Shaun's 2000 Litre (530 USG) Living Reef & Red Sea Max S 650 LED Design & Build

SPR

Just an observation, but the water level seems a bit high in the Sump? If you switch everything off, does the DT empty a lot of water into the Sump as on the S-650?
Next question. With the TECO you can move the 'top' so it vents from the side. Are you considering venting into the side compartment as would this help the main Sump area from overheating?
The return pump is turned down in that picture as the display is being fed with reef energy etc, so the water level is higher. It’s normally were you can see the Tunze sensor. The level you can see is the highest it will ever go if there was a power failure for example.

I turn the Abyzz from 86% power to 38% and it maintains the water in the return pipe without pumping it into the tank, in like a balance, so nothing flows over the weir

The Teco vents to the back of the tank which is all open and it hasn’t been an issue so far to be honest. I can also open the patio door if I needed to, but we tend to have all the doors and windows open anyway in summer as were fairly private here with the house location.

Nobbygas

The return pump is turned down in that picture as the display is being fed with reef energy etc, so the water level is higher. It’s normally were you can see the Tunze sensor. The level you can see is the highest it will ever go if there was a power failure for example.

I turn the Abyzz from 86% power to 38% and it maintains the water in the return pipe without pumping it into the tank, in like a balance, so nothing flows over the weir

The Teco vents to the back of the tank which is all open and it hasn’t been an issue so far to be honest. I can also open the patio door if I needed to, but we tend to have all the doors and windows open anyway in summer as were fairly private here with the house location.
When feeding with Reef Energy I only switch off the Skimmer. I let it circulate around the whole place ! The same with Reefroids. I don't bother with target feeding anything. Corals in the wild don't get target fed. They have to grab what they can when they can. It's a dog eat dog....err...fish eat fish....um....coral eat coral world.

Reactions: SPR

SPR

When feeding with Reef Energy I only switch off the Skimmer. I let it circulate around the whole place ! The same with Reefroids. I don't bother with target feeding anything. Corals in the wild don't get target fed. They have to grab what they can when they can. It's a dog eat dog....err...fish eat fish....um....coral eat coral world.
That's what i do in the S650 because if you switch the pump off is causes to much havoc in the sump, and it might not start up again! lol

I actually haven't cleaned the pump for nearly a year, so its time to swap it for the spare. It actually only takes a minute to swap it over, but..... Theres hardly any wires now ive taken those rear pumps out.

Nobbygas

Have you noticed any reduction in the noise since taking the rear circulation pumps out? I use a Decibel App on the phone and it has my S-650 at about 34 Decibels.

SPR

Have you noticed any reduction in the noise since taking the rear circulation pumps out? I use a Decibel App on the phone and it has my S-650 at about 34 Decibels.
Yes it’s quieter because you can’t hear anything from the MP40’s other than when on 100% power in nutrient export mode when I hear a slight pulse, but that’s only for an hour and you can only just hear it.

Basically I’ve lost 4 pumps and their noise so yes it’s quieter. I wish I’d changed them years ago put it that way but that’s hindsight!

There is no comparison with the MP40’s there way better in so many ways, cleaning, flow, noise but I appreciate the reason the rear circulation pumps are designed that way for a complete system. I’m not knocking it as such at all.

SPR

I’ve noticed something very strange in both my tanks with regards to the green/blue chromis

Their in both systems, one batch added to the S650 about 4 years ago, and another batch of about 9 I think added to the new system In December 2019 when it was set up.

There are exactly 5 left in each tank, all of a slightly different size from large to small.

It’s clearly their hierarchy and maybe 5 is the magic number......

1C3105EE-3DE3-4CF2-8390-E0E48BC55A9A.jpeg 5DEFB8D9-85BC-4C2A-9FA7-28333AD1FCD6.jpeg

Nobbygas

I’ve noticed something very strange in both my tanks with regards to the green/blue chromis

Their in both systems, one batch added to the S650 about 4 years ago, and another batch of about 9 I think added to the new system In December 2019 when it was set up.

There are exactly 5 left in each tank, all of a slightly different size from large to small.

It’s clearly their hierarchy and maybe 5 is the magic number......

View attachment 50430 View attachment 50431
I added seven. Only the big ole male left all on his lonesome now. I won't be buying them again. I'll stick with Anthias, or as a recommendation, Royal Grammas. I have two and they stick together. I think three or four would look fantastic, plus they have great colouration. People tend to keep just the one in their tanks, but they do group together when more than one.

SPR

So you remember this little fella, well I got him a friend to put him to work, like as a team

b935325c-6c54-4da5-8d30-a40668377411-jpeg.1672331

I poured him into my acclimatisation device (a 5 litre jug!) and he immediately jumped out like a scud missile! Having wrestled him out of the sink, back into the jug he went with a cover over the top.

Then into the tank and a few hours later they were making friends.

I was looking at the tank this morning thinking were is he, with a sort of nervous, WERE IS HE.......

Then I sort of looked down the side of the tank at one end on the floor, and there he was, looking a little crispy!

Now remember the top of my tank is fully enclosed with nets and things, so the stupid creature must have launched himself to oblivion like a Brahmos missile (google it!). So that’s £34 fine English pounds and a fish life down the toilet!

SPR

Ive come to the conclusion that this fellow isn't very sociable and doesn’t like sharing his sand

Ive added 2 additional orange spot gobies, over the last few weeks. The first jumped out in fear for his life, and the second, well, so far has disappeared presumed murdered!

So I’ve decided Im not going to risk third time lucky!

E8516C65-2B89-49C3-B2BC-F8F45CF1B38F.jpeg

Nobbygas

I did read somewhere, or it may have been a drunken dream, that they need one square meter of sand to feed themselves. I would have thought two would happily co-exist in your tank.

SPR

I did read somewhere, or it may have been a drunken dream, that they need one square meter of sand to feed themselves. I would have thought two would happily co-exist in your tank.
Clearly not! Lol

However, he has literally burrowed his way to the left hand side of the tank under the rocks, which is about 1.5 metres away and started cleaning and piling the sand up now! I noticed a hole this morning had appeared and when I got home there he was happily working away.

I seem to have given him a little encouragement!

DCC946E5-2173-48BF-915E-3A4604AF344A.jpeg

SPR

The corals in the new tank are really starting to fill out now, infact I’ve got to be very selective on what I’m adding.

Some of the birds nest coral will be removed and replaced by more colourful SPS, it’s just a tank filler at the moment as it grows like a weed.

The tank is around 7 months old here

0EC146F7-1F7B-4C3D-AA34-42C10ACAF37C.jpeg

Pancho75

The corals in the new tank are really starting to fill out now, infact I’ve got to be very selective on what I’m adding.

Some of the birds nest coral will be removed and replaced by more colourful SPS, it’s just a tank filler at the moment as it grows like a weed.

The tank is around 7 months old here

View attachment 50457
Looking awesome Shaun, those SPS are looking great.

SPR

7 months old, it’s coming together nicely. The SPS are growing at a very healthy rate, and all parameters are stable. My little piece of ocean, or at least one of them anyway! Lol

AC2C1566-C775-461D-878A-6EA7BA6693EF.jpeg

Last edited:

rustyreefer

Yes it’s quieter because you can’t hear anything from the MP40’s other than when on 100% power in nutrient export mode when I hear a slight pulse, but that’s only for an hour and you can only just hear it.

Basically I’ve lost 4 pumps and their noise so yes it’s quieter. I wish I’d changed them years ago put it that way but that’s hindsight!

There is no comparison with the MP40’s there way better in so many ways, cleaning, flow, noise but I appreciate the reason the rear circulation pumps are designed that way for a complete system. I’m not knocking it as such at all.
I agree. Putting the mp40s in my tank and turning off the 4 circulation pumps has had a dramatic effect on my corals and tank in general. Most of the noise on my tank is from the RSM900 skimmer. I’ll replace it soon I am sure. It works well just a bit noisy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk