Recent content by JB NY

1. JB NY

White Beaches

Buy a couple of fighting conchs. They'll keep the SB nice and white, in your case pink.
  2. JB NY

I Can Dream Can't I?

It's a German tank running Zeovit system.
  3. JB NY

Bleaching frag, Keep or dump?

Why would you get rid of it just because it bleached? I would just leave it, as long as the tank is healthy it should regain it's color. I would not cut it or do anything else to it. Bleaching is caused by stress, breaking a branch causes stress as well which can hamper it's recovery. Other than...
  4. JB NY

Do I need more lighting?

No. It's more difficult as it's a tube so the light is more spread out. Also I only have 5 foot tubes and no extra ballasts.
  5. JB NY

What Refugium Type?

After running two different refugia for a few years, one a 6" DSB refugium and the other macro algae and a thin layer of substrate. I tore down my old refugia and I re-did my the whole setup a few moths back. I now have what Clafo would call a vegetable Filter. Chaetomorpha macro in a 55 gallon...
  6. JB NY

Do I need more lighting?

I like them a lot. I'll see how they do in the long run though. They are a little bit more white than the Ushio IMO.
  7. JB NY

Do I need more lighting?

I think you'll see a big difference in growth. It generally takes at least a month or so for your corals to adjust to the new lighting. But you'll definitely get more growth than using 20K lamps. The color of the tank is in the eye of the beholder IMO. I personally do not like the look of a...
  8. JB NY

Do I need more lighting?

You're running 20K lamps. Almost all find them the poorest lamps for growth. If you want more growth and want to keep the 20K, move up to 400 watters, be even then you might be dissapointed. Droping down to a 10K lamp should give you much better growth. But the color might not be to your liking.
  9. JB NY

Eric's Coral ID Mini-Class has Fired-Up

Yeah, where is everyone? bleach those branches!! I'm finding it a great little mini class. I've got some of the book, but trying to do an ID on your own with no help is a daunting task. So it's nice to have Eric telling you the things to look at, what's important, what's not etc. FWIW I...
  10. JB NY

something to eat bryopsis

a blue tuxedo urchin will eat it as well (don't remember the real name).
  11. JB NY

MH light question

Ceratain lamps do a hot restrike better than others. But anywhere from 5-15 minutes is how long the lamp needs to cool before it will fire again.
  12. JB NY

PH Value inside Kalk Stirrer / Your Kalk bucket

fresh kalk should be around 12.2-12.5 under that it has started to lose it's effectiveness. I add kalk on a weekly basis to in order to keep the kalk fresh. 7 liters isn't that bad. depends on the humidity of your area. Anyway I would add more kalk to up the pH. Measure it every few days...
  13. JB NY

anyone have sump/equipment in basement?

I'm on Long Island, crazy high electric here too. My sequence pulls only 300 watts, so it not that bad. My attempt to create some order in the chaos that is normally the basement. I posted to the thread this morning. I received them but other than turning them on to make sure they work...
  14. JB NY

Another Utimate Tank

You guys got to see some real nice tanks in PA. Just amazing.
  15. JB NY

Advice on coral for a beginner

Goniopora is considered a very hard coral to keep. Go with Gina's advice, mushrooms and star polyps are great beginning corals.