imaccat's RSM 250

imaccat

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to introduce myself in this forum as I am about to place my order for a new RSM 250 max! :hallo:

I currently have a 30 gallon FOWLR tank, with only 3 fish at the moment, a Maroon Clown, Hawaiian Damsel and a Green Chromis. The Damsel is a bit of a bully and I think this is partly down to the size of the tank and I am considering not putting him in the new RSM, but would like peoples advice as to whether the extra space in the RSM would reduce his bullying or reduce the impact of it.

The second area I would like some advice on is the positioning of the new tank. I have 2 options, firstly to put it where the FOWLR tank is which is ok, but because the RSM is deeper than my current tank this may cause a problem, so my preferred option is to put it in my conservatory, where there is more space and is also a better place visually. I realise that they shouldn't be in placed in direct sunlight, but my conservatory roof is opaque and not clear glass, but I don't know if this is considered direct sunlight or not. I intend to buy a chiller for the RSM, so hopefully the additional heat of the conservatory wont be a problem, but I am worried about the direct sunlight - any advice would be gratefully received.

On the subject of chillers, does anybody have any recommendations as to which one is best for the RSM?

Looking forward to your help and experience as I start out on this new journey!

Iain

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Re: RSM 250 Max Newbie

Iain

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary and the RSM Club, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

The RSM 250 is a great tank ! I think I would put it where I could see it the most, but out of direct sunlight.

imaccat

Iain

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary and the RSM Club, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

The RSM 250 is a great tank ! I think I would put it where I could see it the most, but out of direct sunlight.

Thanks for the welcome, yes I agree that it should be where I can see it the most, which is the conservatory, but not sure if having an opaque roof on the conservatory means its not direct sunlight. Its very bright and the roof diffuses the sunlight so no real shadows are cast etc, so I'm in a bit of a quandary

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

welcome-rainbow-rotate-ag1.gif

If the roof glass is opaque I'm guessing it would be OK. The hood will also shield it from a lot of that light. Just an educated guess. :) My 130 is a few feet from a north facing window and only gets indirect sunlight and it's never been an algae problem.

Good luck with the new 250 and welcome aboard!

FCatCH76

for my two cents...I have my RSM250 on the side of my living room window. I frequently let the setting sun hit my tank...what...natural sunlight bad for corals...lol. Its the nutrients in the water and the maintenance that we don't want to do that causes the unwanted algae outbreak. But with proper maintenance and a healthy tank, the maintenance will be minimal and the beneift of the sun phenomenal. Again, just my two cents..

imaccat

Thanks for the advice and welcomes, think I will go with it in the conservatory. Just been Reading other threads on rock work, some fantastic structures on view so thinking about how I will structure mine

Dweezil

Thanks for the advice and welcomes, think I will go with it in the conservatory. Just been Reading other threads on rock work, some fantastic structures on view so thinking about how I will structure mine

Welcome to RS. To me that's almost the hardest part of setting up a new tank. Getting the rock work just "perfect" and finding just the "right" rock.
Everyone seems to go through lots of changes in the beginning because we are never quite happy with it or see someone elses that looks so much better. hahaha It's fun though.

imaccat

Order placed yesterday for the 250, chiller and vortech, should all be here next week, can't wait.

Does anyone have any advice on type of live rock and quantities? I have some in my FOWLR which will get transfered at some point, although I don't know how much so I will have to get the scales out to weigh it all.

Thanks for the welcome Dweezil and nanoreefing4fun I will get some pics up as soon as possible

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF

Cpngrats on the new chiller and vortech ! What kinds did you get?

Iain - Tell us again where you live? Will help with LR suggestions.

RE: LR - about 1 & 1/2 pounds per gallon - is a good general rule, depending on how dense the LR is. I love Tonga Branch, but it has become kind of hard to get. I would try to order from a vendor with a good track record.

imaccat

Cpngrats on the new chiller and vortech ! What kinds did you get?

Iain - Tell us again where you live? Will help with LR suggestions.

RE: LR - about 1 & 1/2 pounds per gallon - is a good general rule, depending on how dense the LR is. I love Tonga Branch, but it has become kind of hard to get. I would try to order from a vendor with a good track record.

I've ordered the D-D DC300 chiller and a vortech MP40W.

I take it you mean US pounds, not sure what that converts to in English pounds - but I will check, thanks for the info

I live in Essex, England so I guess any vendors you would recommend would be a bit out of my way!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF

about 40 kg :)

Yep - have let the mates over there recommend a good Live Rock vendor - Cheers :clink:

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

Any idea how much rock you'll be transferring from the FOWLR? A lot of how much rock you want will also be determined by the look that you want - a lot of stacked rock, or a more open look. Leave room for corals that may come on a hunk of rock. Ask Anthony (Glenn's link above) and other 250 owners how much they added, to get an idea of the look you want and approximately how much rock you'll want.