Algae Eater w/ tumor?

plecosword

I have an Adult agae eater that has been growing really fat, she at the point were she can hardly lift herself up, now she cannot possibly be pregnant because The only other one i have is way to small for her, anyone have ant idea what could be causing it? I think it may be the pine cone disease that guppies and mollies get. :(
DSC00226.jpg

DSC00225.jpg

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
could be almost anything i guess Mario, tumor, egg bound, gas, internal parasites a rock? examine the vent for redness and my quarantine

plecosword

I just noticed his/her scales are spky, so its definatly the pinecone disease! I can quarantine him in a 3g, or 1g. any recomendations on medication? i have lifeguard tablets

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
sorry to say no, I have never had any luck with that, it is contagious so get it out of the tank, maybe methblue ?

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Snuiff sniff, My algae eater died :( it had lasted me about 3 years now.
:cry1: :nopity: RIP

sorry to hear! dropsy is a symptom of other related problems and three years is pretty good for an algae eater, anyway, I think you did pretty good, at least you noticed something was wrong.

plecosword

well Ya that did really suck, but i guess he lasted me a while. The little one is a simiase algea eater, his black stripe faded and he turned all gold, his eye is the only thing left black, do you know anything about this?

reefjitsu

well Ya that did really suck, but i guess he lasted me a while. The little one is a simiase algea eater, his black stripe faded and he turned all gold, his eye is the only thing left black, do you know anything about this?

That is a Chinese algae eater (CAE), not the Siamese. Well to be fair, it is a Gyrinocheilus aymonieri . It is sometimes called a Siamese algae eater, but is more commonly called the Chinese algae eater even though they are usually from India. There is another and completely different fish that is called a Siamese algae eater. The Siamese looks similar to flying foxes and are often confused with them.

This link has a breakdown of the commonly confused Asian algae eaters:
Algae Eating Cyprinids

It is not uncommon for the CAE to change color and pattern as they get older. There is also a "gold" variety, which yours appear to be. As they become adults they become omnivores and need more meaty foods in addition to algaes. Some people also report that they become aggressive as they get older.

plecosword

accually, I was just looking at the difference and your right! it was a chineese agae eater! wow all this time, it was a baby chineese algae eater. he gets agressive with larger fish, catfish. i had him in my breeding tank too, they will not eat babies!, and wow look at this pleco!
nickv_pleco_072806.jpg