Recent content by KeyserSoze

1. KeyserSoze

bubble algae

I've had this as a recent problem. What has worked best for me was to remove the rock when I did a water change. I picked off what I could and the rest I popped. I then used the waste water from the water change to rinse the rock over the sink before placing it back in the tank. After doing...
  2. KeyserSoze

whats a good lighting timer??

I have a 2X96w PC light and I just went to Wal-Mart and picked up 2 timers. They've been working for 2 years flawlessly. $5 a piece.
  3. KeyserSoze

Calcium buffers, Kalkwasser, and 2 Part Additives!?!

I wanted to say thank you to all that contributed to this thread. I've read many about Calcium and dripping Kalk and never saw it explained quite like this. I use Kent Calcium and when I asked for advice at my LFS store I was told to continue with what was working and not to mess with it...
  4. KeyserSoze

LED Tank Lighting

http://www.solarisled.com/ This link was posted on our local reef club site and was getting very little reaction other than the price. I wouldn't or couldn't afford the price either but I'm very excited about the claims made on the site. The adjustability and cost savings over the long term...
  5. KeyserSoze

is 82 -83 degrees to hot for my tank

Mine runs from 81.2 in the morning up to 82.0 just before lights go off at night. Like many other things I try to match the parameters of my LFS to make acclimation easier. Their tanks run approx. 82 deg.
  6. KeyserSoze

Lighting Question

I would suggest MH regardless of what you plan to get. Then it would just be a matter of wattage. I prefer the look of MH lighting to all others. It also leaves the door open for what corals you might want to do later. If you're like I was when I started cost was an issue and I preferred the...
  7. KeyserSoze

Best tool to scrape coralline off front panel?

I ordered the Kent proscraper with the long handle. The plastic "blade" can work with alot of elbow grease. It it's more than just a spec you'll wear your arm out before you get the coraline off. You can check the hardware store for a widget. That's what I've always called them. It's...
  8. KeyserSoze

Mini reef Vs back pack

I have a Bak Pak and I've said some pretty bad things about it in the past. I did an airstone modification to it and now think that it's working great. (for a Bak Pak) As for the sump I've heard people rave about the benefits. I would ask, why not both? Each has an important role and if...
  9. KeyserSoze

Blue Tuxedo Urchin Owners - Question

While it is a popular misconception, urchins do not spread coralline spores according to Anthony Calfo. I'm posting a link to an FAQ from WetWebMedia. It's titled Trouble with Tribbles. http://www.wetwebmedia.com/wormfaqs.htm
  10. KeyserSoze

metal halide

Here is a link that you might find helpful. It deals with the intensity of light in different tanks at different levels. Some of it was more in depth than what you're probably looking for but it does break it down. It has some good info to help make a decision on what is going to be right for...
  11. KeyserSoze

I just thought everyone should know. Most people get them for algae control and looks but few know how destructive they can be. That said... I really enjoy mine. Peaceful diversity is what I strive for. Thanks Dragon Wrasse.
  12. KeyserSoze

new tank pic

For your next four you could go with Ritchie, Heather, Charlie and Denise. LOL :)
  13. KeyserSoze

This is what it looked like before the urchin decided this was a good place for lunch :) This was done on and off over the course of a few weeks. It's just something to consider.
  14. KeyserSoze

Most urchins are considered to be the bulldozers of the reef tank. I have one that is well mannered by most standards. I have a frogspawn that it loves to up-end whenever it's in the area. Fortunately it will stay in the same area of the tank for months at a time so if I see a problem I just...
  15. after

after