Recent content by addict

1. addict

addict's downsized reef

Heya Mike, Well, we were looking in the area east of Raleigh, and were pretty interested in Sanford. Unfortunately, my wife had to have an emergency appendectomy two nights before we were supposed to leave, so our trip got cancelled. Thankfully she's doing well now, though she's still pretty...
  2. addict

Starting up the 46 Gal. Bow AGAIN???

In freshwater, it's 1" per gallon, and in saltwater it's 1" per 5 gallons. Saltwater doesn't hold as much oxygen as freshwater does, and the most common mistake people make when coming over from keeping freshwater aquariums is overstocking the fish population. Plus you also have corals and...
  3. addict

5 is a good number, but might be pushing it for a 46g bow... it just means that you have less room for other fish, but it's up to you to decide how to stock your tank. :) With 56g of water volume (I assume your sump isn't running 'full'), you have room for approximately 11" of fish, so with 5...
  4. addict

180 Gal Complete Reef Tank Setup

Wow, that's a great price... heck, the tank, stand and lighting is probably half of that new. Now if I wasn't in the process of doing the same exact thing you are (looking to move and selling off my big reef), I might be interested. ;) Good luck. This will make somebody very happy. :)
  5. addict

You want to add at least one more Chromis. They will establish a 'pecking order' with three, but with two the larger one will probably harass the smaller one to death. With three it gets spread out a bit more. I usually recommend a school of 5 to 7 chromis, but that's only if you have the...
  6. addict

Dead extreme coral

LOL... give it a couple of months and you'll wish they had died... ;) Just kidding... at least GSP's are alot prettier than the brown-polyped encrusting gorgonian that's slowly swallowing my tank... it started out as about 3-4 polyps on the edge of a Echinophyllia plate I got a couple years...
  7. addict

addict's downsized reef

Oh yeah... raising baby Harlequins would be a chore, and would probably require you to be independently wealthy. :D Well, stuff is starting to trickle in... the order from Marine Depot came in on Monday evening. The Tunze 6025 nanostream is on backorder until mid-July, which isn't surprising...
  8. addict

My new Cube !!!

Wow... you have some outstanding stuff there Robert! :thumbup: Those SPS are starting to make me jones out here... I really like the yellow monti with blue polyps... sweet!
  9. addict

Clams and Lighting

Cyclop-eeze is zooplankton, not phytoplankton (it's animal, not vegetable). ;) DT's is a good source, unless you have access to other brands. Live phyto is best, though I've never tried the 'dead' stuff for clams... always DT's. It's pretty difficult to do it in the tank without a lot of...
  10. addict

addict's downsized reef

Thanks Robert. Good to see ya. :) Yeah Doni, I figured that it cost about $150/yr to feed the shrimp, and that was at 1 star every two weeks, as a rough estimate. CC's are about $6.50 here, so about $7 after tax. Two per month x 12 months and it adds up quick. But for such a unique creature...
  11. addict

addict's downsized reef

LOL Doni... yeah, it will be a lot easier doing waterchanges with a 5 gallon bucket rather than a 32g garbage can. ;) Thanks blue_eyes53813, I'm hoping that it turns out good too. :) Thanks to you as well kathywithbirds. It's going to be a definite change in mentality going to a nano from a...
  12. addict

topping-off a tank due to evaporation

Keep in mind that RO units are marketed using the 'Razers and blades' economic structure... the unit itself doesn't cost too much, but the replacement filters are where they get'cha. I would look at replacement filter cost before purchasing, since some units take special filters instead of...
  13. addict

addict's downsized reef

Thanks Doni. :) I miss this place whenever I'm away too... there's just so little time in the day to do everything that I want to do, and I've been disgusted with our reef for a long time (I hate to say). It's always one pest problem after another, though thankfully I haven't pulled any more...
  14. addict

lights question?

Well, like I stated, you can run them all night if you like... I just was trying to go for a bit more authenticity and figured that the moon wouldn't be up all night. Since I added in the lunar lights, my clownfish have been spawning almost nonstop, with just a couple days break in between...
  15. addict

lights question?

The way I normally run my lights, for a dawn/dusk cycle is as follows (remember it's my way or the highway... ;) ). Actinic T5's on at 8:30am 10K T5's on at 9:00am 250w halide on at 10:30am 250w halide off at 6:00pm 10K T5's off at 8:30pm Lunar lights on at 9:00pm Actinics off at 9:30pm Lunar...