Red Sea Max Flow

rustyreefer

I have never been super happy with the flow I get from the 4 circulation pumps and the return pump. Not because there isn't enough of it but because I can never seem to set the nozzles to a point where I get good indirect random flow.

Called Red Sea. No options there. I was even considering buying the new wave maker they just released and plugging the 4 circulation pump holes up. No options to do that either.

What is everyone else doing? Are you having the same issue? I see the VCA random flow generators as well as the innovative marine spin stream. Anyone having success with either? Other options I should consider?

Thanks in advance

Reactions: SPR

RedSeaKev

RS Sponsor
Hi Rustyreefer. This is not something I have done myself as I no longer have a Max S.

A Red Sea Max S customer I assisted by suggesting the following, remove the of the 4 pumps, install a length of hose with Tee's fitted to marry up to the other original flow nozzles, this will keep the water flow active in the rear chamber, he had already changed out his 4 x Hydra 26HD for ReefLED 90's he then purchased 2 x ReefWave 45's which he mounted in the back corners of the aquarium and is delighted with the results.

rustyreefer

Hi Rustyreefer. This is not something I have done myself as I no longer have a Max S.

A Red Sea Max S customer I assisted by suggesting the following, remove the of the 4 pumps, install a length of hose with Tee's fitted to marry up to the other original flow nozzles, this will keep the water flow active in the rear chamber, he had already changed out his 4 x Hydra 26HD for ReefLED 90's he then purchased 2 x ReefWave 45's which he mounted in the back corners of the aquarium and is delighted with the results.

Just to ensure I am clear. How many of the return pumps did you recommend to remove? All but 1?

Thanks for the response and the suggestion!

SPR

Ive taken all 4 rear circulation pumps completely out because I hated cleaning them as they were difficult to reach. It didn’t have any problems with the flow, I just hated cleaning them with the tangle of wires etc.

I have an MP40 at each end of the tank and they work perfectly. In my case there controlled by Apex via the WXM module so the flow patterns generated are far better

And cleaning them, well you just lift it out, soak it, and put it back it, it’s a joy!

It’s effectively made the rear chamber obsolete but you could fill it with media (Matrix etc) and maybe add a small power head if you wanted some flow to keep it clean but I haven’t so far and it seems fine

rustyreefer

Ive taken all 4 rear circulation pumps completely out because I hated cleaning them as they were difficult to reach. It didn’t have any problems with the flow, I just hated cleaning them with the tangle of wires etc.

I have an MP40 at each end of the tank and they work perfectly. In my case there controlled by Apex via the WXM module so the flow patterns generated are far better

And cleaning them, well you just lift it out, soak it, and put it back it, it’s a joy!

It’s effectively made the rear chamber obsolete but you could fill it with media (Matrix etc) and maybe add a small power head if you wanted some flow to keep it clean but I haven’t so far and it seems fine
Thanks SPR
I really love the clean look that the rear chamber gives the tank and not having wires in the display.
I think I am going to try the VCA nozzles and see if they help at all. If not, I am likely going to do exactly what you did, take them out and add something to both ends. The MP40s are definitely on my list of ones to check out since I am running all APEX currently.

SPR

Thanks SPR
I really love the clean look that the rear chamber gives the tank and not having wires in the display.
I think I am going to try the VCA nozzles and see if they help at all. If not, I am likely going to do exactly what you did, take them out and add something to both ends. The MP40s are definitely on my list of ones to check out since I am running all APEX currently.
With the MP40’s there are no wires in the tank, just the wet side power heads and the only wire you can see is the one from the dry side but it’s all neatly pinned to the tank. honestly after about an hour you don’t even notice them

I’ve got MP60’s/40’s in my new system as well, there pretty good and especially when integrated with Apex.

RedSeaKev

RS Sponsor
Just to ensure I am clear. How many of the return pumps did you recommend to remove? All but 1?

Thanks for the response and the suggestion!

Hi yes, the customer removed 3, in leaving the 1 it was able to run all the flow nozzles, granted much slower, you'd still get in the region of 550 litres per flow nozzle.

rustyreefer

With the MP40’s there are no wires in the tank, just the wet side power heads and the only wire you can see is the one from the dry side but it’s all neatly pinned to the tank. honestly after about an hour you don’t even notice them

I’ve got MP60’s/40’s in my new system as well, there pretty good and especially when integrated with Apex.
Didn't notice that. like that a lot!

Nobbygas

Kevin, is there a 'split hose end' thingy that you could recommend for an S-650 main Return Nozzle? The Red Sea one seems as though it is only for Reefers?

rustyreefer

Snapped on just fine.
Definitely breaks up the flow. Also slows it down a bit which I am not sure I am going to like. Time will tell.
473e5d083f98443947fa01538cbb42c6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rustyreefer

Decided on MP40s and ordered two today. Can’t wait to get them in and have more control of flow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well I guess I wasn't as excited as I thought I was. I let them sit for nearly a month before installing them. Put them in last night and set to Lagoon at about 75% for now. Ordered a WMX today so I can hook to Apex and create a bit more of a schedule.

Shaun curious how you set yours for your RSM650. A lot of folks use Reefcrest from what I can see. I have a good bit of torches and a few hammers along with some softies. So mostly LPS and Soft coral.
Reefcrest seemed to drop off intensity a good bit more than I wanted. May do a bit of both along with 10 minutes of the nutrient transport mode post feeding.

SPR

This is what I run on an MP60 in my big tank, sort of a mix of them all. The S650 has a similar schedule on the MP40’s

8E7E93C3-293E-4569-9435-A5408BE66459.jpeg