Shaun's 2000 Litre (530 USG) Living Reef & Red Sea Max S 650 LED Design & Build

SPR

I’ve been monitoring nitrate levels in the new tank every few weeks waiting for it to reach around 5ppm, infact I’ve been over feeding in the last week or so to try and get there quicker. I don’t want sterile water for various reasons and this has been the aim from the very start

There’s already 10 litres of Seachem Matrix in the system and today nitrates tested at around 8ppm so it’s time to slow the rise and implement the final stages of the nutrient export plan for nitrate control. I’m trying to avoid Nopox/carbon dosing if I can, for no reason other than if I don’t need to I won’t, if I do then fine.

The fish load will over the next few months increase significantly so I want to ensure measures are in place ready and established for when the bioload increases

So today I’ve added an additional 16 litres of Seachem Matrix and 4 litres of Seachem DeNitrate (for slower flow areas). So now we have 26 litres of Matrix and 4 litres of DeNitrate in place as the basis for the biological filtration in the system. Rowaphos controls phosphate which is locked down around 0-0.03ppm

Because of the massive size of the sump, all of this is contained within the first sump compartment under the X Filter, so I still have 1 completely spare sump section empty if needed.

Anyway this is what 20 litres looks like bagged

CA3078DD-EB0A-4457-815A-5F0AFFB97FB9.jpeg 065B350D-2830-4482-86B4-BC8194750BEB.jpeg 6C511EC5-1F8A-4008-9E50-6B1F5E7EB0D2.jpeg

SPR

The sump in the S650 is starting to look a bit ‘funky’ so I might need to get the python water changer out shortly, well over the next few months anyway..... when I can be bothered...

I always used to do water changes from the sump but since installing the DOS system that’s stopped.

How often to you clean yours out ?

Nobbygas

The sump in the S650 is starting to look a bit ‘funky’ so I might need to get the python water changer out shortly, well over the next few months anyway..... when I can be bothered...

I always used to do water changes from the sump but since installing the DOS system that’s stopped.

How often to you clean yours out ?
Probably once a year. My next job is to give the Chiller a bit of a 'flush'. The throughput has dropped dramatically so it needs a clean. I shall just leave it where it is and disconnect the in/out pipes. Then connect another two pipes and use a plastic container to hold a pump. The water/white vinegar mixture will then just circulate from the container through the chiller, with the output going into an old sump sock to stock any crap from re-circulating. Does that make sense?

Reactions: SPR

SPR

Probably once a year. My next job is to give the Chiller a bit of a 'flush'. The throughput has dropped dramatically so it needs a clean. I shall just leave it where it is and disconnect the in/out pipes. Then connect another two pipes and use a plastic container to hold a pump. The water/white vinegar mixture will then just circulate from the container through the chiller, with the output going into an old sump sock to stock any crap from re-circulating. Does that make sense?
Yes perfect. I tell you what’s worth a try this stuff

https://www.kilrock.co.uk/product/kilrock-k/

It was recommended by DD to remove calcium carbonate from the Deltec flow meter and it works a treat, just dissolves it. It’s a lot more powerful than vinegar although vinegar works it’s just slower.

The Kilrock is ideal for tight areas

Nobbygas

Do you use the Energy A+B at all on the new tank? I am at the end of my old stock and will start using the new stuff sometime in the coming few days.

Reactions: SPR

SPR

Do you use the Energy A+B at all on the new tank? I am at the end of my old stock and will start using the new stuff sometime in the coming few days.
Yes I add a mix of the new reef energy AB plus mixed with reef roids every Sunday in the new system and I even turn the Abyzz down to a set level to stop water going back into the sump

I usually add some to the S650 as well, although the nutrients are higher in that but I don’t turn anything off other than the skimmer

SPR

You have been too quiet. I know from experience this means you have been buying something. What did you get?
Well I picked up 4 new fish, nothing exciting.....

Cleaner wrasse, another wrasse but I can’t remember the name, a goby something and a bristletooth tang (I think!)

Without wishing to be predictable, I do have a new toy, that enables me to produce my own ‘distilled water’, for use as RODI of course

SPR

I’ve been asked for a slightly longer video of the new 2000 litre system so here you go. I hope you enjoy it anyway

The tank is around 5 1/2 months old, has no issues whatsoever.