"Balling Method" for supplementing

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Thanks to HMA "Heinz" for helping explain this method to me :thumbup:

The "Balling method" is named after Hans-Werner Balling. It is a way to supplement your reef with calcium, sodium carbonate, magnesium, trace elements, and amino acids.
There seems to be different versions of this method ranging from Balling Full, Balling Light, Balling Complete, to Balling Complete plus. Most of the information is in German but a few sites are translated into English...

Heinz's Balling method: http://riffaquarium.hm-photogalerie.de/lang_eng/info_3_eng.html

Fauna Marin - Claude Schumacher's Balling Light: http://www.faunamarin.de/eng/manual_balling-methode.php

Ralph Prehn's Balling method: http://cashh.de/?page_id=56

I believe I will eventually do away with my kalkwasser and begin using Heinz's Balling Complete Plus method .

:)

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Below is information that I have gathered through both PM's (Thanks again Heinz :) )and researching. I have hyper linked the sites for each item so shopping is a breeze!! It should save any interested person a LOT of searching!!

I will use Heinz's Balling Complete plus recipe: I will have three(3) 2.5-2.6 gallon (10 litter) jugs filled as follows:

#1 Jug:
#2 Jug:

3 Jug:
Heinz said:
Remember please, before you can start with the Balling method, all values must brought on standard.

The addition amount is dependent on the consumption of the carbonate hardness. It is very important that all solutions are added in equal parts. Start depending on the stocking with 10-30 ml / 100 liters per day, regularly examine the KH value and adjust the dosage. When you admit the solutions is totally irrelevant. They should be somewhat time-separated, never admitted together.

I will more than likely purchase a GroTec III NG dosing pump but I am still researching other options.

Nacl free salt mix can now be purchased here ---> Progressive Reef - Buy Fauna Marin Products Online - UltraLith, UltraBak, Balling Salts
:thumbup:

I hope this post helps others out there. :)

Last edited:

prow

so you are diving in huh? or are you standing on the edge looking at how deep the water is?

ic you have been busy, great job putting it all together.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
I've been standing on the edge looking in for a few months now :) I'm not ready to take the plunge yet but getting closer. I am still researching and reading... but from what I have read, it is a very good method. Although seemingly daunting at first, it will be totally automated and extremely accurate.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Sounds like a GREAT thread to follow and look at (pics). I like the idea of the "complete Plus" method! But "the water DOES look deep" from where I am standing. Is there a "kiddie pool" version? :D

prow

i know you can get great results with this method. best of luck to you, i know you will have awsome results. going to have let us know how maintaining its goes. how much do you think your set will cost after everything is said and done (pumps, test kits, all that stuff)?

Woodstock

RS STAFF
The cost of the TECIII NG pump is enough to deter me for a while; in which time I can figure out where the three jugs will go! LOL~

blue_eyes53813

Wow best wishes Doni... I read a little of it and my head is spinning... Im sure you will figure it all out . You said you have been reading on it for a couple months... I may need a year, lol just kidding.. Let us know how it goes.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
can you still use the eco aqualizer with this?

Lead on Captain Woody!

Last edited:

hma

I am speechless . Congratulation you have resolved to apply the Balling method. You will see very quick, as complicates as it at first sight look it is not. The amounts used by me of the required chemicals is chosen in such a way, with a regular examination one overdose is to be excluded. To your "still" small "problem" because of the GroTec III NG dosing pump. I developed at the moment for my smaller aquariums my "own" “dosing system. As soon as I have this "arrangement" ready and she works reliably, I will publish the result here. I am quite sure for some DIY-Fan it will be interesting and above all substantially more reasonably than one expensive GroTech NG III.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
I look forward to seeing your device!

More reading info:
coral-shop.com - Products - CS-Balling Line - What is the Balling Method about? - An introduction to the Balling method.
What is the Balling Method about?The Balling method is primarily concerned with the regular and controlled exchange of salt water. In other words the elimination of excessive NaCl, brought about by the application of products for the replenishing of calcium (Ca) and magnesium (Mg).

How does the Balling method solve the problem with NaCl?Preparation of salt water for the regular exchange of water proceeds so that part of the standard sea salt is substituted for salts without NaCl. In water manufactured for the exchange there is as much NaCl less as NaCl produced through the application of calcium chloride a/or magnesium chloride since the last exchange. After exchanging the water there is no excess of NaCl in the tank.

A brief Introduction to the application of CS Balling

althea2you

good thread woodstock! yeah as soon as my tank is stable after its cycling process i will be starting this... balling complete.. i have all the chemicals already and my set up ready to be set up!!!! i will be doing it manuallly, just as easy to do i guess, i cannot afford a Grotech! LMAO! but maybe in the future ill get a triple doser. i want to start my tank off at great levels and to get into the rythem before i have a fully stocked tank and then starting! LOL...

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Thanks Woody for such a through job on researching this method. I to have been researching this method and the only thing holding me back is where to locate this equipment. I have been looking at this dosing pump.

Aqua Medic Reefdoser Dosing Pump – Triple (Saltwater Aquarium Supplies > Dosing Pumps/Top-Off > Electric Powered > Plug-in Units )

I know the Ca reactor group buy went over like a lead balloon, but perhaps if we get enough interest in a dosing pump we can start a group buy! :D

Al, there is a kiddie pool version, it called Balling Light! :D

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Get the grotech TEC III NG dosing pump Scott. I have done a lot of research and find it to be superior to others.
I found a place that ships them to the US (no extra shipping cost). The TECH III NG comes with three pumps but you can add more to it later if needed (up to a total of 11 channels).

Aquarium & Pond products from SeaMe.com - For hobbyist & professional - Only the best is good enough

I have been corresponding with them via email and they will be glad to order the unit 110 volt used here in the states.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Microprocessor controlled dosing unit for daily automatic dosing of trace-element solutions.
Basic device for 3 trace-element solutions 0-1999 ml/day.
By the menue-guided programming dosing quantity, -time and –frequency are individually adjustable at all channels.
Dosing frequency up to 24 times per day.
Modular extendable by EP II + EP IV up to 11 channels.
Low energy requirement max. 5 W.

Dimension:

(l x w x h) 150 x 230 x 60 mm
[/FONT]

The TEC III NG = $559.21

The TEC III NG small package = $644.11
(comes with the tray and three 500 ml of Corall A, Corall B, Corall C)

I am thinking about buying the TECIII small package since it is only $80 more.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
HMA, if I get the corall A,B,C, can I use them for the balling method?
Can I just add my calcium and sodium carbonate, magnesium, with them?

kathywithbirds

Thanks for all the info!! I've been following in some of the chemistry forums too, gathering info if/when we move and set up a "big" tank eventually.

hma

1 -
HMA, if I get the corall A,B,C, can I use them for the balling method?

2 -Can I just add my calcium and sodium carbonate, magnesium, with them?

to 1 - You can use the GroTeck Coral A, B, C trace elements instead of the products of fauna Marine. However, in my eyes the products of fauna are marine substantially better.

to 2 - With the Balling solutions together you can use them. However, alone are seen these are NO Balling solutions, these are TRACE ELEMENTS!!!!!

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Thanks Doni, I thought getting that German doser would be a nightmare. I believe that is the same one Heinz uses so it can't be all that bad.:D Do you think a group buy is possible?