Recent content by Choff

1. Choff

S Series - powerhead holes

Hey All, I have stopped using 3 of the 4 power heads on my 650 and wondering if anyone has come up with a good looking solution to plug the holes? Thanks!
  2. Choff

Water changes not helping nitrates, biopellets or algae scrubber?

Look into seachem matrix and/or siporax for nutrient control. My sps dominant reef tank is overstocked with fish and I feed like an Italian grandmother and I have to dose Nitrate to keep the colors on my coral. Yep, I dose nitrates. I run a large reactor with matrix as well as 10G of...
  3. Choff

MAX LED Lighting

Hey Mod, been a long time! Hope the tank is doing well. I just ditched my hood and went with th ATI hybrid rig. Jury is still out, but looking favorable.
  4. Choff

Any S-650 owners modify there set-ups - how?

Fair question. First, I've had the tank shortly after release, so going on 3 years. Second, it was my first reef tank. No matter what tank and stuff I bought back then would all have been replaced by things as I learned the hobby. Finally and most important, my wife wanted it. When we first...
  5. Choff

Any S-650 owners modify there set-ups - how?

Yep... - removed hood in favor of ATI led hybrid power module - removed electrical box in favor of Apex - removed sump and built a custom one - replaced skimmer with SRO XP3000 w/neck cleaner - replaced the return pump with DC waveline - added JBJ chiller - added SRO dual chamber CaRx...
  6. Choff

Kessil A160WE or Radion XR15w Pro

You can't beat the Kessil shimmer. I find all other leds to have more or less a disco ball effect. I have 360s, 160s, radion and ati hybrid led. Kessil shimmer is better than all if them. I've had great success with Kessil and not so much with NON pro radion g2. In my opinion, I think g2 pro...
  7. Choff

Choff's Modified RSM650 Reef Chronicle

New one shipped out, arriving Tuesday. Just torture....
  8. Choff

RSM250 Cyano outbreak?

I've been having a minor clash with cyano for quite some time. I've looked at all the usual suspects as listed above without any improvements. I've recently been doing a lot of reading about peroxide dosing to battle it. I'm not wild about direct dosing , so I went with a sochting oxydator which...
  9. Choff

keeping my chiller cool

Great idea! I always thought the chiller compartment doors should have been slotted or luevered on the red sea tsnks. Wouldn't look as slick, but certainly more functional. Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
  10. Choff

Frogspawn not expanding just turning to limp bulbs

Stability is key and you had a lot of salinity swings and you changed out your lights. I don't know how many total bulbs you have, but I would suggest only ever changing 1 at a time. Us wait at least a week if not 2 or 3 before doing the next and so on. You need to give corals time to adjust...
  11. Choff

O...m...g... Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
  12. Choff

Anarchy's reef chronicle

Someone had a field day at Battlecorals! Adams stuff is the best and looks like it's doing well in your tank. No hyperberry??
  13. Choff

dKH advice for SPS novice please

Stability of parameters is primary key to long term success in this hobby. I have long stopped trying to chase numbers. I mostly use my eyes these days and only test when things just don't look right. Im not suggesting you do the same, but if you need to move the needle on a parameter, any...
  14. Choff

I think it's an ok setup. You need to run 4 kessils because they are so close to the water there is very little spread. I also ran only the outside pair of t5s to keep the heat away from the kessils as they tend to overheat tucked into that slot. Ideally, you would be better off running the...
  15. Choff

Been awhile since I posted, but I'm still just as much into my tank now as when I first started. [emoji41] I have a significant change coming in a few weeks. I'm dumping the stock hood modified with 4 kessils in favor of an ATI hybrid power module. I've changed my philosophy from led...