ToeSloth's Serenity! RSM 130D

ToeSloth

Getting ready to start the task list

a6535a457e7889e7ee821417b3bd810f.jpg

4aaf94226cdd744f0c72228b30cef5b6.jpg

ToeSloth

Edited: 6 hours in now and removing the calk/rubber sealing around after we removed the rim is taking longer than anything else we have done so far. Reading through threads for what removed silicon the best...Steel Wool and elbow grease are getting it done but it takes time.

I'm ready to put the sand back in and set the rocks back up but we have to finish cleaning the edge of the tank first. Whoever did this before and said it was easy/quick...we need to talk... :0

Chris

Last edited:

ToeSloth

OK - I finished with all the tasks around 9:15 pm on the list - it was a long day for sure but it turned out well from all I can tell at the moment. I will post pictures in the morning - I took a lot along the way but I will save the 3+ hours it took using steel wool to get the left over silicone off the glass...

discol76

Wow that was long day for you. Hope you are happy with the result. I didnt realise it would be so difficult to remove the rim also. Look forward to your pictures.

ToeSloth

First post rim removal post - here are the pics I took along with a bit of advice from my experience. I wouldn’t remove the rim unless you completely empty the tank if you use a hacksaw some sort of razor blades and steel wool to remove the silicone residuals. I used a wallpaper remover which is pretty much a razor blade on steroids and the steel wool to remove the rest. This took 3+ hours and thank goodness the tank was empty because there were plastic and wool shavings everywhere!!!!

Here’s a few shots of the cuts locations and rim removal.

33b9aac88172070efc895b2a01d3a799.jpg

59233bf5a63b3a6e12c107885fe1d944.jpg

d9d73c1257caa66f46723ba03ca89d45.jpg

85aa429068ad67e1f91368fc7934091f.jpg

9edb4524c61eacad54769e8669baea16.jpg

Water levels or skimmer height in the back need to be adjusted a bit as Skimmer is throwing a lot of bubbles this morning but besides that things are looking alright so far with the few corals I had and my clown.

Chris

discol76

Nice one well done for persevering. You happy with how it turned out? I think it totally transforms the look of the tank. Look forward to seeing a full tank shot.

ToeSloth

Nice one well done for persevering. You happy with how it turned out? I think it totally transforms the look of the tank. Look forward to seeing a full tank shot.
Still cloudy and I need to pull the 9001 skimmer to look at my it’s all of sudden just producing so many bubbles into the tank

377e81804efeca4d03ecf98f58a17b9b.jpg

9ef07210d63114fe3ecd60f8c910bbbf.jpg

a5016e3623d1e786155fe804c642717e.jpg

ToeSloth

Did you sort the micro bubbles and has it the water cleared up ok?
The water cleared up really nice by the morning today and the fish and coral are doing great so far!

The skimmer I think is running like it’s breaking in and no matter the adjustments I make it is creating micro bubbles.

I ordered a sump today from LifeReef for the RSM and working through the details on it with him now. I’m so excited I want to scream!

Hope you are having a good start to your week!

Chris

ToeSloth

Wow didnt know you were planning on adding a sump. You doing an external overflow?
Yes I’m doing the Lifereef overflow as well with the silencer.

Still having the age old problem with the 9001 with micro bubbles and I have tried everything. I will let it run I guess until it goes away or until I get the sump.

I have done a bit of maintenance and started dosing Reef Energy A & B (the old stuff) and notice nice results even in a couple of days from candy canes and zoas.

Chris

ToeSloth

Acrylic is in and being cut for the sump! I added a few zoas and a lawnmower blenny this past week.

Running Red Foundation ABC and the older AB Coral growth and seeing nice incremental results. It will take me forever to go through the A&B in the 500ml bottles on this tank at 4ml increments before I get to buy the new product they just came back into stock.

I have been reading about Skimmers to see if I want to make a change when I add the sump. In reading 10 years of posts I really don’t understand why we the industry have not come up with better options for nano skimmers that just work especially for the prices they are charging. Too many fine adjustments needs and micro bubbles galore - don’t @ me about break in either! ;). Thinking maybe a Venturi in the sump if I can find one that fits, it not I may have one made.

Hope everyone has a great Friday and heads into the weekend healthy!

discol76

You cant do an update without pics lol. Sorry to hear you are still having issues with micro bubbles. I promise I wont mention "skimmer breaking in" again:roflmao: