Recent content by jringold

1. J

Protein Skimmer causes profanity

Oh, one other parameter - I want to keep the stock hood. I don't mind cutting out the back or some other mod though.
  2. J

Protein Skimmer causes profanity

I have had my RSM 250 for over a year now. Every single week I am messing with the protein skimmer. I will get it tuned and the next day it has either overflowed or is producing nothing. I have tried all the suggestions that have been listed to no avail. So, here is the deal - I want to...
  3. J

HELP! First Anemone

Don't use the brass tap at all. Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc. Copper is bad news in a marine aquarium for a bunch or reasons. 1) Copper will corrode in salt water. 2) Copper is toxic to marine inverts. You would be much better off getting a PVC tap at any home improvement store. Morgan
  4. J

HELP! Can anyone help

What do you use in the place of the sponges?
  5. J

HELP! Can anyone help

I had this exact same problem. The issue is that my tank is in an alcove with less than 12” clearance on each side, so I could not see the level indicators on the sides. I would look in the tank and the level looked great. My ATO was working fine. I would look in the skimmer compartment...
  6. J

HELP! First Anemone

... Been there, done that too!
  7. J

HELP! First Anemone

I actually just now read your thread from beginning to end. Looks like you have made some great progress. I am certainly no expert, but here are a few things that I have found to be successful: 1. Rather than just topping off each day, get an ATO. I use a Tunze Osmolator and a 5 gallon...
  8. J

Refug on RSM 250

Hey Dudes! This may be a stupid question, but I am planning on adding a refug to my RSM 250 and want to determine the best way to do it. First, here is the link of the design I am building out: Ok, right now I have a pump in the sump that goes to the chiller. The chiller then goes back into...
  9. J

Alternative rear fan for C-250

Adrienne - Just shoot it and start over! (just kidding). I agree its frustrating but each thing you mentioned in and of itself is not expensive - but should have lasted longer. I have a c250 as well that I bought used, so I had a few replacements to do. First, the heater was faulty. I gave...
  10. J

An interesting fix for an undersized top off

I have a RSM 250 and purchased the Tunze Nano Osmolator. I think that this is slightly too small for the 250. There is a automatic cut-off after 90 seconds. For some reason, there are times when the pump takes more than 90 seconds to complete the top off. The issue was that if the pump...
  11. J

Protein skimmer making microbubbles

The only time I have experienced micro-bubbles is when the water level in the sump is too low. Trying lowering the gate into the sump a little and see if that makes a difference.
  12. J

Getting a RSM C250

It's surprising that your chiller isn't keeping up. Before I installed mine, my tank was in the high 80's. Now I run it between 79 & 80. The chiller kicks on less than 10 times a day but I don't think I have ever heard it run more that a couple of minutes each time. On thing that could be an...
  13. J

Getting a RSM C250

Check out post #10 in the thread. It's nothing fancy - the 5G jug on the left side contains RO (that I manually fill weekly). The Tunze pump just sets inside the jug. I don't have a lid on it so I may loose a very small amount to evaporation - but I bet it's not even a measurable amount...
  14. J

Getting a RSM C250

Awesome! I think you will be really happy with it. First thing, when it arrives, take it out of the box and set it up-right for 24 hours before even plugging it up. It's possible the shipper had it on it's side and you want all the oil to run back into the bottom of the compressor before you...
  15. J

Getting a RSM C250

That would certainly work. For me, I didn't want anything outside the cabinet. If it was me I would take a saber saw and cut some large openings in the back so I could hide everything. But there is nothing at all wrong with your plan.