Ocean Reef Aquatics *WARNING*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I purchased three picasso clownfish from this company. They were DOA in cold water and filled with too much water/not enough air.
Still no word from them. I have left voice mails and emails with no reply... :smirk: They have caller ID and won't even answer now when I call.

I am out $285 for the fish plus $57 shipping with only 3 dead fish to show for it :doh:

Mario & Samantha
mario@oceanreefaquatics.com

Ocean Reef Aquatics
20714 State Hwy 305, Suite 3F
Poulsbo, WA. 98370
(360) 779-9499

Open Mon-Sat 10:30am-5:30pm, Sun 10am-5pm

mps9506

Sorry to hear they didn't come through. If anyone from that company reads this I hope they consider putting in a live arrival policy and for fish that don't ship well put a notification that they don't come with any type of warranty.
But typically captive bred clowns are excellent shippers.

DrHank

If there was a guarantee and you purchased with a credit card, call your bank and have them issue a charge back. That should get their attention and your money back.

You may want to consider adding a forum for Vendor experiences. Many other sites have one and it is helpful to all.

Sorry on your losses Doni, I hope that they will come to their senses and resolve this nicely for you. I hate it when a vendor doesn't come through. I had a vendor problem back in February when I bought my refugium. It took two weeks to arrive by FedEx from the day I "paypal"'d it and when it arrived, the up-take cone in the skimmer was broken off and the lid to the skimmer was cracked. When I contacted the vendor, he THEN tells me that he's not going to do anything about it without a digital picture because he has NO control on an item as to how it leaves the factory. Then over the Memorial weekend, the intake pipe that enters the refugium just undernearh the skimmer, broke in half. I just happened to see water dripping off the tank onto the floor while I was feeeding. I had to get the whole thing off the tank and outside untill the parts arrive from a new vendor. I don't have anywhere to store it in my townhouse and I didn't want to lose my tank. Last time a tank leaked, my wife made me immediately remove it from the house and to the curb for trash pick-up the next day. I had to donate all my South American fish to the local middle school science teacher because none of the local LFS would take any and I didn't know anyone else to give them to.

OceanReefAqua

We did talk on Tuesday, the day the clownfish arrived DOA. When I woke up and checked my emails and saw this happened. The first call was to ORA to see if they had any other Picasso's by chance so that I could try to work this out. And of course they did not. I was on a waiting for many months for these guys. However, they said they were willing to work something out for me and try to get me some real soon to help me rectify this. My second call was to DHL, my shipper. To ask about their shipping. I was informed that planes kinda have two parts to their cargo area. Part is cold and there is a part that stays warmer. Live animals are kept in the section that stays warm, however, sometimes animals get put into the wrong section and that is when problems arise. Needless to say, DHL or other carriers for that matter do not have guarentees on live animals that they transport.
Then I spoke to you (on Tuesday the day you received the fish) to try and rectify this. You asked me if you had a three Picasso credit, I said that we do not have a arrive alive guarentee since we cannot gaurentee shippers will get them there with no issues. You said that you assumed we had one. I said no, but to make it up to you, we would credit you 50% of your cost, less shipping since we did not want to lose you as a customer. And that I had spoke to ORA about getting more Picasso's as soon as possible to try to get you more. You said that was not an option for you since you did not want to do business with me, someone without a arrive alive guarentee. That was your decision. I would have gladly sent you more at cost. Which would have been $165 for three. So with your credit refund, would have been $27.50 plus shipping. But, I do not have a arrive alive policy. That was not an option for me with you.
Since Tuesday, after we spoke, I have been away and not at the shop until this morning. You sent me several emails, which I received this morning when I was able to check my emails again and you left one phone message on Tuesday evening. No one was here, we close at 5:30pm PST. Your call was at 6:06pm according to caller ID. No one was monitoring caller ID to try and ignore Doni's phone calls.
As for your emails, I will answer them here since you are bringing my business practice into question. Your report to the Better Business Beareu is noted. Your PayPal claim for a dispute is noted. Actually, FYI. Live goods purchased via Paypal and not purchased through a eBay auction are ineligible for seller protection. I didn't want to use Paypal, since they charge me more for merchant processing. However, since I do not accept AMEX, and you said you lost your credit card and Paypal had it on file, could we use them and I said ok. You did offer to pay the extra charge they would charge me and I said no, but that was very nice of you.
Doni, I thought I was very fair to you. You saw them advertised on a site that is global, but for a large part frequented by people in Washington state.I use it to advertise to the people in my area since my website is not up and running at the moment. I am having it rebuilt. Hence the $95 Picasso's, vice $149 Picasso's like other sites charge. At $149, I could have a arrive alive guarentee like some other sites do, because the replacement price is built into the price you already paid. Not sure who said I just started shipping. I have shipped fish, corals and live rock for years. As of late, I have shipped a lot of fish since finding a breeder of the black faced Black and White Ocellaris clownfish. Everyone wants them since no store has them. Also, I thought I was very fair to you when you wanted to purchase them and have me hold them for 10 days before shipping them out while you were on vacation visiting your mom. You said you did not want your husband to have to acclimate them since he didn't know how. While they were here, they were eating, swimming around and doing just fine.
I had 4 Picasso's, sold two of them to you along with two Australian Black and White Clownfish. Then I sold one other Picasso to someone else. And had many offers for a pair, however, I only had one available. Then someone asked me to hold that one for a day while he checked the paramters of his new tank before adding it. Then you contacted me before I was to ship them out and asked me if you could add another Picasso. I checked with him, he wasn’t ready yet, so I asked him if I could sell his Picasso to you and I would get him one as soon as I could. He said sure. I then contacted you and said yes, I can add another Picasso clown to your order. And you contacted me back, said great, and said just to make sure we are on the same page, you did not want the two Black and White clownfish anymore. I said ok, credited you the difference toward the third Picasso and said your owe me another $15 plus the cost of shipping which I had not charged you yet. Actually, looking at it now, I misscharged you, it should have been $25. $95 times 3 is $285. I only had you pay me another $15, which was $275 or $91.66 a Picasso.
As for your friend calling me this morning. Age of Aquariums or whatever your name is from phone number (843) 408-017?. I did not care for your tone on my voicemail. You said to call you back, not sure why I would do that, to my knowledge, you have nothing to do with this transaction.
And for the two emails I received today from smcq and pcn, thank you for sharing your thoughts on this matter. Your threats to my business are noted. I took them as a threat, and so did a sponsor friend of mine here at this site.
Like I stated earlier, I just got back today, and now I will issue you your 50% credit as we discussed on the phone on Tuesday, $137.50. I also contacted ORA and stated that I was issuing you a credit as we discussed on Tuesday and not to worry about trying to get me more Picasso's asap since I am not shipping more to you for this order. And to just place me at the bottom of the list and I will wait another six plus months for my turn to come up again. But since you do not want to do business with me again, as I stated on Tuesday, I will make an exception this time and issue you a Paypal partial refund.
We do not guarentee livegoods once they leave the shop. In the rare occasion something happens, at our retail location, on a case by case basis we issue store credit towards their next purchase, that is our policy. Here locally, just last week. Two customers purchased fish, took them home and they died. I had no idea why this happened. Since they lived close, I said let me come and look at your tank, this doesn’t make sense. One customer had been topping off the system so much, he forgot to check his salinity and it was none existant. The other one, his nitrates turned my test kit candy apple red, he was totally off the chart without even waiting the five minutes the test normally takes to fully change. I am aware this case is different, I am just stating why I have this policy in place.
I was looking into becoming a sponsor here once my site is completed. I guess that would not be a good idea with everyone knowing how horrible of a business Ocean Reef Aquatics is. As you said in your emails, you will spread the word at how bad of a business we are. And you have been doing just that. I have shipped to members from this site and others. Funny how Vendor Experience forums turn into places where individuals can sound off about negative and rarely positive experiences. We are a direct importer of corals, fish and live rock from Jakarta, Bali, the Marshall Island and now Australia.That is why we have such great prices. But who would want to do business with me now, a person with $85 Helfrichii Firefish, $95 Mystery Wrasse, $200 Black Tangs, Bluejaw Trigger pairs for $99 and live rock as low as $4.99 a lb!! Who would want to do business with me now??
Your credit has been issued. With you being staff/moderator here, I wonder how long my post will stay here for everyone to read, since everyone here was allowed to read your side.
Have a good day. And once again, I am sorry this all happened.

BoomerD

Without an "Arrive Alive" guarantee, why would anyone want to do business with this company?
Sure, the prices are pretty good, but if the fish are dead when you get them, then the price doesn't seem too good.
I got burnt ONCE on a box of discus many years ago from a fish-breeder who didn't offer a guarantee, but "promised he had never lost a fish during transit"...that should have been my first clue...EVERY fish seller loses a few during transit, no matter how good they are, or how well they are packed...
Anyway, Doni, sorry to hear of your loss. Hopefully next time, you'll find a better place to do business with.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
I have a small business myself, I have 1 line of advertising in the yellow pages, my very existence depends on word of mouth, the only bad customer is an unhappy one and will do more bad for you that 10 good happy ones,OceanreefAqua this is your "Golden Opportunity" to regain the trust and business you set out to earn, do the right thing, supply Woody with what she paid for, learn from your mistake and retain community support, its far cheaper in the long run. Steve

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Perhaps he should put in bold red letters in his web site "WE DO NOT GUARANTEE OUR FISH TO ARRIVE ALIVE". That way all prospective buyers will be informed!

As for threatening e-mail, my e-mail was no more threatening than a stuffed teddy bear! Your e-mail address is public and you ask for comments. If you can prove I hurt you or your business with my personal e-mail to you, then come and get me!

DrHank

In this particular hobby a few well placed words on the major boards could definitely have a significant negative effect on this firms ability to do any internet business. No one, especially not anyone as experienced as Doni, would even think of ordering anything like this without at least an arrive alive guarantee.

Ocean Reef Aquatics response is purely an attempt to avoid reimbursing her for her loss. I think that not only should it stay up here for all to see but that it should be sent along with her Warning to every major board on the internet.

I'm as sure that this individual was as sincere about wanting to be a sponsor as I m that it will snow 4 " here in NW Florida tomorrow. I can tell by his post count just how involved he is here on this site.

Sorry Doni but this type of unscrupulous buisness really ticks me off. As a business professional myself, I can honestly say that if I responded the way they did, I'd have no business.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Thank you for responding. Thank you also for the 50% refund.

I apologize for any misunderstanding I may have created during our transaction but surely you must understand what I was thinking when you promise to call me back Tuesday but didn't????? I had no idea you were going out of town. Had I have known that, the outcome would have been much different. A quick email or a voice mail to me would have been nice...

Also, I would have never dropped that much money without an arrive-alive quarantee; assuming there was one was a grave error on my part!

Thanks again and have a good weekend.

boozeman

Who would want to do business with me now??
Your credit has been issued. With you being staff/moderator here, I wonder how long my post will stay here for everyone to read, since everyone here was allowed to read your side.
Have a good day. And once again, I am sorry this all happened.

I see no reason for this thread to be removed.
You should consider some type of ''arrive alive'' guarantee if you want to entice out of state shoppers.
As for becomming an RS sponsor...that choice is ultimately yours to make... but, keep in mind that members here are fiercely loyal to our sponsors, even more so than any other forum around :invisible

ReefLady

Staff member
I have to say, this vendor did seem to go out of their way to accomodate Doni and that is commendable. Seems things went wrong when DHL took over...

It is good for members to know that ordering from this company means no live arrival guarantee - and perhaps it should be more clearly outlined on their web site.

I think this is a misunderstanding and poor communication more than a bad vendor myself, but this forum is for people to decide for themselves. And Ocean Reef Aquatics, I would recommend you look more closely at our vendor experiences forum's history - there are far more positive reviews than negative ones.

As for sponsorship... Well, that's never affected the integrity of this board and certainly won't now. The open environment we encourage isn't for everyone. :)

I would urge Doni and the vendor to work things out from here and will close this thread. I will reopen it at the request of either party (Doni or the vendor).

Travis

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Please allow me to make an important point on behalf of the vendor. Their website is not in service. I should not have assumed that there was an arrive-alive gaurantee.

I will let the vendor choose to reopen the thread or not...

Status
Not open for further replies.