Removed some coral polyps and Yellow Tang died within an hour.. HELP!!

I had some sort of green looking star polyps (not true GSPs, I don't know what they are) that were taking over my tank, so today I tried to remove as many of them as I could..

Within an hour, my Yellow Tang, who had been swimming around just fine earlier today, died. My hammer is expelling white junk like it is dying, and I have a frogspawn doing the same thing. I have another frogspawn that seems to be doing fine.

My clown and damsels seem ok, and my coral branded shrimp is fine at the moment. I noticed all the serpent stars hiding in the rocks have now come out, as well as two bristle worms that are normally hiding..

I assume removing the polyps caused them to release a toxin.. I've done a water change, dosed with a large amount of Prime, and started running carbon. Is there anything else I can do to make sure I don't lose anything else?

I can't believe the Tang died so quickly.. I actually watched him take his last breath :(

How long should I wait before adding another Tang? I really need a Tang for hair algae control...

I wasn't wearing gloves while doing this (stupid, I know), and I do have a cut on my hand.. and my hand is feeling a bit numb.. At what point is this a medical emergency?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Yep - sounds like palytoxin. I had the same thing happen when I roughly pulled off a lot of a big colony of ugly palys. My water got milky from the toxins released, and I lost a couple corals and the rest looked bad for weeks. I didn't lose any fish though. You did right by doing a large water change and running some fresh carbon to help remove the toxin. I'd wait at least a week or two before replacing the tang, and maybe replace the carbon every couple days for a while. Be careful you don't get any tank water in your eyes or mouth, or in any cuts on your hands/arms.

Good thread........see especially page 2

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...-potential-stings-poisons-our-reef-tanks.html

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I wasn't wearing gloves while doing this (stupid, I know), and I do have a cut on my hand.. and my hand is feeling a bit numb.. At what point is this a medical emergency?

I wish I could answer that but I don't know. Keep an eye on it and get medical help if it gets worse. If you have to, be sure to tell them it may be palytoxin from corals.

I wish I could answer that but I don't know. Keep an eye on it and get medical help if it gets worse. If you have to, be sure to tell them it may be palytoxin from corals.

Thanks yeah I'll keep an eye an it.. That stuff is no joke.. I mean that Tang went from a perfectly healthy guy to dead in an hour... wow.

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
Yes please keep us posted if you can, we don't want to not hear from your for days otherwise we will be thinking the worst.

I just called poison control.. They said as long as it's just numbness in my hand to just keep an eye on it. I'll keep you guys posted..

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Good idea on calling poison control. Be sure to leave us a post later or tomorrow & let us know you're doing OK.

catran

I had my thumb go numb. FYI, the numbness didn't go away for a few days. Only I was wearing gloves, they had gotten snagged and apparently some zoa juice got in there while I was fragging. I would definately do a water change asap if I were you!!

bshady

When i frag zoo's i dont wear gloves and my hands usually go numb for an 1-3 hours depending on how many i fragged. The numbness should go away in a few hours. But if it starts spreading i would seek medical attention.

GlassMunky

When i frag zoo's i dont wear gloves and my hands usually go numb for an 1-3 hours depending on how many i fragged. The numbness should go away in a few hours. But if it starts spreading i would seek medical attention.

MAYBE you should wear gloves since you know thgey make you go numb lol.....:look:

Robzilla

^Yeah come on man!

Sevo....monitor for breathing, headaches, and temperature in addition to numbness.

So, I spent the night with a 101 degree fever, muscle aches all over my body... I mean EVERY muscle ached, joints aches, upset stomach.. Just like having the flu.

I'm fine now after sleeping all day. My two frogspawn, torch, and hammer did not make it. My duncan and other zoos are just fine, as well as my clown and three damsels.

I will NEVER go in my tank again with gloves.