Equipment list for 120 gallon reef input welvome

ramora

Here is my equipment list 120 gallon sc aquarium drilled with synergy reef shadow overflow lighting 300 watt maxspect razor x with hanging kit synergy reef ts 34 Triton method refugium sump 16inches synergy overflow v3 spec 40 gate valve and fittings synergy reef 5 gallon auto top off bubble magus curve 7 elite with since sk600 protein skimmer 2 300 watt fluval e series heaters e flux dc loop flow 3170gph auto aquasmart awc duo auto water change plus ato 2 4k gyre flow pumps thinking large montipora capricornis plus lps corals

DaveK

What you plan sounds good to me. If I were building my own system, it would be similar. I might use a few different brands though.

Only thing I would consider changing is the heaters. you have a lot more than you need. It only takes about 2w per gal of water to haet a take under normal conditions. One heater should do just fine. I'd also recommend using a temperature controller along with the heater. The thermostats in aquarium heaters are not that reliable. I hapen to be using an Inkbird controller, but there are other ones out there. One additional advantage of a temperature controller is that some of them can also control a chiller along with the heater. Something to consider if you ever think you'll want a chiller.

ramora

What you plan sounds good to me. If I were building my own system, it would be similar. I might use a few different brands though.

Only thing I would consider changing is the heaters. you have a lot more than you need. It only takes about 2w per gal of water to haet a take under normal conditions. One heater should do just fine. I'd also recommend using a temperature controller along with the heater. The thermostats in aquarium heaters are not that reliable. I hapen to be using an Inkbird controller, but there are other ones out there. One additional advantage of a temperature controller is that some of them can also control a chiller along with the heater. Something to consider if you ever think you'll want a chiller.
What wattage heater would you recommend

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
3w per gallon is good and I’d run a back up with a controller

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Yeah that should be good for a while. If you where severely pack with rock and corals, overtime you might find dead spots but that’s a great place to start

DaveK

Also, when you dealing with powerheads used for circulation, you can easily add more at a later time. They are more or less drop in the tank and use them devices, as compared to other equipment which might require major plumbing or other big changes to the system.