Recent content by fivel

1. fivel

MH bulbs vibrating and shutting off...

I have a light fixture with 3, 250W MH single end bulbs. I bought the fixture brand new from ebay and everything worked fine on arrival. I had a stock bulb burn out about 2 months after I received the fixture, so I bought 3 brand new bulbs and kept the remaining two as backups. Lately I have...
  2. fivel

Reef Aquarium Calculator & Log

The reason for this thread being stickied is no longer valid as the link is broken and a website was never created to take it's place. The thread has been inactive for almost a year now - should probably be removed from its "sticky status"
  3. fivel

Bulb Replacement and Brand...

I ended up getting 3 250 Watt 14000K Metal Halide Bulb - AquaMaxx, Mogul Base from Marinedepot.com. It was a good price and a brand that I had heard several people recommend including Al, so we'll see.
  4. fivel

Well, my ballasts are for HQI but the bulbs provided with the fixture were generic HIT. I don't know if they are compatible or not but I just ordered 3 new HQI bulbs online to fix it. Once again... lesson learned to not always trust someone who's information is based off of them trying to sell...
  5. fivel

how about the difference between HIT and HQI?
  6. fivel

So... I already had a MH bulb burn out on my new MH/T5 fixture and am just going to buy 3 new 250W 14k bulbs to replace the 3 that are there since their reliability has less than impressed me. The bulbs do not have a brand name on them but do say HIT 250W - 14000K on the glass of them. It's...
  7. fivel

Anemone Help!

The upside is that the small brown coloration you are seeing in your anemone is the new algae inside of him growing - which is what photosynthesizes and feeds the anemone. There really isn't any such thing as a pearly white anemone in nature. When it comes to anemones, the white ones strictly...
  8. fivel

Frogspawn Placement / Light Distribution

Well I rearranged my LR a bit in order for them to still be on a rock towards the bottom and well away from everything else because of their sweeper tentacles. I just always try to avoid keeping corals off the sand bed because one... i like the wide open SB for my grazers and two... my dragon...
  9. fivel

Frogspawn Placement / Light Distribution

I got a piece of frogspawn on saturday with 7 heads and have read that it likes medium/high light with a bottom placement. I placed mine so the hard mass of the coral is sticking horizontally out of a rock towards the bottom of my tank. It looks cool in the tank because it's so full that you...
  10. fivel

When Your Favorite Fish Dies

With the clean up crew that I have in my tank - Actually finding a body of any dead fish is very rare in my setup. However, if something would ever happen to one of my older or favored fish, with me being the scientific and curious type that I am - would probably dissect him to learn more about...
  11. fivel

What do you do on Reef Sanctuary

Oooooohhhhh... you're making it that much easier for my addiction... errr... i mean dedication. Looking through here and seeing all of my posts being most of the recent ones, it's no wonder i've accumulated over 220+ posts in 2 months, lol
  12. fivel

CUC Reccomendations

Serpent Stars are great for cleaning up uneaten food and other random dirtiness around the tank, although I would avoid the green serpent star (AKA Green Death) because of their quick growth and high probability of eating fish, shrimp and anything else it can catch. A sandsifting star will help...
  13. fivel

Urchin likes to climb on my corals

I have a pencil urchin that likes rolling across my zoas. Sometimes I swear he does it on purpose just to annoy them, heh. I've never seen him do anything mischievous though and he's been in there for well over a year. I would be more nervous with an urchin that had sharper spines as they...
  14. fivel

tang

Let's try this... what are you looking for in a tang... color? personality? There are a lot of choices out there to consider depending on what you are looking for. I don't know a lot about Sohal Tangs just because I never see them on the live fish sites that I visit - so I never read much...
  15. fivel

finger leather

That is very cool - I love watching mine slowly form their own forest of leathers in the middle of my tank. Congratulations :)