Recent content by IanReefer

1. IanReefer

Light for a 55 gallon “diamond” aquarium

@StevesLEDs made custom lighting for my 120 gallon corner tank. It cost less than using pendants, and the light is evenly distributed. Plus they let you pick out your own spectrums, etc.
  2. IanReefer

Arcadia LED T5 in RSM C250

I have a Steves LEDs fixture in my 250. My room temp is usually around 76°, and with stock T5's it was always around 82-83. After installing the LEDs, the temp is stable at 78 during day and about 77 or 76 at night. The fixture has fans that blow all the heat out the sides so it's pretty much...
  3. IanReefer

Led lighting suggestions

I have a Steve's LEDs fixtures on a couple of my aquariums. He actually guarantees you'll be able to grow every coral and clam. In fact you can't even run them at full brightness because they'll bleach everything.
  4. IanReefer

took the jump

Just throwing it out there- for the price of that chiller, stevesleds makes a light upgrade for your aquarium that costs about as much as that chiller. The electricity savings alone would pay for itself inside of a year, and save you about $40usd/mo in electricity. I speak from experience...
  5. IanReefer

Oxy's RSM250

Awesome eggs/hatchlings!
  6. IanReefer

moving tiny mushrooms from a rock ?

+1 on the chipping up the rock
  7. IanReefer

Bridgelux 45w par38

Those seem to be really good, but in my experience, they run really hot (~150°F) and degrade really fast. The PAR levels seems to drop off after about 1 year as well. So even though they light up, they won't output near what they did when new, and you can't file reduced output under warranty...
  8. IanReefer

The Stony Shallows

Looking awesome!
  9. IanReefer

MAX LED Lighting

For what it's worth, Steve's LEDs came out with a new crazy easy fixture to install in the RSM250 and RSM130. Only takes a few minutes, no drilling, etc. Also, my buddy just put in the Steve's fixture for the S-500, and it is more than twice as bright as his stock lighting. Took him about an...
  10. IanReefer

Infestation All Of A Sudden!

I think they eat those up in Seatle, you should take some off and boil them up with some clams for a nice little snack. That should help with population control.
  11. IanReefer

Pistol shrimp killing fish?

I had a pistol shrimp in my 90g once. I thought he looked really cool so I put him in their. You can actually hear him click, which creates some sort of superheated water cavitation that stuns fish (so he can eat them) Personally, I did have a few fish go missing after I introduced him, then...
  12. IanReefer

Anybody have a Biocube 29 and interested in LED lighting?

I have an Biocube 29 that I was thinking about putting LEDs in it, and was going to make a build log of it on this forum - showing the process. I tried growing corals in it, and the only think I could get to barely grow were some red mushrooms. I'm just seeing if anyone here could actually...
  13. IanReefer

Steve's led's with BTA

I have several tanks with Steves LEDson them. Turns out once they go long, they don't seem to go back. It is the photoperiod that keeps them small. I have mine set at 14 hours, with 90 min sunrise and sunset and they stay nice and short and fat. I have my lights turned up pretty high in that...
  14. IanReefer

Steve's LED's Conversion - UK installation problem

I left the fans in mine, but they are completely unnecessary. They are still in there, but they aren't running since all they do is make noise. I had the SAME think happen with mine, the flickering whenever I bumped the kitchen table it was sitting on. It happened after I removed the dimmer...
  15. IanReefer

Hello to all...

I'm looking right now, can't seem to find any. You using them for eating algae? When I had them I had a little bit of the fine green stuff on the rocks and they never ate it. If some come out tonight, I'll be glad to send them to you, no charge, just pay for the shipping.