy lately for a few things so I can only collect at 6:00 am at low tide which doesn't happen to often at that time so I have to...
  8. Paul B

Tank turned 49 this year

I didn't think of that. OK, put in a reverse undergravel filter
  9. Paul B

Tank turned 49 this year

Don't do that! I like having the oldest tank on all these forums. :celebrate:
  10. Paul B

Tank turned 49 this year

Yesterday morning at 6:15 I walked down to the beach with a bucket. I knew it would be low tide at 7:30 and I was early but thats when I do my morning walks. I also like to watch the sunrise before the rest of the world gets up and I get back home when most people are still sleeping. The tide...
  11. Paul B

Tank turned 49 this year

My little caterpillars just formed chrysalises and in about 10 days they will be fully formed Painted lady butterflies and will fly away. :) Next I will raise some Monarchs.
  12. Paul B

Tank turned 49 this year

Well, thats the first and last time anyone will touch my car. :cool:
  13. Paul B

Tank turned 49 this year

Here in New York we have to get our cars inspected every year. If we don't, we can't renew our registration. The fee for the inspection is set by the state and it isn't much but it allows repair shops to get your car in to "inspect". If it fails, you can't take the car home and you have to...
  14. Paul B

Tank turned 49 this year

I lost both of these fish today. The yellow clown gobi I found him half stuck in my Gyre powerhead. He croaked. And the little bleeny, I accidently caught in my diatom filter. I quickly opened the thing up and got him out. Then I caught him again. He instantly swam into the inlet as I was...
  15. Paul B

Tank turned 49 this year

This morning I went down to the beach armed with a bucket because it was low tide. The tides here rise about 8' so the water goes way out at low tide and it exposes the rocks that line the bottom of the Sound. There weren't thousands of amphipods like there will be in a couple of weeks but I...