Rearing Picasso Percula Clownfish!

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
It is time to begin keeping track of my trials and tribulations, and (hopefully) successes in rearing babies from my picasso clownfish pair. :D

I am very excited about this and am up to the challenges that await me! :) Although I am just now starting this thread, I have been completely immersed in learning how to rear them. Reading, reading, reading, reading... :read:

Recap:
I have had my clowns for approx one year. I purchased them from different local fish stores in my area. The male was a juvenile and lacked the black coloration but has since colored up nicely. The female was much older and already had very nice tri-coloring of orange/white and black.

They first spawned 5-26-08 but the female didn't do such a good job laying the eggs and they floated away :(

The second spawn was yesterday, 6-8-08. The female did a much better job and the eggs were layed successfully on a piece of clay pot I placed over their previous spawning site.
Although the male began eating the eggs at first, he did eventually stop (thank goodness) and as of this morning, there are at least 100 pretty orange eggs :dance:
Both the male and female are now tending them and with the help of the haddoni carpet anemone, the eggs are very safe from other fish eating them.

For information on sales, please refer to this thread:
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/livestock-sale-trade/37665-picasso-snowcasso-clownfish-sale.html

Pics to come...

Last edited:

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Books needed!!!

:read: :read: :read:

The first step was to learn... I HIGHLY suggest these books to anyone wanting to rear baby fish:

Clownfishes, Joyce Wilkerson
Plankton Culturing Manual, Frank Hoff & Terry Snell
Conditioning, Spawning and Rearing of Fish, Frank Hoff

Referencebooks.jpg

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Culturing zooplankton & phytoplankton!

Before I had mouths to feed (baby clownfish) I had to learn HOW to raise the food they require. They require tiny zooplankton as first foods and the best type to raise at home are rotifers! Rotifers must eat also so it is important to provide food for them too; they eat phytoplankton. .... oh boy... LOL~

Because of the possibilities of 'crashes' in both rotifer and phyto cultures, redundancy is important. I currently have four large cultures of rotifers going... two outside in the shade and two inside my garage.

I have frozen instant-algae for a back up to my live phyto cultures.

Rotifer:
20080606Rotiferphytopics009.jpg

20080606Rotiferphytopics008.jpg

20080606Rotiferphytopics006.jpg

This is what a dense culture of rotifers looks like (the green tint is phytoplankton that they feed on)
20080606Rotiferphytopics005.jpg

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Phytoplankton culture began from live culture cells:

20080606Rotiferphytopics001.jpg

20080606Rotiferphytopics010.jpg

Here is the Instant-Algae and Rotifer-Diet that are in the freezer and refrigerator. These will feed the rotifers when there is no live phyto. They are VERY, VERY concentrated. A few drops goes a loooong way...

20080530rotiferculturenanopaste008.jpg

20080606Rotiferphytopics012.jpg

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Eight - nine days after spawning the eggs will hatch.
I will remove the eggs and the substrate they are attached to (clay pot) the day of the hatch and place in a separate aquarium.

More pics to come as I progress...

Last edited:

blue_eyes53813

Ohhh How exciting... Looks like you have had your work cut out for you... Can I have 1st dibs on the babies? I would like a couple...

Woodstock

RS STAFF
This photo was taken a week or so ago.
The parents and their host anemone live in the center of my 120 reef.
20080530rotiferculturenanopaste010.jpg

BarbMazz

Very cool and exciting, Doni!!

I'll be on the list, too, if you're seriously taking names. Your fish are beautiful, so I'm sure your grandchildren will be, too!

That video was really something! Their movements are so cool while they're spawning; like a beautiful dance.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Very cool and exciting, Doni!!

I'll be on the list, too, if you're seriously taking names. Your fish are beautiful, so I'm sure your grandchildren will be, too!

That video was really something! Their movements are so cool while they're spawning; like a beautiful dance.

Glad you enjoyed the video!

Hopefully, I'll have enough babies for all but for those asking for 'dibs' will get pick of the litter :) I have no idea if the babies will have the picasso markings or regular striping but I expect there will be a variety.
I won't sell them until they are over 1" (3-6mo old) but even then I doubt the black will be filled in. I've been reading the perculas develop their coloration very slowly.

Vickie, Kathy & Barb have pick of the 'litter'. LOL~
I hope you ladies are patient :D

Triggerjay

Doni! Great job. You look VERY well prepared. Ok, not to hijack, But I can't keep BigAl in suspense anymore. I am in the process of setting up a clownfish breeding system. I have 5 30g breeder tanks, which are in the process of being plumbed together for the broodstock tanks. So far, I have three pair of clowns. two oscallaris pair, and one GSM pair. I have not started my clutures yet. I plan to do so after I get the broodstock system set up. I will be dividing the broodstock tanks up, so I can house 3 pair in each tank. Doni, I am sure you have prob been there, but MOFIB - Marine Ornamental Fish & Invertebrate Breeders - Marine Fish Breeding / Saltwater Fish Breeding / Marine Invertebrate Breeding is the best place I have found on the net to get breeding and rearing information. I also see you have the clownfish bible by joyce wilkerson. Great book, and a must have. You look VERY well prepared, and I can't wait to see this progress!

Jason

Triggerjay

Oh yeah... theres a lady named Kathy on the site I posted. She raises literally HUNDREDS of baby clowns. You might want to look her up. She also has her own site Kathy's Clowns, Captive bred clownfishK That should be the right link... Anyhow, It might be good if you can get her # in case you have any questions.. It would be nice to be able to call someone who has done it before... If anyone has a chance at success, Its you Doni... Got the rotifers going already, Got the phyto, got the books..... and most important of all.. You have a pair spawining! Can't wait for updates!

Jason

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Awesome Jason!!! I have a breeding buddy! LOL~
Yes, I joined MOFIB a few weeks ago :D Great forum with GREAT minds there and tons of breeding experience to share!!

I HIGHLY recommend ordering your rotifers & phyto cultures from REED MARICULTURE
Awesome products and outstanding customer service.

I have also ordered supplies from FLORIDA-Aqua-farms and Brine Shrimp Direct | Quality Aquarium Fish Food Products

Too bad you aren't closer as I could save you a LOT Of money giving you rotifer and phyto cultures.

BarbMazz

Doni, if you've looked at my chronicle lately you'll know I'm NOT patient. lol :eek: :look:

However, I don't seem to be impatient for FISH, so waiting 3-6 months is most likely perfect for me!

Is it weird to get a pair from the same brood? lol :laughroll

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Doni, if you've looked at my chronicle lately you'll know I'm NOT patient. lol :eek: :look:

However, I don't seem to be impatient for FISH, so waiting 3-6 months is most likely perfect for me!

Is it weird to get a pair from the same brood? lol :laughroll

Naaa... just give them red-neck names. LOL