What do you Feed your Yellow Tang ? ? ? :)

new reefer 03

:tongue: hey,
i just bought a Yellow Tang, and i am wonderring what you feed yours? i know they eat some algae ( seaweed? ) but what do you feed him like frozen mysis, pellets? what, and what brand do you feed?

cioutlaw

:tongue: hey,
i just bought a Yellow Tang, and i am wonderring what you feed yours? i know they eat some algae ( seaweed? ) but what do you feed him like frozen mysis, pellets? what, and what brand do you feed?

I feed my Tangs sheet Nori daily & they also eat Mysis, rods reef food, Formula 1, Pellets...they will eat about anything.

blue_eyes53813

My yellow tang eats nori,dried algae sheet,formula one ,formula 2, mysis, brine shrimp, and rods reef, He eats pretty much anything added to the tank. I feed a small 3" x 3" square of algae everyday ( I have 3 tangs though). And The meaty foods every other day...

new reefer 03

Vicki,
do you get the formula one, and two online or at a LFS ? ?
my LFS hardly cary any Frozen Food, and drsfosterandsmith.com have it, but it would have to be thawed by the time it got to me, right?

ZAPCOnj

The Girlfriends Yellow eats frozen harkari sparilla Brine, hakeri Mysis, but ihis favorite is Formula 2 Sparilla Pellets (the green bottle of formula 1) and flake. he also gets some Nori every other feeding

she tries to mix it up every feeding so he has some variety.

sambrinar

Nope. 100 gal minimum.. Just because many people do it, doesn't mean it is right. You should really research before you buy. JMO
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Yellow Tang - Hawaii
Yellow Tang - Zebrasoma flaviscens

the tang is fine in my tank, the only problem is his room to swim, but he has 4 feet, front, and back. the sides are open, my rockwork ( middle ) even has holes that he can swim through.

Cole, Your tank is too small for the tang (55gal).... Since you don't believe me I pulled your quote and moved it here, so others will comment. I don't care what others have done,,,, Minimum tank size is a 100 gal. Look at the peeps tank sizes, who have answered your question.... All 100+

I see Lynn found the other thread... Obviously you do not listen

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/off-topic/39654-rs-mods-can-you-change-title.html#post566893

ZAPCOnj

I agree with brenda. my GF went out and impulse bought a number of fish and although our house will be built by this time next year and the new tanks will be 250+gallons each... her purchases have cost me nearly $1000 more to upgrade her to a 90 gal bowfront. since i felt that the fish she got MAY get big too fast.

the yellow needs a bigger tank than a 55gal

new reefer 03

how do you measure him? like from nose to fin, or nose to where fin starts?
i just got him likr 5 hours ago, and he is only eating some seaweed right no w.

ZAPCOnj

well, since i cant hold a ruler to him i will estimate 3 /12 - 4"

wow.. he's a good size one... I would say if he's healthy in 3 months he will be getting to the point of being too big for your tank. I would keep an eye on him and look for signs of stress...

if you were to tell me that he's about an 1.5" or 2" tops then he could go about 6months before he gets too big... GL

new reefer 03

Thanks! i had to do some minor re rocking so he has some caves, but he a a 4" x 1" peice of seaweed salad, and hasnt stopped roaming around my tank in excitement!!

new reefer 03

8675309eiiine051.jpg

8675309eiiine052.jpg

as far as i can tell, hes healthy. he has nice color, eats well, doesnt stay in just a corner, and his top fins look good. my only concern is he has a few brown dots by his eyes.