Recent content by JHamilton0170

1. JHamilton0170

Where did my clam go?

If you kept it for 6 months then your system can likely support a clam. Just make sure you have top-notch water and good lights. I don't see any reason not to get another clam. I'd try to figure out the cause first, though.
  2. JHamilton0170

28g JBJ LED Nano Cube or is it really?

Here's another possibility. Are you sure your 1 gallon water containers really had exactly 1 gallon in them? Maybe they were 1.2 gallons. Then 23 of them would give you 28g.
  3. JHamilton0170

gfo in reactors

Yeah, I hear you. I was confused too and tried stuffing the bag and all into the reactor. It didn't flow very well that way. Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
  4. JHamilton0170

gfo in reactors

Oh, and I use the GFO in the same reactor you have, not bagged. Good luck.
  5. JHamilton0170

gfo in reactors

Wow... I like BRS GFO, too, but I'm almost afraid to admit it after that.. I'm in no way affiliated with BRS, DaveK, or "his likely friend". We're all just trying to provide answers to a question. Goooozzzz fraa bahhh
  6. JHamilton0170

Live Rock Question

It depends on the condition of the live rock. If it has a lot of die-off it could cause an ammonia spike.
  7. JHamilton0170

Sump refugium DIY question

I use schedule 40 PVC.. I can see the benefit to flex tubing, though. Especially for the overflow if you have a drilled tank with a bulkhead. Using rigid PVC to the bulkhead could put stress on the glass causing a crack. Having a return line going back through the sump allows: 1. More...
  8. JHamilton0170

im new

Welcome to RS, Vader! Good luck with the new setup. This is a great place to find answers to all your questions.
  9. JHamilton0170

New RO/DI questions.

Thanks, carlfike.
  10. JHamilton0170

Zoas cheesing out

I'm having the same issue, Ian. I have a lot of asterina stars in my tank. I sometimes see them on the zoas and I've heard that can cause problems. Is it possible that's what's happening with yours? I'm trying to find a way to get rid of the little dudes. When I first got the zoas, I gave...
  11. JHamilton0170

mechanical filtration.....bio balls maintenance and querries

Andy, I noticed you're starting a new thread for each question .. which is fine .. but you might consider a tank thread that you just add to as questions come up. It saves having to repeat a lot of information. Just a thought. Hope things are coming along well for you.
  12. JHamilton0170

I'm not sure how the sump is set-up on a Nano tank, so I can't offer any help on how you'd install a sock. It can be as simple as tying a sock to the end of the overflow pipe.
  13. JHamilton0170

80 Gallon Cube System

Oops, yeah, I should have looked at the title of the thread: 80 Gallon Cube. I just looked at your signature. I drilled my 35g hex and used a glass-holes overflow box. It's working good, but lots of gurgling here too. I put some filter sponge material (very coarse) in the overflow box and...
  14. JHamilton0170

The only mechanical filtration I use is filter socks for the water entering the sump. I think many people here will advise that you remove the bio-balls. I have no experience using them, so don't take my word for it. The other forms of filtration in my tank are: Live rock for bio, protein...
  15. JHamilton0170

hello everyone!

Welcome to RS.