Recent content by LaurentSeattle

1. L

Old RSM's 130 - Long running RSM's -

Here is the current state of the tank: @SteveD: I have maintained a fresh water tank (Amazonian biotope with Blue Discus) for about 8 years. After 6 months, everything was stable and maintenance was very simple and easy once the right equipment was in place. With the RSM after 4 years and a...
  2. L

I was hoping to see more people sharing their experience on this thread... So now I am wondering: How RSM's are doing in the long run: - The tanks crash at 18 months. - People upgrade at 20 months. - Owners give up at 22 months. - ? Am I the only one here with an "old" RSM?
  3. L

Thanks everyone for your comments so far.. Purigen: This product is given 5 star reviews almost everywhere so I decided to get some... At about $15 on Marine Depot, it makes sense to give it a try. Thanks RSR for the suggestion. Sand bed: I am usually removing some each time I make a water...
  4. L

Deals RSM Owners might like...

Free is usually a good deal: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/drygoods-sale-trade/69760-free-ocean-wave-ro-di-unit-seattle-pickup-only.html
  5. L

Water changes: This is possibly the main issue with my "old" tank. I need to change about 6 to 7 gallons weekly. If I don't I get punished with a red slime bloom. Chemical filtration: I used a 50-50 mix of high quality "activated" carbon and PhosBan on the second level of my Steve's Media...
  6. L

Hello everyone... I have been running a RSM 130 since almost 4 years. My mods: - 2 Hydor Flo - Added one in-tank circulation pump - Steve's rack with floss on top and PhosBan below - Upgraded to a Tunze skimmer after the stock skimmer pump impeller failed. - Nothing under the pumps...
  7. L

Free - Ocean Wave Ro/Di Unit - Seattle Pickup Only

Please read in full before sending PM... I have a used Ocean Wave Ro/Di unit from the filter guys for free for you, assuming you're OK with: - YOU pick up in downtown Seattle (no shipping, please don't ask) - Osmotic membrane is 90% dead. - DI resin replacement is WAY overdue - Other...
  8. L

My RSM: Version 2.0

@dmyers557: My RSM never really crashed. I had a*massive algal bloom due to NO3 build up back in October last year. I made a big rock cleaning and a massive water change to fix the problem. I have come to the conclusion that the RSM does not work on the long term unless you "invest" a lot of...
  9. L

My RSM: Version 2.0

Thanks Reefmack for reminding me my "duties" on Reef Sanctuary. My original plan a while ago was to give up and sell the RSM so that I would be able to upgrade to an Elos 70 system. This also explains a bit why so little news. However, the recession has hit the Seattle area as well with...
  10. L

Within the 1 year RSM warranty? Shouldn't we get the upgrade for free or at discount?

Re: Within the 1 year RSM warranty? Shouldn't we get the upgrade for free or at disco Well, maybe ReefMack and many others were very happy to buy a Tunze skimmer to fix their own "non-issue" but here is my final conclusion: No more Red Sea purchase ever: No salt mix, no test kit, no more...
  11. L

Within the 1 year RSM warranty? Shouldn't we get the upgrade for free or at discount?

Re: Within the 1 year RSM warranty? Shouldn't we get the upgrade for free or at disco The surface skimmer is NOT an upgrade, NOT a fancy accessory. It is a fix for a design defect. It should definitely be shipped for free to all 130 customers. Just like Microsoft does for service packs...
  12. L

March '09 POTM Contest!

Here is my entry. I hope you like it.
  13. Emerald Crab

Emerald Crab

Emerald Crab
  14. L

The "In-Depth" Surface Skimmer Upgrade Review

Very nice to see that Red Sea is indeed actually listening to their customer's concerns. Thanks Steve H. We'll see how the price issue will end up... On the more technical side of things: The upgrade continues to work very nicely: Crystal clear water, significant skimate, much less bubbles...
  15. L

The "In-Depth" Surface Skimmer Upgrade Review

Hello there, I got my "upgrade" earlier last week and installed it last Saturday. Ordering, Price, Shipping: I ordered the "thing" on the phone (888 toll free number) and my CC was charged when the items shipped. Everything nicely packaged. The cost of the upgrade is about $40. (US)...