Recent content by Avianman

1. Avianman

Baby Mollies

That depends on a lot of factors. Breeding mollies in SW is really no different than in fresh water, and in some case like sailfin mollies, it is easier. Usually, though, SW tanks have a much higher flow, which might give the babies some trouble.
  2. Avianman

Tank Crashed! Oh No!

Just an update: it's been a couple weeks now, and I have done three moderate water changes, changed carbon every few days. Levels are still good all around. I noticed yesterday morning that my GSPs are coming back! It's like Christmas all over again! I have a soft spot for green star polyps -...
  3. Avianman

lighting question

I hesitate because it is in China. I order a lot of things overseas from Asia and have never had a problem with the shipping, however, the quality of the goods is often suspect and the support non-existent. If it were in the US, I;d say jump on it.....
  4. Avianman

Tank Crashed! Oh No!

If you get a chance, read the review for that temp controller......the guy that wrote that review has waaaaaay too much time on his hands...... :-)
  5. Avianman

Tank Crashed! Oh No!

Well, as of today the feather dusters, maroon clown, crabs, starfish and my colony of zoas are alive. That means all my LPS and mushrooms went kaput. The GSP are showing no signs. My racordea looked like they were going to pull through but then dissolved about a day later. I have done one...
  6. Avianman

Tank Crashed! Oh No!

Try this... Reefkeeper lite
  7. Avianman

Tank Crashed! Oh No!

I found this deal: DA Temp Controller, SL1 expansion and PH probe Anyone seen anything better?
  8. Avianman

Tank Crashed! Oh No!

Nothing specific....having a computer science background I know the basic principals inside should be the same....essentially a thermostatically controlled switch. I mean, it's like plugging a surge protector into a surge protector....when a power surge happens either one can still fail - they...
  9. Avianman

Tank Crashed! Oh No!

Since digital controllers are effectively the same as whats inside the better heaters....whats to stop them from failing?
  10. Avianman

Tank Crashed! Oh No!

Thanks for all the support, guys! They say necessity is the mother of invention, and I think the same could be said for new technology. Since I havent run into this problem before (my last heater incident wouldnt have been prevented by a controller) and I have never heard of a controller in my...
  11. Avianman

Tank Crashed! Oh No!

Any suggestions on how to handle this?
  12. Avianman

Tank Crashed! Oh No!

As I was running around getting ready for a busy day I glanced over and noticed that none of my star polyps were out....a noticable difference as I have quite a few. Not a HUGE deal I figured - its not unusual that a group will be retracted. Then it dawned on me that ALL of the star polyps were...
  13. Avianman

Flower shaped Coral ID

Any suggestion of where to purchase these online?
  14. Avianman

cool discovery in sump

Wow, you aren't kidding...there's a ton in there. Funny how stuff just "appears", isn't it?
  15. Avianman

Flower shaped Coral ID

Looks like, though some additional research, that it may be the closely related, though not as difficult 'Alveopora'. Apparently, Alveopora have 12 "petals" on each flower (so to speak) and Goniopora have 24