Tang Growth Rates

ReeferClad

So I am new to this forum and this is my first post so HI! I am getting a 125 gallon reef tank set up. I am thinking of stocking the tank and I really want a blue hippo tang but I have read that they should have a 240 gallon tank minimum. How long would it take a very small juvie to grow too large for my 125? I will have about 170lbs of live rock between the display and sump, and the aquascape will be more or less three seperate structures for open swim space. My upgrade will be about three or so years from now after I move for college. Will this be too long?

I am thinking this but want to switch the convict tang out for the hippo if possible.

-Pair of Clowns
-3 Red Tail Flasher Wrasses
-3 Orange Back Fairy Wrasses
-Randall's Shrimp Goby w/Pistol added with Tribal Blenny
-Green Mandarin Dragonet(willing to drag out adding this 8-9months after cycle)
-1 Azure, 1 Blue Devil, and 1 Yellow Tail Damsel
-1 Convict Tang
-1 Purple Tang(going to save up for it)

Funlad3

Has been struck by the ban stick
I really don't know the growth rates, so take what I'm about t say with a grain of salt, (pun not intended) but the convict (or sohal) tang will way outgrow your tank. Aren't I helpful? :lol:

ReeferClad

Not the sohal tang, I should have listed scientific names. I am referring to the Acanthurus triostegus, here is a link to some info. Yes you are very helpful lol! I would never get a sohal tang unless the tank was very big and the fish were more on the aggressive side lol.

dmatt88

Well by no means am I a pro. However a year ago I bought a regal or hippo tang. It was tiny. Now its probably 5" long. He hasn't grown super fast. Now keep in mind regal tangs collect ich faster than charlie sheen collects unemployment. Ill save u the boredom of my ich drama. But I will add. Qt that dude.

Ill reach here n say if u get it small ur good for three years. Ill also say the regal tangs r fun to watch. Mines a real goof. Probably the most fun fish I have. But prepare for the cost n stress of an upgrade. Good luck.

Matts DROIDX via Tapatalk

ReeferClad

How large was yours when you got him dmatt? I was going to aim for a 1"-2" little guy lol, they look very funny. I am going to QT every fish I get, in fact this weekend the 46gallon QT is getting set up. The tank was an old planted tank(actually torn down last week, for a smaller planted tank). Now that I think about the 4 week QT for each set of additions, the blue hippo may be a year out from now, so that means two years before an upgrade(for the tang at least) :)

dmatt88

It was about 2" if I remember correctly. I may be off on his current size a tad because he's afraid of the ruler. I believe I bought it in december last year. I'll tell ya the colors n patterns these guys get is amazing. Good call on the 4 weeks. Id treat em with cupramine.

dmatt88

On another note 40+ gallon qt is a bear. That takes a bunch of water. I use a 20 long completely bare. That way I take water from the 220 n its simply a water change. Just a thought

ReeferClad

I am using the 46 because the 20 long I have is going to be used as a krib fry growout tank :) I gotta pay for this addiction some how lol, with the other side of the addiction. Also, I may add both tangs to the tank at the same time so the purple and blue hippo won't fit(I don't think so at least) in a 20 with their activity level. I was thinking of doing a prazipro and cupramine treatment before being added to the DT so I don't get very much if anything into the tank, fish aren't easy to catch lol.

dmatt88

I am using the 46 because the 20 long I have is going to be used as a krib fry growout tank :) I gotta pay for this addiction some how lol, with the other side of the addiction. Also, I may add both tangs to the tank at the same time so the purple and blue hippo won't fit(I don't think so at least) in a 20 with their activity level. I was thinking of doing a prazipro and cupramine treatment before being added to the DT so I don't get very much if anything into the tank, fish aren't easy to catch lol.

Im impressed. I cannot even pronounce prazipro let alone spell it.
I do love hobbies that pay for themselves.

ReeferClad

Im impressed. I cannot even pronounce prazipro let alone spell it.
I do love hobbies that pay for themselves.

Lol, I learned the spelling from the other forum I am a member of(ReefCentral), which takes longer than it takes here to get a decent response! I like this site a lot!

dmatt88

Good people here. Sorry it took so long to respond haha.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Would love to see pics of your tank !

ReeferClad

I will start a build thread on it after it gets torn down next weekend for a repair. There will be lots of pics for sure! I love this place, everyone is really nice and knows a lot!

dmatt88

I will start a build thread on it after it gets torn down next weekend for a repair. There will be lots of pics for sure! I love this place, everyone is really nice and knows a lot!

Except for that matt guy. Watch out. Haha. Glad to have ya

ReeferClad

Haha you are nice! Because if cost, I am thinking I may go with a tennenti tang in place of the purple tang. I know the tennenti will out grow my tank eventually, but I think I will be fine for the upgrade time. I can't wait to get this tank going!

dmatt88

I want to expand on ur question. Hijack! People say tangs r tough to keep. But I keep 5 in a tank. Vlamingi. 5" sailfin 4" hippo 4 " scopas 2" yellow tang 3"

Tangs love algae. They eat all they can it makes em tough. My refugium is full of hair algae turf algae bubble algae etc u get the picture. I ruffle up my sump a few times a week to dislodge algae n it pumps to the tangs. Hell its gotta b good for feather dusters too mine is around 3 yrs thru my different tanks. Matter of fact its my longest living animal in the tank outside mushrooms.

In other words algae is ur friend. Get the tang!

ReeferClad

When my tank gets set up, I may be doing an algae scrubber for filtration. The filter sock catches too many pods so a mandarin would lose quite a bit of food. BTW, do you feed your tangs dried seaweed? I am pretty new to the hobby as well so, how do you get algae growth at a healthy rate as opposed to growing like it is a wild fire? I got some major hair algae issues, that my snails and hermits aren't even keeping down, which I guess if I trim the hair algae so it isn't long the blenny and tangs will keep it under control...

dmatt88

Time n lighting r ur buddy for algae. Its gunna grow in ur tank for a while. In the meantime u collect ur cuc n urchins. Algae problem done. I encourage algae growth in the sump by weak t8 lighting. Ps as chaeto grows it rids ur sump of hair algae.