Recent content by NJ Reefer

1. NJ Reefer

Doug's RSM 250

So it's done. Took me a little longer than I wanted to make this post, but work has been getting in the way. I completed the install of Steve's drop in LED's. The process was simple, with some minor challenges along the way. Really, the biggest issue for me, as it always is, is remembering...
  2. NJ Reefer

Doug's RSM 250

Well I finally pulled the trigger! I've been considering installing Steve's LEDs for quite some time, especially after some many good reviews on this forum. Just placed the order tonight - I can't wait! Anyone with Steve's LEDs controlled by an Apex that has any tips for me, would be greatly...
  3. NJ Reefer

RSM250 light mod

I am considering modding my existing T5s as follows: 1) Remove one ballast and two center bulbs and sockets and insert LEDs (model TBD) in their place. 2) Replace other two ballasts with ATI dimmable T5 ballasts. Keeping 4 T5 bulbs (likely ReefSpec Blue/whites); 2 in front and 2 in back...
  4. NJ Reefer

A Picture A Day......

Awesome. Thanks Wrangy. Picked up a Nikon 5500 at Christmas, but I still am trying to learn how t use it. I assume you are mounting on a tripod, right? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. NJ Reefer

A Picture A Day......

@Wrangy, that is some great photography. What kind of camera and what settings are you using? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  6. Nemo in the Duncan.

Nemo in the Duncan.

7. NJ Reefer

VOTE for March 2016's TOTM!

These aren't tanks of the month. They are hall of fame tanks! Love them all. Impossible to choose a winner. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. NJ Reefer

PH Question

So after much tinkering, it looks like I have my Alk honed in on 9.02-9.24. Much more consistent than before. The pH is also relatively stable at 8.47-8.63. I'm just a little uncomfortable with the elevated pH. I may add a second airstone to see if the brings it down a bit. Sent from my...
  9. NJ Reefer

PH Question

Excellent. I will see how it goes. Thanks for your help. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  10. NJ Reefer

PH Question

Got it thanks again Reefin. So, I should be less concerned about the pH swing than the Alk fluctuations. I will spread it out like you suggest, but will still watch for more significant pH changes. Only other concern though is that the pH is already reaching 8.56 without dosing during lights...
  11. NJ Reefer

PH Question

PH rises steadily when the lights come on at noon. Keeps rising until lights go out at 7:30. Then it's pretty stable over night. It was the deep drop after a water change that made me worried. The Alk on the other hand fluctuates more dramatically. Up and down about 1.2 dkH. It peaks at...
  12. NJ Reefer

PH Question

So that's the strange thing. I am using automatic BRS dosers controlled by an Apex for Alk and Calc. I am dosing about 75 ml of Alk over 15 hours, beginning at 9 pm and ending at 11 am. Should I change my schedule? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  13. NJ Reefer

PH Question

Thanks Reefin. What about the alkalinity? Would you be concerned about the daily fluctuation in that? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  14. NJ Reefer

PH Question

I did mean Alkalinity (was typing too fast trying to get the door this morning). My alk does vary that much on a daily basis, which is a bit concerning. If I don't supplement the alk to the extent I am doing, it will drop severely. I dose alk during the night and morning before the lights...
  15. NJ Reefer

PH Question

Hi Patrick, My ph was 7.1 dkH at the time of the water change and 8.2 as of this morning. My alkalinity typically ranges from 7.0 to 8.5 during any given day depending on the time of day and where it is in the dosing schedule. Not sure what the calcium was, although it has been running around...