reverse photosynthesis device???

2455coop

I have had a total misunderstanding of the word REFUGIUM for quite a while now. After much reading I now understand the word and my tank.

A refugium is an extension of the main show tank. It is derived from the word refuge. A place where docile fish and inverts have a place to be without fear of being attacked or eaten. It may also have delicate corals as well. Also a refugium should be seen. A refugium should have the same water and filteration system as your main tank. It is also another place to showcase your talents.

What I have in my tank, however, is a wet/dry that I have converted into a reverse photosynthesis device. i have an overflow that flows over a prefilter and then down to my sump/reverse photosynthesis device. Now I know that is one huge word. But let me explain. This device is a wet/dry box that i split into two equal parts with a baffle in the middle. Where the water drains is about 12" deep. I have a DSB of about 2" to 3" and it is full of grape caulerpa (C. Racemosa) and a few snails. The left side is my sump.

The whole purpose of this device is to be a true biological filteration system. This biologcal filter is beneath my tank, hidden away from everybody. I have dual daylight pc lights (36 watts or 4.8 watts per/g) on it for 12 hours a day opposite from the main display. The disolved waste from the main tank feeds the macro algae in the filter. The waste is liquid fertiler and I have to thin my caulerpa every 4 to 5 weeks.

At first I didn't understand this process. I have since learned that by having a true biological filter that all my water parameters have stabilized. This filter seems to help remove all sorts of imputities as well as increase the dissolved oxygen in my tank.

I didn't come up with the name reverse photosynthesis device but it fits my device perfectly.

Attachments

• Refugium1 (Custom).JPG
    Refugium1 (Custom).JPG
    14.8 KB · Views: 152

reefjitsu

I am not understanding the name. Where does the reverse come from? It is because the lighting is on opposite the tank lighting?

2455coop

While photosynthesis is occuring the caulerpa is absorbing carbon dioxide from the main tank and oygenating the return water.

Since this process is occuring opposite of the main tank it happens at night. Reverse of the show tank.

Thus the name....reverse photosynthesis device

sebastian

i have the same filtration ... works perfect... build from 30 gal tank....all readings are 0!
sebastian
125 gal
30 gal sump

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
While photosynthesis is occuring the caulerpa is absorbing carbon dioxide from the main tank and oygenating the return water.

Since this process is occuring opposite of the main tank it happens at night. Reverse of the show tank.

Thus the name....reverse photosynthesis device

Cool! Does this have anything to do with nitrate removal?

reefjitsu

Yes, the caulerpa removes nitrates as it grows. When you trim the caulerpa, you essentially remove nitrates from the system. This is a reverse light cycle refugium, a very common practice. It has just been given a spiffy new name. I have done it before, but I came to prefer a 24/7 light cycle for my fuge.

dennyamy

I have had a total misunderstanding of the word REFUGIUM for quite a while now. After much reading I now understand the word and my tank.

A refugium is an extension of the main show tank. It is derived from the word refuge. A place where docile fish and inverts have a place to be without fear of being attacked or eaten. It may also have delicate corals as well. Also a refugium should be seen. A refugium should have the same water and filteration system as your main tank. It is also another place to showcase your talents.

What I have in my tank, however, is a wet/dry that I have converted into a reverse photosynthesis device. i have an overflow that flows over a prefilter and then down to my sump/reverse photosynthesis device. Now I know that is one huge word. But let me explain. This device is a wet/dry box that i split into two equal parts with a baffle in the middle. Where the water drains is about 12" deep. I have a DSB of about 2" to 3" and it is full of grape caulerpa (C. Racemosa) and a few snails. The left side is my sump.

The whole purpose of this device is to be a true biological filteration system. This biologcal filter is beneath my tank, hidden away from everybody. I have dual daylight pc lights (36 watts or 4.8 watts per/g) on it for 12 hours a day opposite from the main display. The disolved waste from the main tank feeds the macro algae in the filter. The waste is liquid fertiler and I have to thin my caulerpa every 4 to 5 weeks.

At first I didn't understand this process. I have since learned that by having a true biological filter that all my water parameters have stabilized. This filter seems to help remove all sorts of imputities as well as increase the dissolved oxygen in my tank.

I didn't come up with the name reverse photosynthesis device but it fits my device perfectly.

dennyamy

I just built a system very similiar to what you have described. I was thinking of putting several different marine plants in mine. I also have live rock and sand in it. How often do you need to do water changes in your tank. I have a 180 gallon.

lcstorc

Frequency and size of water changes depend on many things. Only test results can help you determine what is right for you and your tank.

cbrownfish

thats a reverse light cycle, not reverse photosynthesis....

I have to agree with Bob and what I think Dentoid is hinting at. A creative name but it is very misleading. "reverse photosynthesis" implies that you reversing photosynthesis or it's end product in some way......adding CO2. The Caulerpa is accomplishing the same thing your corals do, by removing CO2 and producing O2. Hence, a higher pH during the day. Running a frag tank, algae scrubber or refugium with algae/xenia on a reverse daylight schedule all accomplish the same thing.

Nocturnal Photosynthesis Device is a better fit IMHO. ;D

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Yall HAVE looked at the dates here right? :D Old thread being brought to the front of the forums.... can cause some confusion and such :)