Recent content by Mattie H.

1. M

Slowly bleaching favia - help!

You are very correct. I mistyped. Thanks for the advice, I'm going to do just that, and also place it in a part of the tank with less light. Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
  2. M

Thanks for the advice. I moved it lower in the tank. I already do regular water changes. Parameters are the same as they were when I introduced the favia a year ago. All good, except for nitrites which are 80. But my nitrites have always been real high, no matter how often I do water...
  3. M

None of the above. Everything is situation normal. The only thing I can think of is that one of the ATI bulbs started flickering about that time, then went out completely about a week ago. I have all new bulbs that should be in by Monday. Could thay have something to do with it? But how...
  4. M

This favia has been in the tank for maybe a year. It's looked great until about a month ago, when it started to lose color. It's getting lighter and lighter, and now it's starting to recede at the edges. All other coral in the tank seems just fine. I've attached before and after pics. Any...
  5. M

Looking for softies, polyps in Baltimore area

Interested in stocking up on leathers, mushrooms, ployps, etc. and would like to buy locally from other hobbyists in Baltimore, MD area rather than pay high LFS prices. Pics would be great!
  6. M

HELP! Aakk! All CUC snails died, hermits doing fine. What'd I do wrong?

Thanks for checking up! I used an API test kit, which came up completely clear - 0 parts copper, no doubt about it. I've tested ten times at least since the die-off, and it's consistent. I haven't dared risk any more snails since then, but I now have a few mushrooms, a few green chromis and a...
  7. M

Greetings from scenic Baltimore City.

Awesome, that's some move! Your avatar kicks ass, btw. Where in Maryland are you moving to?
  8. M

I'm in the city, actually... just off the JHU Homewood campus. Hampden / Roland Park area.
  9. M

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. My test results come in negative for copper, but I'm going to use the CupriSorb just in case there are traces.
  10. M

Thanks! Looking forward to posting!
  11. M

DaveK, thanks for the warning. I did realize that error when searching online to try to find a solution and it did dawn on me that might be the issue. It was a coated brass valve so theoretically it shouldn't leach any metals, but I changed the valve to PVC anyway - better safe than sorry...
  12. M

Thanks for the advice DaveK, it is much appreciated! Yes, when I put that valve in there I wasn't aware of the dangers of copper, but I figured it out while Googling for a solution to a snail die off. I've since replaced the brass valve with PVC. The remote, on the other hand, just happened...
  13. M

I thought about that, but the only bags that had water were the bags the hermits came in... The snails were just in moist bags with wet paper towels in them... Not really anything to acclimate. I've also read in the forums that others use the ReefCleaners acclimation process and it's gone fine.
  14. M

Greetings! I'm kinda new here... just getting back into reefing after almost 20 years out of the hobby... I set up my 78 gal with 20 gal sump back in July and started the cycle with 80lbs of CaribSea, a fuge full of miracle mud and eventually 50lbs of ReefCleaners dry rock. Nearly four months...
  15. M

Hi, I've been lurking for a while, but I think it's finally time to make my intro... I'm not a reef newbie per se, but the last tank I had was in the mid-nineties, back in college years. When I went off to school I left it in the care of my mother, who shared the hobby with me, but she got...