Recent content by Opsanus tau

1. O

Natural Sunlight tanks

Think outside the box with 115 gallon reef bowls
  2. O

Natural Sunlight tanks

Sorry I meant to type/say... Stichodactyla gigantea I don'y know why I wrote "Haddoni"...referring to the smaller variegated Stichodactyla Haddoni.
  3. O

Natural Sunlight tanks

another shot
  4. O

Natural Sunlight tanks

Update; Last year I changed Both Bowls to Haddoni carpet habitats.
  5. O

in floor tank

This is do-able, and yes the water would need to be touching the glass. The tank could be built like an "L", with the horizontal part of the "L" being the tank, and the vertical part, acting as a snorkel/access area/gas exchange. The top part could be in another room, and would have to be...
  6. O

How to grow mangrove Q&A

That is an extreem high tide, and the leaves are exposed at low tide, pictures are snapshots of reality and only tell a slit second of reality. Only an idiot would set up a echosystem based on snapshots!
  7. O

How to grow mangrove Q&A

They don't need substrate.they are Fresh water plants that can TOLERATE!!!!! salt yet because of their comparatively slow growth are simply out competed for light , thats why you don't see them up and down the banks of every freshwater stream, river, and lake that doesn't drop below freezing...
  8. O

Just repalced 14k to a 20k

You should really use a quantum meter when doing such a switch, you would not belive how much LESS light your corals are receiving (with those 20k bulbs)...I was blown away by the difference between a 14 and 20k....(we're talking about 100 microeinsteins difference in some...
  9. O

24inch PC OUTER ORBIT BLOW OUT !!!!

you don't say weather it is a 70 or 150(w)????
  10. O

severe temperature fluctuation, beneficial?

Big Al I think you should really read the posts before coming in as this "Know-it -all". Did I ever say turnning your lights for three days off and cloud cover are the same thing?,......no I did not !!!!!!!, I suggested a trend of instability in lighting. Are you employed as a professional...
  11. O

Here is one thing I would like to share here is that I also Always take a water sample home with me,( 5-15 minuet ride home ,and then do the alk and cal with the same test kits I use on my tanks, and it is ALWAYS; dkh;7.4, and Ca;450...Always!( except for one Salifert kit that gave me a 7.7...
  12. O

You just said it Jay without, without saying it directly; they are two different things. I also take the SAME two light meters(Both with built, and calibrated custom with 100' cables) with me out to my site as well as some local patch reefs, and have NEVER gotten the same reading , in the...
  13. O

I find this subject to be most interesting;how much of mother nature's parameters should be mimicked EXACTLY within our aquariums. Our aquariums are not like mother nature, they are closed-system bonsai miniatures that contain some of the same animals from the sea, yet if I were to apply the...
  14. O

Scolymia - Doughnut Coral?

Did you move the coral around allot/handle it , before your final placement? Looks a bit "beat-up", with those few septial teeth sticking through, you may want to protect it from heavy current for the time being until you see it begin to heal.
  15. O

Crabs Are Evil Society

Another shot