Shaun's 2000 Litre (530 USG) Living Reef & Red Sea Max S 650 LED Design & Build

Pancho75

The link is Death Juice
The important part is :-
"Add 2g of Sodium hydroxide powder or pearls to 50ml of ro/di water.

Once they have dissolved add 2g of calcium hydroxide to this.

Shake the suspension well. This suspension is corrosive take precautions with eyes and skin when using.

Turn off all pumps

Use sparingly and slowly drip onto the aip using a syringe.

Shake the bottle of it well before use each time."

The ingredients are easy to get from a well known jungle website or eBay, and are cheap.
I stopped to use Aip X maybe two years ago. I was getting more than 50% survival rate. I get a file fish every year an half and then trade it when his job is done. I would lose some soft corals but they grow back.

Reactions: SPR

SPR

The link is Death Juice
The important part is :-
"Add 2g of Sodium hydroxide powder or pearls to 50ml of ro/di water.

Once they have dissolved add 2g of calcium hydroxide to this.

Shake the suspension well. This suspension is corrosive take precautions with eyes and skin when using.

Turn off all pumps

Use sparingly and slowly drip onto the aip using a syringe.

Shake the bottle of it well before use each time."

The ingredients are easy to get from a well known jungle website or eBay, and are cheap.
Thanks, I’ve seen that before, the bit about don’t get it in your eyes or it will blind you and don’t get it anywhere else or it will dissolve your flesh, sort of put me off!! Lol

Nobbygas

Thanks, I’ve seen that before, the bit about don’t get it in your eyes or it will blind you and don’t get it anywhere else or it will dissolve your flesh, sort of put me off!! Lol
I think they just put that to make you aware. You get the same warnings on a box of Aipstasia X! I mix it up without using gloves. When mixed it looks just like Aips X, but it's stronger.
I'll tell you though, it works fantastically well to get rid of Aips.
The only thing they don't mention is that you need a set of very small scales to measure the small amounts, but these are available. Something like this for 7.89 of the Queens English Pounds Measuring Scales

SPR

Nice picture Shaun! Those corals have really grown. Did you buy a submersible cam? I am looking to buy an Akaso Brave 4.
Thanks Pancho

I don’t have a waterproof camera, but that Akaso looks good and very good value

Im just trying to think what I could do with it to be honest, because I can take close up shots, and I never go diving so....

I suppose I could strap it to my head when playing golf to see what I’m doing wrong! Lol

Blue Space

Absolutely knocking it out of the park, spectacular reef Shaun!

Ever think about taking up diving? Has it's perks you know... :)
camcase.jpg

Reactions: SPR

SPR

@SPR With your implementation of the Deltec Nitrate reactor, do you still need to do water changes? Are you using some type of filter media to reduce phosphates as well?
I use rowaphos to keep phosphate locked down very low at less than 0.03 and I’m delighted if it’s reading zero (it will just be very low)

The idea with the nitrate reactor is to reduce the amount of water changes to around 5% with the long term cost and maintenance saving. Doing 10% or more is a lot of salt in these size systems

Its a bit slow to come on line though, they can take up to 3 months . I was getting 3 ml/minute but I’ve had to knock it right back to 1ml to get back to a zero nitrate reading on the output, but I only did that yesterday so haven’t tested it yet.

I can tell the tank is getting some ‘carbon’ in it because of the fine haze on the glass.The output nitrate was around 5-10 which is no good and hence Ive turned it down because it will of course also be putting unused carbon into the system which I don’t want

Nitrate in the system is now around 15 which I’m ok with, so I’ll just keep an eye on it and adapt methods to suit.

Remember I also have around 58 litres of Seachem Matrix as well

Last edited: