My 29 gallon QT/Hospital Tank

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
This weekend I bought and started cycling a 29 gallon QT (30" x 12" x 18"). This tank's firsts purpose is to house all of the fish in my reef in order to treat them for ICH. Once that is finished, it will stay set up and cycled awaiting any new additions.

My achilles tang is showing signs of ich but is still eating like a pig and acting 'normal'. All of the other fish are doing fabulous but are probably silent carriers of the ICH so I will remove them all from my reef and treat them. The main reef will go 'fallow' for at least 6 weeks.

I am concentrating on getting the QT cycled and adding more 'water volume' so it can 'handle' the bioload of eight fish (17"). I am going to add an overflow onto it and set up a large Brute trashcan beside it. That will give a total of 50 gallons.

Once it is fully cycled, I will begin to move the fish over slowly and then treat with cupramine or hyposalinity.

Last edited:

Woodstock

RS STAFF
It will be a bare bottom for easy cleaning and, incase I use copper, there is no rock or other calcium based items.... just all lovely PVC :rolleyes:

QTorHospitaltank001.jpg

QTorHospitaltank007.jpg

QTorHospitaltank008.jpg

Last edited:

olivert00

Re: My 25 gallon QT/Hospital Tank

Hey Woody!
I keep a 30g long up and running for any outbreaks. I test it regularly.
good luck

Debbie

Woodstock

RS STAFF

Thanks Debbie.
When yours is empty, do you keep any livestock in it to keep it cycled or just add food occassionally?

ScubaDrew

Sorry to hear about the ICH Doni.

This is a very nice tank and stand for QT, and i really like the idea of the brute for extra water volume.

I'll be following along to educate my self about ich treatment.

thanks,

Drew

Woodstock

RS STAFF

Thanks Drew! It had to be aesthetically pleasing since it will be a permanent part of the room now.

I have an airstone/wand in it for extra oxygen. I think I'll put a bubble diver in it.. LOL!

cracker

Good idea on adding the trash can for extra volume. I see even "You" have an assortment of leftover pvc fittings. I have an extra hob overflow to donate if your interested.

Woodstock

RS STAFF

Thank you cracker but I got one on order from Billyr98. hehe~
Karma to you for offering :)

olivert00

I have some LR rubble and I hold any zoo frags that I find wondering in my big tank in there, and my friend Patrick takes them for his tank. I haven't used any chemicals in there yet.
I will keep it empty and throw some food in once in awhile.

Debbie

boozeman

NJRC member Carlo uses an intensive method of QT that involves cycling thru various Qt displays in order to exploit the natural ich cycle. details are in his blog site www.saltylivestock.com on the left column under ich/QT

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Sump up and running!

Hooked up the overflow that Billyr98 sent me then added the sump (32 gal Brute trashcan) tonight. That gives it a total water volume of 50+ gallons.

Ammonia = HIGH
NitrIte = 0
PH = 8.2'ish
NitrAtes= 0

bluespotjawfish

You might consider putting some of your small fish right in the brute container. You may run out of "fish space" in the 25. The shyer fish will be stressed by the more active ones. But it is also hard to monitor the fish in the brute, so that is a tough call.

Good luck with your plan. We're rooting for those kids of yours and an ich free tank :thumbup: :guns:

Woodstock

RS STAFF

I was thinking about that lastnight Lorraine but it is so difficult to see them in there.... My main concern is the achilles tang (It is the only one with spots). It will be my 'ich gauge' and will need to stay in the glass tank but maybe I could put a few of the others in the brute container....

Kirblit

Karma to you Doni because I know what you are about to go through. Get ready for WC's all the time. I have about 20" of fish in what was an uncycled 55 and they have been in there about 2 weeks and I'm just starting to get through the ammonia into trites and I'm still doing 20 gal a day WC and have gone through a whole bottle of cycle that is for 942 gallons! What method of treatment are you doing? I chose hypo and the fish look great and they were acting ich free after about 3 days of treatment because of the lowered salinity and ease of osmoregulation.

Woodstock

RS STAFF

Thanks for sharing your situation. It helps to know I am not alone :)

I have not decided on a method of treatment yet. I am deciding between hypo and copper but leaning more towards hyposalinity.

I am always ready for water changes. I always have a 55 gal drum full of ro/di and another 55 gal drum full of mixing salt water. My water changes are very easy now!

Kirblit

I chose they hypo for three reasons: less stress on fish, more natural, and I can reuse the tank for a QT tank and don't have to use it as a hospital tank forever only. The copper will leach out of the silicone after treatment from what I have heard.