Nobby's S-650

Nobbygas

Has anyone used the new Tropic Marin All-For-Reef Powder yet? Apparently, it supplies the Mag, Alk, Calc and all trace elements in one go, which can be dosed via a single dosing head. Is this the next big step in reefing?

Nobbygas

Working fish: Ok, so we all have a wide variety of fish in our tanks, but what fish do you have that are there to perform a specific task?
First I have my Filefish. He's there to eat the Aipstasia. If I look very very hard I may see the odd baby Aips in the tank, as the Filefish does a great job of eating them and keeping them under control.
Next is the Cleaner Wrasse. I don't think I have ever dived anywhere without seeing these on the reef. To me they are an essential member of the community. Not the best looking fish but essential.
Orange Spotted Goby - He's there to keep the sand clean and does a very good job.
Harlequin Shrimp - The Hunter! He has to keep the population of the Asterina Starfish in check. Never see him during the day as he tends to hunt at night. In fact I can go weeks without seeing him.

What 'working' fish do you have?

Nobbygas

I had to pop into the the large pet chain shop on the weekend to get some frozen food, and lo and behold they had a 10% discount on all aquarium related stuff. As I had every intention to get a Red Sea Doser pretty soon it made sense to get one then and there.....which is what I did !
It does look really nice.

Blue Space

I bought the large container of it because I plan on switching over for my new build (and probably the 40 as well). Though, I've not tried it yet... I've still got two giant bags of BRS two-part to burn through first. :)

I also bought a auto-stirrer with hot plate to make mixing it easier.

Nobbygas

I have installed and setup my Red Sea 4-Head Doser.
Packaging and instructions were all top class. The setup and calibration of the doser was very straight forward. Compared to my old cheap doser this one is from a different world. I also bought a set of the coloured dosing tubes. Apart from looking good it is very easy to see what is being dosed out the 'other end', if you get my drift. When all the tubes were just clear silicon it wasn't easy to work out which was which.
I really like the notifications you receive when your dosing container is getting low. It is one of those things that I frequently forget about checking, so this facility is just what I need!
One good thing is that the kit provides everything you will need, from doser, the dosing tubes, tube run tidy blocks and even the screw on device that sits on your sump to hold the ends of the dosing tubes. With a normal doser you buy the doser then you have to separately buy the dosing tubes then the screw on device to hold the ends of the dosing tubes over the sump etc etc. It also comes with a neat glass measuring tube to use on the calibration.
At this point I am one happy Red Sea customer :)

Nobbygas

Woo Hoo, I've got the medical ok to resume diving again, so this time next week I will be in Egypt ! My 11 year old has just got his PADI Open Water Licence (are you listening Shaun?) so I shall be taking him down.

SPR

Woo Hoo, I've got the medical ok to resume diving again, so this time next week I will be in Egypt ! My 11 year old has just got his PADI Open Water Licence (are you listening Shaun?) so I shall be taking him down.
Don’t you watch the news!! Lol

You know what I think about diving thank you very much

Nobbygas

That’s great, will be awaiting photos!!
Unfortunately I stopped taking photos & videos while diving years ago. I found that it was taking up so much time to get the right position, or to frame the shot, that I was actually missing what I was going down there to see !

Nobbygas

Nobbygas

It was good to get back underwater again. God how I've missed it. Mini Me MKII also completed his Open Water Corse which was not bad as he's only 11.
So, it's back to the tank and I have a job to do. I need to prune a lot of the corals. Some of the growth has been staggering and now it's affecting the light reaching certain parts.

Blue Space

Unfortunately I stopped taking photos & videos while diving years ago. I found that it was taking up so much time to get the right position, or to frame the shot, that I was actually missing what I was going down there to see !
When I play back the video i made back in 2010 I can relive it! Man, I need to get back in too! :)

Nobbygas

Unfortunately the time has come to sell my system. I am moving back to the UK (South Wales) in a few months time. To move the whole system, fish and corals would be a massive effort, and I don't really want to do that. So, I will sell it and hopefully when I have settled into my new place I will start a new tank.