Recent content by jimeluiz

1. J

More Mods

All this old-timer reminiscing has me coming out of the lurking woodwork. Hey all – I still drop in from time to time. As for the mods question I would just add to the chorus that this site is and has always been a model of excellence. Keep up the good work! Back to the woodwork… :scram:
  2. J

OT: How's the weather?

Here in the southern hemisphere we are moving from summer to fall. Works for me. We're leaving the high 90s degree heat and blistering sun (even under umbrellas at the beach with a slushy-cold beer) for cooler 80 degree days with high 70s at night. Perfect. :clink: :whstlr: :whstlr...
  3. J

Re: How's the weather? Thanks BoomerD -- Still getting settled. Big apartment remodel. Our 'stuff' just arrived yesturday after a three month ride over sea then working its way through customs, etc. No plan as yet to do a tank. I've been to multiple pet/fish/aquarium shops and have yet...
  4. J

Re: How's the weather? 85 degrees and sunny. Gotta love Copacabana Beach in Rio de Janeiro! :snshne: :whstlr: :whstlr: :whstlr: :snshne:
  5. J

how to handle a BTA

Anemonies in tide pools are exposed to air daily during low tide. I, too, have not heard of the need to avoid air contact -- second the sponge question. If I learned anything over the five years we had RBTAs it was that they are VERY hearty critters. -- In spite of how fragile they appear...
  6. J

NOOOOO INVASION OF AIPTASIA HOW DO I get ride of it?

In my experience the Peppermint Shrimp are effective for the little aiptasias, but once they grow to a decent size the shrimp don't go for them. So once you have the invasion under control the shrimp will keep it from coming back. Good luck.
  7. J

Pics from the Canon

WOW - great pics. Looks like we are all going to benefit from your gift! Have fun!!
  8. J

Happy Birthday ReefSanctuary!!!

Four years - wow. Congratulations Travis and Co. You have truly been an inspiration -- to THOUSANDS of hobbiests. :clink: I want to draw our attention to the INTENTIONAL community you/we have built. Evidence that good triumphs over bad. I'm inspired. :spinner: :spinner: :spinner...
  9. J

Vacation Feeding . . .

Don't forget to show your co-worker and landlord any electrical points of interest. Do you have an emergency breaker (I forget the name) and reset button? If the power goes out for some reason they may need to trip that switch to get things up again. I make a chart for feeding, adding...
  10. J

The “How To” Guide to Reef Aquarium Chemistry for Beginners, Part 4

Re: The “How To” Guide to Reef Aquarium Chemistry for Beginners, Part 4 Excellent. :thumbup: Thank you for posting.
  11. J

Moving my sandbed

This is a very helpful reminder. I have been playing chicken with the tipping point vis a vis the precipitated phosphates and the resulting cyano nuisance. I think I'll skim off some sand and get the new setup off to a fresh start. Thanks all. :thumbup:
  12. J

Moving my sandbed

So glad I asked. Our rock is in very large pieces and three pieces are sitting on the bottom of the tank, so removing them will create quite a stirr (pun intended!) :) I think I'll scoop out some sand from the top layer, then pull out the final rock pieces and get them into some clean...
  13. J

Moving my sandbed

Our move to Brazil approaches. We should be on a plane to Florida to spend time with my mother before Xmas, then on to Rio in January. I have attracted a buyer for our entire setup (!) - but I must say the prospect of moving this thing is daunting and keeps me from setting a date certain...
  14. J

tiny starfish in my tank?

We have a good number of these little guys too. I'm always plucking 15 or 20 out of my micron filter bag when I change it. Don't want to throw the baby brittles out with the nasty bag water! Super cute critters.
  15. J

relocating a tank?

Congratulations! :clink: